Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 8 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Emma C. Berry
Emma C. Berry
(382 views)
carpemoment
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 5
7th Feb 2019 21:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50221

I need some help. I've successfully refurbished my static display Emma C. Berry model and added remote control. I have the sails on a winch loop, I have the rudder on a servo, I even managed to add a motor, and an extended keel with weight. The one issue that I have not been able to resolve is maneuvering under sail. Primarily, I cannot get it to move through the irons when coming about. She responds and the sails will luft, she might even catch some wind but she never makes enough of a turn to change direction. I've already changed out the rudder for the larger size on the plans. I've also tried extending the depth of the rudder. Bottom line, she is mainly being driven by the current. In this situation, by current I mean whichever way the wind is blowing the small lake. It is a local park lake and doesn't really have any inherent current. My one suspicion is the keel I added. It is doing its job to keep her upright and providing some resistance but in the end, the underwater current is overpowering her response to the rudder and/or trimming the sails. See Photo. I had originally wanted to incorporate a more rounded profile on the ends of the weight and the shafts but I remember reading somewhere that it isn't that critical Sails are per the plans and made from the material that came with the kit (25+ years ago). I even added a couple of sailor figures but we still can't establish control. 😭

Attached Files - Click To View Large

steve-d
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 66
8th Feb 2019 10:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50232

In order to go about you need the boat to retain some momentum whilst the sails are not filled.
I think the bluntness of both the keel bulb and its fin are producing sufficient drag to loose way during the turn.

Steve

Nerys
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 38
8th Feb 2019 21:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50239

I know more about full size sailing vessels than I do models but Steve-D is quite correct in saying you need momentum in order to come about. The usual practice with a vessel with a long straight keel would be to let her pay off a little to get a bit more weigh on her, then sail her round slowly rather than putting the helm hard down. If she still got into irons, backing the foresails would help to bring her round. It wasn't unknown for a hard headed ship to let her pay right off, gybe her round, then come back on the wind on the other tack. I hope you won't have to resort to that.

When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
carpemoment
(Sub-Lieutenant)

9th Feb 2019 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50266

Thanx steve-d and nerys. You've confirmed my suspicion. Do you think that the width of the weight (bb container) is contributing? Would it be enough if I round off one end of the weight and bevel the lead edge of the vertical extension?

Nerys
(Lieutenant)

10th Feb 2019 02:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50277

Do you really need the bulb and fin? They are normally fitted to a shallow draft hull. A displacement hull like yours normally has ballast incorporated into the keel. If you think there is insufficient ballast at the moment, I'm sure you could find a way of attaching some extra, moulded onto the keel.

When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
DodgyGeezer
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 105
10th Feb 2019 08:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50278

I see that you have uploaded copies of the Sterling 'America' plan.

I run a website which provides copies of old model boat plans for free download, aimed at letting a new generation of modellers create past models so that they are not entirely forgotten.

1 - Would you be happy for me to load these copies (or better ones if you have them!) to this site?
2 - Do you have any further information - part templates or box are, for instance - that you could contribute?

You may see what we already have under the Sterling name here: http://oldboats.tk/Sterling1.html

carpemoment
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Feb 2019 20:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50305

These plans were most likely downloaded from this website. I'll email you what I have in the best resolution that I have.

I'll keep an eye out for photos of the original kit box, the kit, original plans but I don't recall ever taking any. The box itself made it through several moves but was apparently culled out when we downsized.

carpemoment
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Feb 2019 20:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50306

Nerys I original tried in-hull only but I could not get enough weight in a form that I could use with the RC related items I needed. Another build blog on this website showed theirs using the extension and the bulb so I changed tack.

steve-d
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 66
10th Feb 2019 22:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50309

The width of the keel bulb is not that relevant but you do need to make the front and back of both the bulb and the fin pointy.
The back is as important as the front because the water behind the bulb will form a vortex and produce drag. Everything you see on an aeroplane wing is equally true for you keel.

Steve

Nerys
(Lieutenant)

10th Feb 2019 23:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50312

I was thinking of external ballast, but if the bulb and fin has been used successfully then by all means use it. I would think that it would have to be as streamlined as possible in order to make the least impedance, but as I have said, I know more about full sized craft than I do models.