Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 8 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (32)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > HMS M.33
HMS M.33
(487 views)
steve-d
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 34
28th Oct 2018 18:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47527

Does anyone have info on plans or kits for this WW1 Monitor.
Have an urge to build her despite having too many other things to do.
Thanks
Steve

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

5th Nov 2018 22:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47752

Bit the bullet and bought the kit from Deans Marine.
Still got no space to build it.

I won't be able to build it as fast as the original which was ordered in March 1915, she was launched May 22nd and commissioned in June.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2409
5th Nov 2018 22:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47757

Good luck Steve,
Know exactly what you mean about both biting the bullet (Deans kit prices!) and space!
Earlier this year I bought the Deans kit for HMS Manxman, one of the Abdiel class fast Minelayer / Cruisers. Had been fascinated by this ship since I built the Airfix 1/600 version as a kid and read about her history on the Malta resupply runs and minelaying at Genoa, where I have recently worked with the Fincantieri shipyard.
She's my main winter project,WHEN I have some bench space available, she's about 1.5m LoA!! I must say though, the kits aren't cheap but pretty comprehensive 😊 some fettling of the fittings seem to be necessary though.
Bon chance with your Monitor, interesting subject 👍
Look forward to your build blog.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
5th Nov 2018 22:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47759

Which kit is that Doug.? Looks like a nice vessel.👍

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

5th Nov 2018 22:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47761

That's neat all the plastic tray compartments for the fittings.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 23:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47765

Yep! an there's 'undreds of 'em Steve 😉
Took me most of an afternoon to do an inventory check 😁
PS: and all the superstructure and deck parts are on printed plasticard sheets!
Hoooray for scroll saws 😁

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 23:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47769

Evenin' John,
HMS Manxman was an Abdiel class fast minelayer.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/HMS_Manxman_(M70)
She wasn't much bigger than a destroyer leader at 400ft or so, but had the power plant of a cruiser 😲
There is a wonderful 'anecdote' that she was once steaming through the Med from Gibraltar to Alexandria when she ran across an American carrier group, which she shadowed for a while. The US Admiral increased speed to 30 knots to 'shake her off' whereupon Manxman accelerated to 40 knots and swept by signalled "See you in Egypt".
When I first saw this story the signal was "See you in Alex"!
Curiously the Wikiwand entry mentions the Pacific! Which can't be right cos the incident was supposed to have occurred in the Med during the Suez schemozzle in 1956!
Here a bit of her history
http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-07ML-Manxman.htm
Despite getting bashed about in WW2 she survived and remained in service in various guises until 1970 - when we still had a navy!
Cheers, Doug 😎
Here the Dean's link. like I said; not cheap but comprehensive!
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4...

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

6th Nov 2018 20:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47845

That was quick.
Kit M.33 arrived just before lunch today.
Got some bit counting to do.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 23:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47854

... and then start the Build Blog Steve 😁👍
Bon chance, Doug

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

7th Nov 2018 00:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47856

I will do a blog but for now the build will have to wait until I have space. With an almost six foot long boat on the bench there is no space.

Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Nov 2018 09:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47860

I know the feeling Steve
I have the same problem with my 1/96 Deans HMS Manxman 😲
Happy Monitoring, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Nov 2018 09:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47882

Apropos Info Steve,
I guess you can pop along to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard for a gander and measure up on the original! 😊 Happy crawling about 😁
Cheers, Doug
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/HMS_M33

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/M29-class_monitor

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

8th Nov 2018 10:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47883

I only live a handful of miles away and have a dockyard ticket that runs out at the end of the year so have already planned to go down next week and take a ton of pictures.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Nov 2018 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47885

Satellite view!

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
8th Nov 2018 14:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47890

Phew Doug you're right about the price. Too rich for my pocket I'm afraid. Re the anecdote It's somewhat apochryphal I think as I heard of a similar tale somewhere in the China Sea. The signal was see you in Saigon I think. I don't recall the vessels involved though.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Nov 2018 16:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47900

Hi John,
When I retired I one of my savings funds matured and I used it to renew the 'chariot' (Toyota Verso Exec) and used some of the 'leftovers' to treat myself to the Manxman and also a kit for an Akula 2 Russian sub; complete with all necessary static diving and safety equipment. 😊
Next expenditure on that scale for model ships will be in the next life. If I'm reborn as a cat or a warthog I'll have a problem 😲
BTW you can also get a hull only from Deans. £91.40.
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/26_33/p...
And I have a complete set of plans in pdf format if you're interested.

Think you're right about the anecdote, the version seems to depend on where the sailor recounting it was serving or had served 😉
Anyway; the Abdiel class ships were well capable of doing that.
The USN Carrier Groups run out of 'puff' at about 32-34 knots (Nimitz class) whereas Manxman still had 6 to 8 knots in hand 😁
All the best, Doug 😎
BTW; What were you up to 'somewhere in the China Sea'?
Ten years or so ago I spent about an hour n a half circling above the Yellow / East China Sea after take off from Seoul, S. Korea. I had just spent an interesting week at the Daewoo shipyard.
Plane had some problem with the undercarriage, wouldn't retract according to the cockpit display!😲 so we circled dumping fuel before landing back at Seoul. Nobody was sure if it would fold up on landing or not, it didn't, big PHEW! 😊

nick
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 1
9th Nov 2018 05:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47911

Manxman was about when I was in the RN in the sixties.
She was involved in an exercise with the Yanks. The yanks were controlling things and designated Manxman as a hospital ship . She was restricted to ten knots or so.
At the end of the exercise about the middle of the Atlantic.
The whole fleet were heading for Pompy for some shoreleave.
Cin C USN told Manxman to make 15 Kts. Then later make twenty if she could!
Now Manxman was one of the last RN ships that actually LOOKED like a warship.
Captain of Manxman had by now worked out what was transpiring.He sent a signal to Whitehall explaining what was what.
Signal to Manxman.... Flash boilers three, four, five and six and proceed independently to Portsmouth.
Shortly after this she circled the whole fleet twice at forty knots and disappeared over the horizon in a cloud of spray and steam!
Her crew where home on leave for at least two days before America's finest turned up in Pompy!
Regards Nick Viner.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Nov 2018 11:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47914

"Manxman was about when I was in the RN in the sixties."
Yes Nick, but by then apparently not in her original form, role or speed!
Cheers, Doug 😎
"Summary of Post War Service.

HMS MANXMAN was first deployed to support the repatriation of British and nationals of allied nations and carried stores and supplies from Sydney to Japan. On later trips she went to Shanghai and Hong Kong which was used as the base for the BPF in 1946 and 47. In June 1946 the ship returned to UK and was refitted at Sheerness before returning for further service with the BPF in February 1947 as relief for HM Cruiser EURYALUS. At the end of that year she was nominated for reduction to reserve status and returned to join the Reserve Fleet at Sheerness.

In 1951 this ship was brought forward for operational use and following a refit joined the Mediterranean Fleet in September 1951. After two years she was again placed in Reserve and laid-up in Malta where she remained until again refitted. The after 4” mounting was removed and she re-commissioned in February 1956 for duty as Flagship of the Mediterranean Fleet Flotillas. During this service she took part in relied operations after an earthquake in the Lebanon as well as taking part in NATO and Fleet exercises in the Mediterranean. She was deployed for headquarters duties during the Suez operation later in 1956 and the next year returned to Malta to lay-up in Reserve.

Refitted for further service after tow to Gibraltar in 1958 she returned to lay up Malta until 1961 when she was selected for conversion into a Support Ship for minesweepers at Chatham where she was taken in hand by HM Dockyard on 17th July that year. During this work the other two 4” mountings and two boiler rooms were removed which reduced her speed significantly.
Additional accommodation and support workshops were fitted to suit her new role and work was completed during February 1963. Whilst on trials in April 1963 she visited the Isle of Man where she grounded whilst in Douglas Bay. On returned to Chatham the ship prepared for service in the Far East and re-commissioned on 23rd September that year for support of the 6th Minesweeping Squadron at Singapore. She deployed in that role until late in 1968 and arrived at Portsmouth on 12th December."

"In reserve at Malta and refitting

She was refitted in Chatham in the early 60's and converted to a minesweeper support vessel. When the forward boiler was removed and the compartment was fitted with diesel generators to supply outboard power to minesweepers, she was fitted with a dummy forward funnel, which housed the diesel exhausts and ventilation for the compartment. Much of the mine stowage was removed to make way for additional accommodation. Commissioning in 1963, she was subsequently stationed in Singapore.

Returning to the UK in 1968, Manxman was used for engineering training at Devonport and following a fire, was transferred to the reserve at Chatham Dockyard until broken up at Newport in 1973."