Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 8 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Wild Duck Sailboat article
Wild Duck Sailboat article
(568 views)
Peejay
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 8
5th Nov 2018 07:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47725

I came across the Wild Duck by chance, as I bought the June 2017 Model Boats back issue for Glynne Guest's Nomad Tramp Steamer article. There is an ad for the July 2017 issue with a picture of the Wild Duck, the construction article with plans in the upcoming issue. I really like the looks of Wild Duck, so I ordered that issue and the January 2010 issue from the Magazine Exchange. I got a confirmation of the order and notification of the sellers.

The January issue arrived a couple of months ago, but Wild Duck's July 2017 never arrived. I have contacted Magazine Exchange 3 times requesting status, by replying to the address on the order confirmation e-mail with no reply. I also note that the July 17 issue with plans is no longer available. I have found a source for a copy of the plan, only, but I would prefer the article and plan.

if anyone here has that issue, I would gladly reimburse them for copying costs and postage, or you could email me a scan of the article, and I would buy the Sarik Hobbies copy of the plan. I would really like to get a response from the Magazine Exchange, so if anyone has a contact address, I would really appreciate it, since I have already paid them for the issue and postage. The least they could do is give me a digital copy of that issue.

Rant aside, I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has built the Wild Duck. Thanks for listening!

So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2403
5th Nov 2018 10:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47727

Hi PJ,
Not sure if this will work for you but give it a whirl.
It's a link to the Online version, without the plan I'm afraid🤔.
https://pocketmags.com/onlinereader/html5_reader/false/15006...
If it works go to page 10 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Peejay
(Petty Officer)

6th Nov 2018 00:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47780

Thanks, Doug.

Good try. When I went to the link, it asked me for my "pocketmagazines" user name and password. I appreciate your response, though.

Cheers!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 00:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47782

Was afraid of that PJ 🤔 I have a digital subscription to Model Boats!
What I can try is to 'Snip' the relevant pages to Jpeg files and post them or mail them to you if that helps?
Cheers, Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Peejay
(Petty Officer)

6th Nov 2018 00:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47783

If the program will let you print, and the magazine is a .pdf, you can select the page range on the print menu. If not, one thing that has worked for me is to do a "Print Screen command," (Ctrl PrtScn) and paste into a document, such as Word.

Peejay
(Petty Officer)

6th Nov 2018 00:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47784

Since I would only be needing magazine sized files, the jpegs should work, too.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 01:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47785

Hi PJ,
The reader is HTML5 and not a pdf file unfortunately.
The reader does have a print command, where you can also select page ranges, but when I try it the prints come out oversize so that there's only about a third of the page actually printed.
And yes, I've b******d about with all possible printer settings (on the 3 printers available to me) all to no avail. Seems that the reader App overrides my own printer drivers!😡
Best solution I found up to now, and used this evening to print an HMCS Snowberry conversion article I found in the same issue, is to use Windows 'Snipping Tool' to copy the pages only.
Problem with Print Screen is that you also get all the system / app junk around what you really want! 🤔
Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW on my keyboard the command is [Strg,Druck/S-Abruf] 😉😁

Peejay
(Petty Officer)

6th Nov 2018 01:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47786

Since it worked for Snowberry, it should be fine, then. Thanks for your persistence!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 01:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47787

OK PJ, I'm 'on the job'. Like a dog with a bone, Woof woof!
Resultant quality is not as good as in the Reader but better 'n nutt'n!
More soon😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 01:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47788

OK, here we go!
Bon chance mon ami! 👍
Also PM'ed you, cheers, Doug

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 01:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47790

G'night all! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 😎

Peejay
(Petty Officer)

6th Nov 2018 02:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47791

WOW! Those came out beautifully. I thought I might have an issue with reading the text, but when I zoomed it up, it is very readable. So now I can get the full sized plan from Sarik Hobbies, who is having a 10% off sale this November, and I will be good to go! Thank you so much!

PeeJay

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 03:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47795

Great! Very glad it worked out👍 Where there's a will ....!
Don't forget to share your build with us in a Blog 😊
All the best, Doug 😎
PS If you like the result please Like the post! 😁

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
6th Nov 2018 08:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47808

Doug re Snowberry build and conversion etc. here is a load of stuff to look at that might help. More if you Google HMCS Snowberry. I read a couple of the R/C conversion ones and a build blog awhile ago.👍 . Pretty comprehensive. You can have fun reading them all picking out what you find useful. Good luck Mon ami .
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HMCS+Snowberry+RC+conversi...

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 08:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47809

Earlier on I tried to reply to a post but it just would not go when I clicked post. I left it and it seems OK now. Trouble is I can't recall which post it was.😤😤👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Nov 2018 22:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47874

Many thanks for the Snowberry tip John 👍
It's now your fault the Supermarine rebuild is delayed at least six months 😁😁😁
Actually although I have looked at several relevant build articles (without conversions to other navies configurations) I have done a bit on the rebuild. The new bearings have arrived and I've just arranged the fitting in one end plate. 😉
More soon, Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Nov 2018 22:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47875

Re failed post John, might have been around the same time that I couldn't access the site at all 🤔 Overloaded I suspect! 😲
Cheers, Doug 🤓

Peejay
(Petty Officer)

9th Nov 2018 20:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47921

Just to update -- took advantage of the Sarik Hobbies November discount sale and ordered the full sized plan. That plus the article downloaded from this discussion should get me going!

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Nov 2018 21:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47928

Nice on PJ way to go. Doug! do you know of an app that will scan my files and put all pics in one place? I have loads scattered in various files but it's a pain trying to find them all when I want them.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Nov 2018 01:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47933

Mornin' John,
Have an idea, will try it out and get back to you.
Cheers, Doug

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Nov 2018 00:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48020

Ta Doug!👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Nov 2018 01:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48021

Mornin' John, Hows things 'Ol Mate'😉
Basically on a PC the 'Photos' App built into Windows 10 should do the job. Pic shows the opening window displaying the last photos I downloaded / Stored.
i haven't experimented much with it yet but it should find any photos / pics on any drive, stick or memory card on your PC.
If you are using a Smartphone I don't know, although most seem to have a 'Gallery' function built in! It will depend on which phone you have and which operating system it uses. Best thing to do there is look at the Apps already installed or in the Google or Microsoft App Stores.
More later when I've fiddled with the 'Photos' App a bit more.
Better shift to a new thread then as well, afore we're arrested for hijacking😲 (again😁)!

At the moment I'm putting the finishing touches to Colin's Taycol Supermarine. Just reassembled it with new bearings and ran some tests using my prototype converter board.
Runs fore and aft perfectly on a normal brushed ESC.😊
Will update the 'Supermarine Resurrection' blog shortly.
All the best, Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Nov 2018 02:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48026

I don't have a smartphone just one to phone and text and that hardly ever. I do have a camera but not used it yet Most pics are downloads or webcam jobs. Hence all the different files. Gulp! Yes change threads. Maybe Pics Files?👍