Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 7 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Aero kits sea commander
Aero kits sea commander
(2410 views)
laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 14
8th Dec 2015 19:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20057

Hello, I'm new to the site and am currently about to start rebuilding a Sea commander. I was planning to run it on a Johnson 600 motor on 7.2volts. I'm just asking if this would be a suitable set up for this boat? Also I'm using a 25mm 3 blade prob. Any help would be great.

AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 389
8th Dec 2015 21:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20062

HI Laurence, have a look at my thread in the Electrical related section, under Sea commander, I was asking more or less the same question.

Hope this will help you.

Alan

Oh, and welcome to the site

laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

8th Dec 2015 21:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20063

Thanks Alan, I've bought a few old boats over the past year but in Shetland there is no model boat clubs and I'm fairly new to RC. I'm very interested in this hobby as we have loads of lochs that can be sailed in.

Laurence

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
9th Dec 2015 09:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20064

HI Laurence
As well as looking at Alan's thread it would help if you could post a few pics of you Sea Commander. Is this model recently acquired or one you built in the past?
There is plenty of help and advice on the site but it really helps if we know a bit about you and the model so we can give relevant advice.
The set up you propose appears quite suitable and should give a scale performance.
I have restored several Aerokit original models and all have given me great satisfaction and always attract attention wherever I sail.

You may be in a remote part of the UK but water in your case is in abundance whilst suitable waters in most of the UK are not easily found. Perhaps your interest will inspire others and you can attract a few fellow model sailors.

If you look at the Clubs section on this site you can visit their Web sites and see many examples of Sea Commanders, my own Club Crewe have several as well as many sailing yachts, schooners and fishing boats.

Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

9th Dec 2015 10:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20065

HI Dave thanks for your response, I'll put some pictures up of the boat soon. I bought the sea commander from eBay last week, it was a bargain at £12.50! I also have have a Sea Queenthat I'm in the process of building. I'm hoping once they're out in the water people might get interested. I also have 2 marble head yachts too.

laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

9th Dec 2015 10:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20066

The Sea Commander

Attached Files - Click To View Large

laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

9th Dec 2015 11:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20067

Another picture, not sure how to put a couple up at a time, sorry.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
9th Dec 2015 16:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20071

Lovely original Aerokits Sea Commander, and in good condition externally.
You appear to be quite a seasoned modeller judging by the background to the pics so should have few problems in restoration.
I restored a Sea Queen and the build is pretty similar to the Sea Commander so you will be familiar with the internals.
Many early specimens were used with IC engines and the resultant fuel spillages in the hull can result in some delamination of the ply skins. It will take some time to remove all the stains and damaged bits but time spent now will save you much grief later. If an IC has been used the prop shaft, case and bearings are likely to be well worn and will benefit from replacement. If you have access to a lathe you can replace the bearings yourself if the shaft is not twisted.
Check the hull for any soft spots and remove and replace any damaged ply. Also check the glue joints, preferably having first removed all the old paint down to the original skins.
I covered my hull in fibreglass cloth on the outside and then used body filler to produce a smooth hull for final paint. Takes time but looks good and is waterproof.
You can keep adding pics to the upload file box and when finished click the Submit button at the bottom of your post.
Some pics of my Sea Queen for your info
Good restoring
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

9th Dec 2015 17:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20074

Thanks Dave, yes I've been building models for years. My grandfather was a real boat builder and he built a few models boats which I'm lucky to have kept after he died. There are a few issues with Sea Commander tho, firstly the top for the main cabin seems to have been skinned with what looks like plasticard so I will replace this. I will strip all the paint off and repair a couple of things on the inside of the hull too. I've luckily found another original Sea Queen in England today so have bought it, although it's in need of restoration. Should be here next week.

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 364
9th Dec 2015 19:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20079

The Johnson 600 is a very popular motor, its what comes as standard with a club 500. Having club 500 experience, on same voltage, my personal recommendation is the Sea Queen is a heavy old girl compared to the much smaller and plastic light Club 500. I think it will be underpowered., that Hull needs a turn of speed to get up on the plane. they go very well then, its not a slow boat, but then its really personal and depends what you want.

You may also experience overheating, as the motor will be working hard. If you want to stay with a brushed motor then I would use a 600, something like a graupner 600BB Turbo. I did a lot of experimenting some years back when rebuilding my 3 foot aerokits fireboat, and the 600 came out well as direct drive or with a gearbox. Up the voltage to the max in the range will give more speed.

Paul

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 364
9th Dec 2015 19:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20080

ps.....

3 blade, assuming its a standard type of blade at 25mm is probably too small, really bringing in the bad news here! sorry!

I seem to recall my smaller fireboat ended up with something like a 45mm? but could be bit out, that boat hasn't seen the light of day in a long time! 😀

laurence1
(Chief Petty Officer)

9th Dec 2015 20:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20081

Thanks very much Paul, I was planning to use the Johnson 600 in my Sea Commander. I've built a few boats but not really ever used them in the water so not up to speed with rc stuff. I was planning on using a bigger motor for both my Sea queens, this is very helpfull information for me tho as I don't know anyone really that is in to this hobby.

Laurence