Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Darby One Design hydro...
Darby One Design hydro...
(621 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 759
23rd Sep 2018 16:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46480

Hi all, here's progress on the Darby One Design. Got these pics just before it started peeing down, so no Chris-Craft pics.

Fitted a brushless outrunner I found in a box. Might work, might not...
Home made prop shaft/tube, home made off-set rudder.

Planked balsa top cover to keep weight down.

1/6th scale 26"long, 10" beam.

Thick grey cellulose primer to act as a light filler for scratches, etc.

Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2018 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46518

Just got a first colour coat on the under side of the hull. Rustoleum from a rattle can. Thin, but highly pigmented, so be careful of runs. Only £5-25 a tin. Excellent value.

Martin

boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 58
26th Sep 2018 18:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46551

Westquay- Where did you get that hull. It looks great. I also have a spare brushless plus esc from a recently deceased surface drive hydro and I do prefer the submerged drive like yours. I have been searching second hand shops, the local flea market and car boot sales but found nothing.

Boaty😊

Dave Keech
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2018 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46553

Dave , I made it. I found plans in a 1954 copy of the Motor Boat Annual I borrowed from the National Powerboat Museum at Pitsea, before the stupid bastards on the council threw it away in preference for mud huts for snotty nosed brats to go mad in. Only today I finally got some pictures from the Oulton Broad club with pics of the Darby boasts I hadn't seen, which show that the top cowling was always built a little higher than the plans show, so I shall be making some slight changes to the fixed portions. The photos show the fixed sections to be done with stringers and fabric, a la aeroplane fuselage. You can't buy decent older powerboats as kits or ready mades. Nobody gives a toss about speedboat models in this country, alas. Even though we had a very busy world of inboard race boats at one time. Now, all is boring outboards. The 1500 cc inboard classes gave us a lot of great racing just pre and post-War.
Here are three in one race. "WHO'S DARBY?", Dawn, a Whippet class and Miss Windermere, another One design, like the Oulton Broad One design, all three are 1500 cc class boats. There wqere also boats of under 950cc and even a Singer Cadet class with a Singer Le Mans 1100 cc engine. The Singer Commodore had a 6 cylinder 1500, a gorgeous engine. Both Singers were designed by Percy See at Shoreham and had diagonal reverse clinker construction. I have plans if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Martin

boaty
(Admiral)

26th Sep 2018 23:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46567

Very true, there isint a lot of interest in speedboats today. I remember some great ones when I was a child in the late 1950s and early 60s. I once saw an Albatross on a lake in Scarborough that was towing a water skier in 1959. I believe that is was made of aluminium instead of wood but it did have an inboard engine. . Another one I remember was the Dowty Turbocraft powered by a water jet driven by an inboard petrol engine . This was on the Southport Marine lake in 1961 and attracted a lot of spectators. It is up to us as model makers to keep the memories alive by what we build and sail.

Boaty😎

Dave Keech
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2329
26th Sep 2018 23:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46568

Hear hear Boaty👍,
The memories my ships try to keep alive are perhaps not quite the same , but the principle is! Cheers, Doug 👍

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2018 23:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46569

Dowty Turbocraft was smiled upon by Donald Campbell as a service vessel after he'd used Albatrosses. It's thought it was a bit of wash from the Dowty that caused his final crash.
i
I used to have a Mk 1 Albatross, Hull 137, but nI couldn't use it anywhere fast due to river speed limits, so I flogged it. It was all riveted aluminium, made by ex Spitfire makers. The countersunk rivets, after over 50 years were so well applied you just couldn't see them. Amazing craftsmanship, but when they were first on sale, they were the price of a small house! I paid rather less, rebuilt the engine, repainted it and flogged it for a lot more, then made a 1/6th scale model of it and sold that to a man who owns most of the boathouses round Windermere. A Ford 1172 sidevalve engined boat would tow 2 water skiers amazingly.
There's a website called Old Speed Boats that deals with Dowty Turbocraft well.

Cheers,
Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 408
27th Sep 2018 05:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46577

Re the Dowty at Southport. For a fee you could ride in it. Scary!!👍

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46583

Colin Re the diesel without ether Are you sure it was Methanol you were 👍given and not ether? Further to this a mate has tried various combinations of diesel and Methanol without success and was using a NEW Mills 1:3 . Over the years various people have tried to run diesels without ether but without much joy. Even if they got them to run they had to have ether to start them off.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 15:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46584

If he didn't nod off as soon as he opened it it was probably methanol 😁😁

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 414
27th Sep 2018 17:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46585

Definitely methanol, I have just checked with the flight engineer who it came from on the camp. He said any type of ethanol would have been okay but that's what they use.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 18:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46587

Aha! 'Fell off the back of a chopper' Eh Colin ? 😁

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 20:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46592

Shhhh, hush hush, musn't divulge my source.
But the skills of the team are the best in the world.
Cheers Colin

COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 21:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46600

Well Colin I'm amazed Because even alcohol fuels need an ignition source .Usually in model engines a Glow plug sometimes a spark plug.Is there anything else in the mix? BTW see my modified post above. We are all fascinated to know how it was done.👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 21:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46601

I al;ways had to go to the chemist and buy ether and amyl nitrate for my Uncle to mix his own diesel. No methanol.

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 21:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46603

No just regular diesel with a few drops of methanol, as its a diesel engine it's compression ignition and the methanol is just an additive to clean up the combustion, it's basically a sports mixture used by the fly boys for their helicopters.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 22:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46604

Westie You got that right but find me a chemist you can get it from now.🤔👍

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 22:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46606

It only came my way by an interested fellow modeller who can't be named or location given away. Hush hush job and all that.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 22:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46607

Well Col tell us about these choppers. What engines are they using. Ignition type etc . Because if you can reproduce this fuel you could make a fortune flogging it.😁👍 No names no pack drill we don't need to know that just the blend of the fuel.🤔 This secret has been sought after for years.😤

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 22:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46608

As I have never seen one up close I don't know. They only fly inside the camp, but some of the pilots fish in my local lake which is behind the camp, and we chat about models in general and they will sometimes offer help in getting my boat down to the water. They offer advice on my radio systems as the old vintage stuff I have can cause interference. So they advised me to use 2.4ghz here. Next time I meet with one of them I will ask about the engine details.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Sep 2018 23:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46612

Thanks Col as this has really put a bee in my bonnet. Talking of which ---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dy8MwLXBA

boaty
(Admiral)

28th Sep 2018 01:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46613

Martin, I am amazed at your knowledge and skills.
I like your reference to the possibility that wake from the Dowty was the possible cause of Donald Campbell's crash. I had heard before about wake being a factor as he turned around after his first run without refuelling. This led to the theory that it could have been his own wake as the cause . So many theories about the crash and all are valid as it could have been a combination of many.

Boaty😊

Dave Keech
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Sep 2018 09:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46618

It certainly could, Dave. I tend to think a residual wake from his own craft is as good a cause as any as you say he didn't refuel as he was keen to get his second, return, run in for the record, which he would definitely have achieved as he had already gone much quicker on the first. It's reckoned he was doing around 340mph when the accident happened. A great loss.

Colin, not sure why your thread is on this one, but in a helicopter the only engine you would find, would be a glow engine, not a diesel. So I think we're still looking into an easy way to make our own model diesel fuel. The only reason our little engines are called diesel is because, like a big diesel in a car or lorry, ours are compression ignition. A glow engine is merely a 2 stroke with the glow plug taking the place of the sparks system on a petrol powered engine. And of course, as if to prove that is the proliferation of 4 stroke glow (and now petrol) engines. Or gas engines as the Americans call them. And they have shot into use because petrol is comparatively cheap and there are small electronic ignition systems of great reliability now available.

Martin