Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (23)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Your ideas on how to stabilize a flat-bottomed freighter.
Your ideas on how to stabilize a flat-bottomed freighter.
(362 views)
Ron
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 181
22nd Oct 2018 23:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47387

After adding the needed weights to bring this freighter down to a loaded ship water line, the model rocks n rolls. It needs either a keel or exterior stability fins. What is your experience? Please share with us.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 499
23rd Oct 2018 11:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47391

you could consider using some of the modern tech and fitting active stabilizers there are a lot of cheap solid state gyros and if your receiver does not have enough free inputs and outputs an arduino mini could handle the logic.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
Ron
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 181
23rd Oct 2018 13:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47395

https://www.marineinsight.com/naval-architecture/roll-stabil...

I chose to add a bilge keel to begin with in the search of stability.

RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 111
23rd Oct 2018 22:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47407

Think a bilge keel should be the first step. My next suggestion would be to add some of the ballast to a removable fin keel, bolted to the underside of the hull. This will increase the righting moment, but not the weight. This can be seen if you examine U Tube videos of cruise ships and liners. They have so much superstructure they are inherently unstable.
Have built several freighters and always fit captive nuts into the keel or underside. These are intended for trunnion display mounts, but have always been prepared to bolt a keel on if needed. The nuts can easily be sealed when sailing.

DennisRobotham
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 18
26th Oct 2018 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47469

Hi Ron, had the same problem with my 8'-6'' HMS Fearless when I first launched it. Took out all the ballast, weighed it then replaced it with a solid steel keel on edge bolted to the underside of my boat.... cured and never any more problem since. Fast boats go past it and it sits still with the wake going along side, just like the real one. It gave the boat a stabilising keel and put all the ballast 60 mm lower than being inside the boat. Good luck with yours, interested as to how it turns out.

Dennis G.V.M.B.C