Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Carry case.
Carry case.
(458 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
14th Oct 2018 13:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47112

Hi all,
just made a carry case for the Crash Tender which should prevent damage to all the sticky out bits when I glue em on.
White faced hardboard, framed with 1x1 free packing timber from the wood yard and screws bought for 50p a box from a boot fair. Handles will be rope from the same wood yard, so that the whole box is carried, not just the top board. Ally scrap cut on the bandsaw and bent to shape in the workmate so that the front panel is the slide-in "lid". Stands will be made for the boat and foam glued in to protect edges.

Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Gregg
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 212
15th Oct 2018 16:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47127

Hope you don't mind a suggestion. Make the stand as a separate item, so you can slide the stand and boat out as one. Just glue some guides for the stand to the base so it cant move about, otherwise it means you will have to lift the boat up a fair way to overcome the height of the stand sides, risking damage to the masts and aerials. ;) Or make the roof panel of the box, slide same as the side panel, but you have to slide the side panel out first, so they interlock.

Best wishes.

Gregg
Secretary: Chasewater Model Boat Club.
http:chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they say...."
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Oct 2018 17:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47129

Hi Gregg,
something of that ilk was planned for the reasons you give. The thing is a tight fit because that's how the wood worked out, but it just goes in with space for foam protection. I had a clear out in the workroom yesterday in the gloomy weather and I found the Yeomans fittings kit I so recently cleaned up. I thought I'd misplaced them and clean forgotten where, but they were, in fact, in one of many drawers saying Boat bits. So another weekend sometime soon will be glue the bits on time.

Cheers,
Martin

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
20th Oct 2018 16:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47291

Heavy - and hardboard swells if it gets wet...

I prefer Correx - see here http://eezebilt.tk/box1.html

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Oct 2018 18:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47293

It's not very heavy and it won't get wet!

I just needed something to stop the boats getting knocked about. I can't be arsed with fancy carpentry. I already have cases for the Sea Urchin and Veron Veronica which are a mixture of thinnish ply and hardboard. They're in the loft.

And what IS Correx?

Martin

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

20th Oct 2018 19:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47295

"It's not very heavy and it won't get wet!"

Unless you never put it down on wet grass, and drain and then towel your boats after use before putting them back, it will. Be sure to get all the water out of the prop-tube....

" I can't be arsed with fancy carpentry. "

No carpentry involved. The material is like cardboard, and you just cut it out with a Stanley knife and fold it. Takes between 10 and 30 mins to make a box from scratch...

" And what IS Correx? "

Sometimes known as 'twin-flute', it's the stuff estates agent's boards are made of, amongst a myriad of other uses. A twin-walled polypropylene rather like a kind of cardboard made of plastic. Very tough, feather-light and impact-resistant. Self-coloured (many colours available) and completely waterproof. Needs no framing - the sides are strong enough on their own...

See the link for full description, place to get it and plans...

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

20th Oct 2018 20:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47298

Compartmentalisation is easy too - here is a 40" box with a separate section for the radio and a lift-out drawer for the masts, etc...

Just pop-rivet a few off-cuts in. This is an EezeBilt OSA Missile boat.