Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (25)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Fireboat and Sunderland together again
Fireboat and Sunderland together again
(3564 views)
dbninja
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 92
14th Mar 2013 20:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9471

an historic moment captured In minature..

my restored 1/16 scale fireboat on the water with the ultimate fireboat accessory...

my 1/16 scale flying model of the Shorts Sunderland flying boat!

must be the first time In 60 years the two were seen together on the water

86" scratchbuilt electric Sunderland was test flown 10th March 2013 In really awfull weather conditions 10mph wind with 15mph sheer crosswind around 70 degrees to head wind. It was raining quite heavily as you can hear the rain splashing against the side of the camera, model Is very very light only weighs 6Lbs without flight batteries and got tossed around like an empty carrier bag
so no apologies for the fight against the elements during the test flight.

but It flew In way less than Ideal conditions

for video highlight the link below and open link
http://youtu.be/VjmYjRRc_mg

David

Attached Files - Click To View Large

teeps
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
20th Mar 2013 10:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9555

Huge respect, David. I hadn't read your post In detail, and wasn't expecting this to be a flying Sunderland... so when It took off, I actually gasped.
This Is a fantastic feat, and In the prevailing conditions you describe - bl**dy well done!
Tim.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
20th Mar 2013 14:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9559

Very Impressive David. As an ex model flyer I admire your skills In flying In those conditions with all the surrounding trees. Both models are a credit to you. Subsequent flight posted on Youtube looks much more placid.
Very well done 😀

Live long and prosper

Dave
dbninja
(Captain)

20th Mar 2013 22:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9564

thanks All

do a search on vimeo for Sunderland and you will find an excellent video by vimeo user AK68 of the next outing and flight of the Sunderland In much better weather conditions... I just cant work out how to post the link on here..?

the water level camera Intro Is excellent.. then I throw the Sunderland around a bit as I get to explore Its flight envelope... not very scale but great fun!

then after a couple of water landings (including the odd bounce) I slow things down for some nice slow passes... you can hear a vibration from one of the motors caused by an out of balance prop and a loose motor bulkhead, and one of the dummy exhausts ejects Itself from the airframe
so all the usuall prototype gremlins for a scratch built model

David

dbninja
(Captain)

20th Mar 2013 22:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9565

nice flying shot of the Sunderland

d

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2305
6th Jan 2018 22:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37200

Found this a bit late but-
Brilliant 👍👍👍 I'm jealous as hell. Very well done indeed!
Cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 364
16th Jan 2018 23:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37473

wow you must have been bored Doug resurrecting that! It was taken in the north west of England, Carr Mill lake. David built the Sundy from scratch, he doesn't use it much now, it was always tempremental getting the 4 motors to have equal thrust. That was the last time he used the fireboat, he is juts into planes now. I was surprised how iconic that picture was, and considering this forum is the birthplace of the fireboat website there wasn't many comments. Here is the sundy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TEVdHSuqvo&index=17&list=UU...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Jan 2018 23:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37474

Hi Paul, not bored - curious!
Stumbled over it while looking for something else.
Brilliant video, thanks for the link. 👍
Was it you who built the superb Catalina I've seen here???
Cheers Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jan 2018 19:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37503

which catalina is that Doug? I have one, but its a foamie Dynam, not scratch built

Paul

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jan 2018 23:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37507

Hi Paul, just back from bowling training, averaged 207 was happy with that 😊 I don't know about scratch build or not but here on the site is a wonderful video of a flying Cat model. Title was something like 'Not quite a boat ...' I have the Airfix 1:72 kit of this plane and was considering trying to measure it and scale it up to make plans for a working model!!!
Cheers Doug 😎

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jan 2018 23:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37510

have you a link Doug, I cant find it, It might be mine! ha ha then I can give some info to you. My Avatar is the Canadair that featured in Expendables 2 Stallone movie, I like flying boats, !

cheers
Paul

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jan 2018 23:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37511

Hi Paul, It WAS you 😉

https://model-boats.com/forum/hobby-chit-chat/28936?goto=289...

Saw your post and vid on 15th May 2017, my gast was flabbered!!
Would still love to know where you got the kit or plan and what the motor / batt setup is. Cheers Doug 😎
PS I like flying boats too! Spent some time a few years ago looking round the old flying boat harbours on Malta 👍😉
PPS loved the CCR soundtrack as well, right up my alley 👍👍

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Jan 2018 00:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37513

yes its me!

Dynam Catalina with 2200mah 3 cell lipo, gets about 8 to 10 mins flight time, here with the tide out and me trying my best to land on a puddle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxefbO2ucow&t=1s

available in a lot of rc model (plane) shops, and more so online, motors esc etc all preinstalled, you just need to add rx and batt and fly (after some essential easy mods!)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1455058-Dynam...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Jan 2018 00:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37517

Great, thanks for the info Paul. Brillo👍
BTW re landing on puddles: how about a threshold marker and maybe chucking out an anchor on touchdown? 😉
Following your original vid link (from 15th May) on YouTube are two brilliant vids of the original in action with many close ups both inside and out in flight.
Cheers Doug 😎
This is now on my MUST HAVE list 😉

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Jan 2018 01:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37520

Oh Jeez! What have you started?😉
Just found a Dynam Cat version 2 in USAF livery in a German model shop and ordered one!!!!!!! What are the essential mods you mention? Mods to the elevator or aileron horns ? Saw a YouTube on this!!
How do you fancy a trip to Munich to teach me how to fly it????😉
Long time since I flew anything (except a Victor tanker simulator at RAF Marham!!)
It's future operating base will be the Ostpark lake in Munich, pics attached. Complete with Biergarten 😉 Thanks again for the info Paul, cheers Doug 😎

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Jan 2018 09:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37535

ha ha! well done!

ok, read that rcgroups link, its invaluable. Dynam (parent company is detrium) they make real nice airframes, but they are somewhat budget when it comes to quality control, but a little work, and they become nice models. Maybe we should start a new thread? I will👍