Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (26)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Vic Smeed's 'Waterbaby'
Vic Smeed's 'Waterbaby'
(608 views)
Xtal
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
22nd Oct 2018 11:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47366

I have a 'WaterBaby' 25" R/C Pond Yacht built to a 1950s designed by Vic Smeed. I'd like to hear from fellow 'Water Baby' owners.
One issue of interest is the keel weight which seems a little too heavy so the boat lies a little too low in the water. Has anyone made modifications to the keel? What is the best way to do this and how do you maintain good fore and aft trim?

Attached Files - Click To View Large

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
23rd Oct 2018 14:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47398

More photos would help in particular the keel.
Can you identify which parts of the keel are lead? If you can then you could just drill holes into it (as close to rear as possible) to reduce its weight. Keep drilling and doing buoyancy tests until you are happy then leave it to dry out before filling the holes with car body filler.

Xtal
(Seaman)

23rd Oct 2018 19:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47401

Many thanks for your helpful reply. The line between the wooden hull and the lead part of the keel is very clear so knowing where to drill will not be a problem. Do you think a fostner drill bit in a hand drill (slow speed) will be best for drilling lead. Its something I've not done before so any advice would be much appreciated.
I will put some more pictures up hopefully tomorrow.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 796
23rd Oct 2018 20:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47405

I think a Forstner cutter would be a bit vicious for lead and a bit big. Use say an 8mm drill and use a drill with a decent speed control. Start the holes by hand to ensure they go where you want. I would say start by drilling in the aft part of the keel as the boat appears to be arse down a bit. If there's any internal ballast , move it forrard.

Cheers,
Martin

Xtal
(Seaman)

27th Oct 2018 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47487

Many thanks Martin.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 461
28th Oct 2018 13:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47519

As Westie said don't use a Forstner it will take out too much at once. Use the 8 mm evenly both sides. Go gently.👍👍 Also see if any ballast has been added inside. This was often done to reduce heeling . It defeated it's own object as reducing the freeboard still put the lee rail under when heeling. Also what batteries are you using? A change to lighter ones may help. Lipos maybe but they may reduce duration.Nimhs may be a compromise. Or the ABC types All this assuming you are using R/c.

Xtal
(Seaman)

29th Oct 2018 08:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47540

Thanks for the advice. I have changed to a smaller battery and moved it fwrd (it is R/C). I have also tried to see if there is any internal ballast but that's not easy without removing the deck.
I think its time to drill the lead keel as suggested. I have found a local expert who says he will do the job! Will report on progress.
Many thanks.
John

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 461
29th Oct 2018 21:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47560

You don't need an expert. Just go for it carefully yourself. Lead is easy to drill.Re internal ballast I would remove at least part of the deck to looksee.👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 796
30th Oct 2018 12:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47569

You really need to be self reliant on these simpler tasks, rather than use a local "expert". There is no such thing as an expert on drilling keels! And if he suggests he is...avoid him!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2481
30th Oct 2018 20:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47573

Heartily agree Martin 👍
How does one become an 'expert'?
LEARNING BY DOING!!! 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎
As they say in this neck o the woods 'Übung macht den Meister' - 'Practice makes the master'!

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Wingcoax
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 21
31st Oct 2018 10:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47595

As the late Derek(Blaster)Bates said," Ex is something that has been" and "spurt is a drip under pressure"

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2481
31st Oct 2018 10:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47596

Luv it 😁😁👍

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug