• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Forum
    Search
    Jump To:
    All Categories
    Hobby Chit Chat
    Non-Hobby Chat
    RC & Electrics
    Building Related
    For Sale/Wanted
    Website Related
    General Resources
    Page 1 of 203
    >>>
    Dropping anchor
    1/48 Diver class ARS at anchor using the Krick system.
    8 minutes ago by 🇺🇸 ToraDog ( Captain)
    Building Related
    5 Posts
    3 Likes
    Started
    1 hour ago
    by CTSMBC
    Latest
    8 minutes ago
    by ToraDog
    New RC Yacht
    Amidst all the sad news of the last few days, I had a very interesting call. A local yacht manufacturer wants to build a scale model of their yacht to use as demonstration. I am very excited about this and although the model will not be commercially available to order, I hope that this will give us a little bit of exposure in the future. At 1:15 scale she will be 800mm long. The model will be made of carbon fibre to make it as light as possible. The real yacht is 12m long with a beam of 6.5m.
    2 hours ago by 🇿🇦 CTSMBC ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Building Related
    1 Post
    1 Like
    Started
    2 hours ago
    by CTSMBC

No Replies Yet
    Smoke spaghetti
    JB, thanks for the info with videos. Len
    4 hours ago by 🇺🇸 Len1 ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    RC & Electrics
    14 Posts
    42 Likes
    Started
    4 days ago
    by jbkiwi
    Latest
    4 hours ago
    by Len1
    Wordle of the Day?
    Got it in 3
    6 hours ago by 🇿🇦 CTSMBC ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Website Related
    1209 Posts
    2596 Likes
    Started
    9 months ago
    by fireboat
    Latest
    6 hours ago
    by CTSMBC
    Question of the Day?
    Even the right answer is totally wrong.
    6 hours ago by 🇿🇦 CTSMBC ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Website Related
    2241 Posts
    5759 Likes
    Started
    1 year ago
    by fireboat
    Latest
    6 hours ago
    by CTSMBC
    Death of a member.
    Hello Colin, devastated to hear your news many friends have sympathised at your loss and may I add mine as well. It is bad as it gets but I expect you have some good memories to fall back on. My heart goes out to you. Roy
    7 hours ago by 🇬🇧 roycv ( Rear Admiral)
    Non-Hobby Chat
    46 Posts
    399 Likes
    Started
    3 days ago
    by Colin H
    Latest
    7 hours ago
    by roycv
    Fibreglass hulls
    Hello I have a good Inga hull sitting in my garage looking for a good home regards ChrisG
    13 hours ago by 🇬🇧 ChrisG ( Lieutenant Commander)
    For Sale/Wanted
    7 Posts
    14 Likes
    Started
    1 day ago
    by mturpin013
    Latest
    13 hours ago
    by ChrisG
    The sadest Easter
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can relocate to a new area. Good Luck Guys.
    20 hours ago by 🇦🇺 taffy ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    5 Posts
    19 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by CTSMBC
    Latest
    20 hours ago
    by taffy
    to the Admiral looking for a 40-42" fiberglass hull
    To Mturpin013; I am starting to work on a 42" that will handle the weight that you are looking for. Please contact me as to what type of hull. Mono, Cat, Deep Vee? I'm not certain if I can help but I'll try. Paul😎
    23 hours ago by 🇺🇸 paulkat1 ( Able Seaman)
    For Sale/Wanted
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    23 hours ago
    by paulkat1

No Replies Yet
    Aerokits Sea Rover
    From the picture of the Sea Scout motor installation it might be that the motor and prop shaft are not exactly in line. Make sure the propellor shaft is well lubricated and the bearings are not worn out. Run the boat in the bathtub and feel for vibration in the motor. I suspect the flexible rubber mounting may be causing some of the problems.
    24 hours ago by 🇬🇧 Razor1955 ( Able Seaman)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    7 Posts
    18 Likes
    Started
    2 days ago
    by CTSMBC
    Latest
    24 hours ago
    by Razor1955
    The games we play
    EdW I have no words Bwhahahaha Richard Cranium was the long distant cousin of Robert Soul, better known as R Soul. Life is tough if you are part of the 44 South Africans in the world. 😂😂
    1 day ago by 🇿🇦 CTSMBC ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    15 Posts
    57 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by CTSMBC
    Latest
    1 day ago
    by CTSMBC
    HMS Royal Marine
    Has anyone built Deans Marine’s HMS Royal Marine
    1 day ago by 🇬🇧 EdW ( Warrant Officer)
    Building Related
    1 Post
    0 Likes
    Started
    1 day ago
    by EdW

No Replies Yet
    Old Boat Sightings
    Nice pictures! That cruise IS on my "Bucket List". I'm sure we are all familiar with the acronym B.O.A.T - Break Out Another Thousand. The Averilla might have "potential", but I'm thinking if somebody attempted it the acronym would need to be changed to B.O.A.T.T. - Break Out Another Ten Thousand or maybe B.O.A.H.T (Hundred). It would be a beautiful boat if done right, though. Dave B
    1 day ago by 🇺🇸 DWBrinkman ( Lieutenant Commander)
    General Resources
    3 Posts
    12 Likes
    Started
    1 day ago
    by Ronald
    Latest
    1 day ago
    by DWBrinkman
    Operating Cranes
    Lew, as always you are an inspiration to all of us.👍 Len
    2 days ago by 🇺🇸 Len1 ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Website Related
    10 Posts
    43 Likes
    Started
    4 days ago
    by LewZ
    Latest
    2 days ago
    by Len1
    Coast Guard 47 MLB help
    Yes. Typically comes up from the drive but this is reduced by loads of marine grease. During operation, the other issue is water coming in from the rear hatch. Many ways to help ”reduce” but seems unstoppable. The only way to absolutely proof it is to seal it closed defeating the purpose of having it removable. The Midwest adds a raised lip on the deck around the inner hatch to help prevent water but both Midwest and proboat have the same issue. The proboat cuts the water more aggressively and in doing so, funnels water towards the rear deck. I noticed this during slow motion filming of the boat. Another area is the rudder shafts. All this being said, I’ve run pretty aggressively with my builds and tried many ways to slow the water getting in but even still, it’s not enough to sink it. You can tell when the water weights it down. It’s at that time I bring it in and give it a drain.
    2 days ago by 🇺🇸 Fodigo ( Leading Seaman)
    General Resources
    20 Posts
    60 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by bruced
    Latest
    2 days ago
    by Fodigo
    FORSE RECUPEREMO IL SAN JOSÉ.
    Could be bigger than the wreck of the Galleon “Atocha.” That came in at $400 Million! https://maritime-executive.com/editorials/the-world-s-most-valuable-shipwreck-the-nuestra-senora-de-atocha
    3 days ago by 🇺🇸 jumpugly ( Lieutenant Commander)
    General Resources
    4 Posts
    13 Likes
    Started
    4 days ago
    by AlessandroSPQR
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by jumpugly
    Mini Steam/Smoke Generator from Denes Design
    And this is the article from the Modelboats Magazine
    3 days ago by 🇬🇧 Dainesh ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    RC & Electrics
    8 Posts
    22 Likes
    Started
    7 months ago
    by Dainesh
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by Dainesh
    Led bulb / lights
    Good morning to all the naval modelers of this forum. One of the recurring questions is this: is the resistor in series with the LED necessary or not? The other is this: is it better to connect the LEDs in series or in parallel? I forgot to complete the answer. I link to the fourth message of this topic and the following ones. EXPLANATION OF THE VIDEOS In the videos you can see a parallel circuit powered by a 9 volt battery. As you can see there is a resistor in series with each LED. In this way there will be the right voltage on the LED to turn it on. A variable resistor has also been added to the third LED to show that too high a resistance will cause too little current to flow and the LED will be too dim (not very bright) or will not light up. I avoided showing how too low a resistance burns the LED. WHEN TO APPLY THE RESISTANCE AND WHAT VALUE Powering a LED of this type with 9 volts means burning it. If I don't want to put a resistor I have to power it with the correct voltage which, in this case, is 2 volts. Two volts corresponds to the voltage drop that the LED causes in the circuit. When powering a circuit with a LED and a resistor with a 9 volt battery, I have to understand which resistor to put so that the right current passes through the circuit and so that there is a voltage of 2 volts at the ends of the LED. So if the voltage is 9 volts and there must be 2 volts on the LED, it is logical that I must have 7 volts at the ends of the resistor. By applying Ohm's law I find the value of the resistance, knowing what the operating current is (for example 18 mA). R = (Vcc-Vled)/I = (9-2)/0.018 = 7/0.018 = 389 Ohms. By measuring the voltage at the ends of the LED with a voltmeter we will in fact find a value of around 2 volts and at the ends of the resistor around 7 volts, with a logically closed circuit (look at the seventh attached image). With lower voltage batteries we will have to use resistors with lower ohmic values until we reach the point where no resistance is needed. In this case, powering at 2 volts we will not need any resistance. With higher voltage batteries we will have to use resistors with higher ohmic values. Attention, when increasing the voltage, the electrical power involved must be taken into consideration, as common 250 mW (like the ones in the photo) resistors may no longer be suitable. If we power an LED with a 6 volt battery, the resistor must be 222 Ohm. But if we put three LEDs in series we won't need any resistors, because the sum of the voltage drops (2 + 2 + 2) of each LED corresponds precisely to the 6 volts of power (see the fourth attached image). With a 6 volt battery and only two LEDs in series we will need a 111 Ohm resistor. BETTER SERIES OR PARALLEL? None is better than the other, there are pros and cons to evaluate. The advantage of parallel connection is that if one LED breaks, the others will continue to work normally. Instead, in series connection, if one LED breaks, all the others will turn off. The advantage of series connection is that less current flows (less battery consumption and less power absorbed) compared to parallel. In parallel connection, for each LED added to the circuit, the current of that branch will be added to the total current of the circuit. For example, ten LEDs in series will absorb 18 mA while ten LEDs in parallel will absorb 180 mA. Attention, so far we have talked about signaling LEDs for electronics. The situation changes for high-brightness LEDs. Look at the eighth photo, these LEDs have a voltage drop of 3 volts (therefore 3 volts of direct power supply) and an operating current of 300 mA. Look at the ninth photo, these LEDs have a voltage drop of 3 volts (therefore 3 volts of direct power supply) and an operating current of 700 mA. In this case ten LEDs of this type (700 mA) in parallel will absorb 7 Amperes. Furthermore, even with a single high brightness LED (3 volt; 300 mA) powered by a 9 volt battery, the power involved will be too high for the small resistors shown in the photo. Don't use these resistors because you will definitely burn them. Either use resistors with adequate powers (but you will waste a lot of energy dispersed in heat, due to the Joule effect) or you will have to power the LEDs without a resistor and therefore with exact power supplies (voltage regulators where or 3 volt battery packs). I hope this clears up any doubts but any questions will not be unwelcome. I also include the YouTube link for those who are unable to open the video file directly. https://studio.youtube.com/video/xLmrpiLY2hM/edit
    3 days ago by 🇮🇹 AlessandroSPQR ( Captain)
    RC & Electrics
    18 Posts
    53 Likes
    Started
    2 months ago
    by PhilH
    Latest
    3 days ago
    by AlessandroSPQR
    New members
    I see we have a new member from Brazil😀 Willarcross aka Wilson. Bem-vindo a bordo do navio Camarada👍 For those members who are a bit rusty with the Portuguese language (Brazilian or Portugal variant) here is a translation of his 'About me' on his profile😉 "Hello, this is Wilson. I am a lathe operator in the navy in which I have my first passion. I'm a composer, a popular singer, a writer, and I'm very fond of other types of art." Olá Wilson, Welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing the boats you have built / are working on and the Brazilian perspective on Model Boats. I spent a lot of time in Brazil working with the navy from the late 80s through to 2008. Mostly at the Arsenal in Rio (Ilha das Cobras) MODFRAG, Inhauma Corvettes and Nael Minas Gerais carrier refit projects. Plus a few visits to the Navy Research Centre in São Paulo and the MOD in Brasilia. Great times and great people😊 Felicidades, Doug😎
    4 days ago by 🇩🇪 RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    General Resources
    10 Posts
    41 Likes
    Started
    2 years ago
    by Nerys
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Styrene glues???? on Styrene boats
    I used a piece of pvc trunking (for computer cables). I can lift whatever the servo can handle.
    4 days ago by 🇿🇦 CTSMBC ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Building Related
    19 Posts
    73 Likes
    Started
    1 month ago
    by bruce1946
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by CTSMBC
    ANATOMY OF THE ESC FOR BRUSHED MOTORS. HOW THEY ARE MADE AND HOW THEY WORK IN THE DETAIL OF THEIR EL
    Hello everyone, ship modelers. Talking about basic electronics topics, applicable to RC naval models, this topic came to mind. I wanted to renew the invitation to post simple (or the simplest possible) ESC circuits for brushed motors (without Bec). So far there has only been the (very precious) contribution of John and RoyCV, whom I thank immensely. I left the question pending, waiting for simpler circuits. Ultimately if nothing else comes, I will take advantage of John's information and Roy's generosity. For my part, I have only found solutions with Arduino, but that's not what I'm looking for. Theoretical explanations of general operation, if not a complete circuit, will also be appreciated.
    4 days ago by 🇮🇹 AlessandroSPQR ( Captain)
    RC & Electrics
    28 Posts
    30 Likes
    Started
    4 months ago
    by AlessandroSPQR
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by AlessandroSPQR
    EASY AND CHEAP FLASHING LED CIRCUITS
    Except when playing blind man's buff, it's always a good idea to keep your eyes wide open, hahahaha.
    4 days ago by 🇮🇹 AlessandroSPQR ( Captain)
    RC & Electrics
    13 Posts
    34 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by AlessandroSPQR
    Latest
    4 days ago
    by AlessandroSPQR
    Unique Clubhouse
    I wonder if that was the ancestor of the Ship Society of South Africa with its address in the Foreshore Cape Town. Cannot tell, because their "website" takes me to a scambook page.😂
    5 days ago by 🇿🇦 CTSMBC ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    2 Posts
    11 Likes
    Started
    5 days ago
    by EdW
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by CTSMBC
    Monitor drawings
    AR-VN3 M92-2, 60' MONITOR Mk1, 1968, 3/4"=1' $26.00 Reckon this is probably what you are looking for ED😉 From- "VIETNAM RIVERINE BOATS AR-VN1 PCF 94, 50' PCF, Mk1 (Swift Boat) 3/4"=1' scale $24.00 AR-VN2 82' POINT CLASS WPB, 1/2"=1' sacle $24.00 AR-VN3 M92-2, 60' MONITOR Mk1, 1968, 3/4"=1' $26.00 AR-VN4 PBR Mk2, 32' RIVER PATROL BOAT, 1967, 1"=1' scale $25.00 AR-VN5 PBR Mk1, 31' RIVER PATROL BOAT, 1966, 1"=1' scale $25.00" Cheers, Doug😎 https://floatingdrydock.com/ptboat.htm
    5 days ago by 🇩🇪 RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    General Resources
    5 Posts
    10 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by EdW
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by RNinMunich
    Sea rover cabin cruiser
    Schmango, Love the picture's of your Sea Rover up on the plane. She looks wicked. Shame about she leaks a bit though. I have just been and mixed up some good old Cascamite and dribbled that along the keel of the boat I am building. But there are plenty of other epoxy resins out her that you can run down the keel to stop the leaks. But she sure looks great oup on the plane.
    5 days ago by 🇬🇧 BOATSHED ( Lieutenant)
    Building Related
    42 Posts
    166 Likes
    Started
    1 month ago
    by Schmango
    Latest
    5 days ago
    by BOATSHED
    help with history on this model anchor recovery vessel
    touble is there is a crusing boat same name and a cable laying boat and some imposters tut tut to whoever registered that
    6 days ago by 🇬🇧 Stephen T ( Lieutenant Commander)
    Non-Hobby Chat
    3 Posts
    8 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by Stephen T
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by Stephen T
    Coastal Steamers
    One of our club members has a Buffalo. I don't know if it is the same as your because you don't have photos yet. This is a Dumas model. Lew Florida 🙄🌩️, USA https://www.dumasproducts.com/?product=city-of-buffalo-lake-steamer-1270
    6 days ago by 🇺🇸 LewZ ( Captain)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    2 Posts
    9 Likes
    Started
    6 days ago
    by CTSMBC
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by LewZ
    Propeller Rotation (common propellers)
    Lew I did not mean to imply that you needed an explanation about screws and I know that you are very knowable about propellers. it was an error on my part in the way I started my reply as I should not put your name on it. It was meant to help others. Len
    6 days ago by 🇺🇸 Len1 ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    Hobby Chit Chat
    9 Posts
    17 Likes
    Started
    9 days ago
    by LewZ
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by Len1
    Kits for Fairey Marine Models.
    My Dad (and Uncle) used to take both my late Uncles aft cabin Huntsman 31 and its replacement Swordsman 33 back to Fairey from Pembrokeshire, West Wales for servicing etc, and he has said many times, that although both were extremely good, the Huntsman 31, is a better sea boat in a chop/swell than the Swordsman, smoother and drier too, due to the angle of the 'V' of the Huntsman cutting into the swell, rather than pounding./slamming. Will
    6 days ago by 🇬🇧 Madwelshman ( Midshipman)
    Building Related
    5 Posts
    28 Likes
    Started
    11 days ago
    by ChrisF
    Latest
    6 days ago
    by Madwelshman
    RaIngaIV
    She looks great in the video, the sails appear quite sensitive in that light breeze.
    7 days ago by 🇬🇧 Frankiesays1953 ( Leading Seaman)
    Building Related
    10 Posts
    56 Likes
    Started
    8 days ago
    by Rogal118
    Latest
    7 days ago
    by Frankiesays1953
    Page 1 of 203
    >>>

About This Website