Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 4 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (11)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Solent lifeboat
Solent lifeboat
(1039 views)
Vickers1979
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 59
28th Apr 2016 21:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21781

HI all I'm in the process of trying to build a silent class life boat and having problems with the building the hull is there any one on here that may have some pictures of there's that they have built or still building any help would greatful, thanks

L s Vickery
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
1st Jun 2016 14:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22314

Hi Lee
I have a model of the Solent. It was built from the Aerokits kit. I have an extensive collection of pics which should help. Far too many to post hers so I am sending you a private message with a link to my Dropbox files. This will allow you to view on line and download what you require to your own PC etc.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Vickers1979
(Lieutenant)

1st Jul 2016 17:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22723

Hi Dave m and thanks again for the picture and the files been very helpful, one question on the plans it says cover the wood in polyurethane. when you made yours did you cover it in polyurethane? Was it varnish or resin? Not sure what to use. Regards Lee

L s Vickery
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Jul 2016 19:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22724

Hi Lee
The original kit was produced in the 1960s when supplies were very sparse and the polyurethane was considered a good product to waterproof the hull and give a good finish.
Wood is from a living tree and continues to dry out over many years. I built a Billing Mercantic plank on frame and used Cascamite glue which produced a fine and waterproof hull. Some 30yrs later I found that the wood had split inside the glue line.
I now cover all my hulls with fine glass cloth and layup resin. I also apply glass matting and layup resin to the inside of the hull. In the case of my mahogany planked schooner hull I left the outside covering but the inside is glass mat.
It is sometime since I completed the hull on the Solent but I do know the wood is covered. I have tried different products over the years so I can't be sure what I used with the resin. The hull is 100% waterproof.
My advice would be to use resin.
Dave 😀

Live long and prosper

Dave
Vickers1979
(Lieutenant)

1st Jul 2016 21:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22726

Hi Dave when you say resin I take it you mean just normal fiber glass resin.? Thanks again Dave m%uD83D%uDE00

L s Vickery
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jul 2016 09:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22728

Hi Lee
No you need layup resin. Its thinner than the car body repair resin and uses a different catalyst. I buy mine from a local car repair supplier, costs about £20 foe a litre which will be more than enough. If you can't findn any on Google rearch for car body repairers and ask them where they buy their layup resin.
dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Kipper
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 13
5th Jul 2016 11:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22768

Is this the right stuff?
http://www.sheffieldfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/shop/4572905647...

I used a polyester resin on the inside of my Billings Norkap from these people, it was good stuff & the service was good but they are a bit more expensive.

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 497
5th Jul 2016 16:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22776

Hi Kipper, Give them a ring and they will give you 'chapter and verse' including glass cloth etc, they sell all you need

Regards

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jul 2016 20:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22779

Hi Kipper
This is an Epoxy resin. Will be OK but the Polyester resin they sell is cheaper and, in my opinion, easier to use. Postage costs can be high so if you can find a local supplier in your area this will save the postage. I originally used TOMPS and found them reasonable. Their website has some excellent videos showing you how to use the products.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave