Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (12)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > steam water pump
steam water pump
(432 views)
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 24
4th Dec 2018 13:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48621

I'm searching for a mechanical steam water pump are there manufacturer or shops that make or show these item's .
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 11
6th Dec 2018 17:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48653

I would suggest you go on to eBay, and then type in Microcosm Steam engines in the search window,this will take you to a Chinese Company who make numerous steam engines, at very reasonable prices plus lubricators and mechanical water pumps for various engines. Let me know how you get on. I willpost youa photo of an engine with a pump fitted, one of Microcosm's engines, they do boilers as well.

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Dec 2018 17:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48654

Thanks Gary I have looked at their site and yes they have a pump I'm looking at I e-mailed them to find out if they do boiler water tank .
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

6th Dec 2018 18:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48656

sent you a photo of a mechanical boiler feed pump connected to an oscillating V4 engine. get on eBay and type in Microcosm steam engines. If you use a decent size boiler for your steam engine you should get 20 to 30 minutes run-time. Let me know how you get on. Regards.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Gary L Coupland
GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

6th Dec 2018 18:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48659

You don't need to buy a water tank, simply build one into your hull using plywood and fibre-glass, the favourite is the sharp end simply fit a wooden bulk-head and cover it in fibre-glass.

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Dec 2018 20:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48662

I like that idea thanks Gary

GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

7th Dec 2018 13:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48678

Hi Rick, I thought you might be interested in this, it looks a bit like a plumbers nightmare, but despite that, a beautiful engine a twin cylinder TVR / USA slide valve 1/2" bore, and incredibly efficient runs on only 30 PSI steam pressure. The boiler is 3 1/2" x 6" and will run for almost 30 minutes with no water pump, carrying water adds a lot more weight.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Dec 2018 13:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48679

Thanks Gary for the picture I only hope when I get the steam plant I understand enough to have a plumbers nightmare.
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

7th Dec 2018 14:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48680

Hi Rick, if you google TVR 1ABB steam engine, you will find a really neat and very good value for money steam engine. I'm afraid this is not cheap and around the £250 mark, mind it does have ball race bearings on the crankshaft. This comes as a kit of parts and you have to build it from scratch. when you have completed this task you will have a really good knowledge of exactly how a double acting slide valve engine works while putting this together, you can save up for a boiler to go with it, the instructions for building are very good almost idiot proof they must be as I have built several. Beautiful engine and powerful it will easily power a hull of one-meter length. Something to think about and Christmas is coming.

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Dec 2018 19:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48684

Thanks Gary I will look at the steam engine.
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

12th Dec 2018 22:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48794

Hi Rick, I am afraid it is me yet again, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Despite the odds, I have managed to upload my steam engine video on to YouTube and on here, check out videos on this website and you will find it, it's a bit on the long side at twenty-five minutes, but you have to admit it runs like a Swiss watch and is very efficient in not wasting any steam. Regards, Gary.

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

13th Dec 2018 05:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48808

Thanks Gary will look at it in the morning .
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Chief Petty Officer)

13th Dec 2018 08:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48810

Good Morning Rick, well it is here in the U/K. out of curiosity, I had a look at your profile as I imagined you were young and just starting off with steam, at least I got the second bit right and discovered you were of 1947 vintage, easy to figure out as I am from 1946. That was a bit of a shock to the system, anyway I thought I would share with you the fact the TVR steam engines are manufactured in the US of A, across the border by Graham Industries, almost on your door-step so to speak. Regards, Gary.

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

13th Dec 2018 11:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48815

Hi Gary yes 1946 Nov. but young at heart.
Rick