Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Smoke Generator
Smoke Generator
(967 views)
martinsperring070558
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 15
22nd Aug 2016 11:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23293

As for my next build I am looking at HMS Devonshire, the first Royal Navy Guided Missile Destroyer. My last Build HMS Blake (See Post) has rotating Radar that was my limit. I would like to push the boat as to say and add some smoke from both funnels. I have seen some smoke generators on offer and was wondering about stability as the water evaporates up the funnel.

I will be looking to rotate the two main Aerial on the ship and was wondering about moving turrets - Or would that be step to far this will be my four build.http://model-boats.com/sys_files/graphics/smileys/S09.gif

cenbeth
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 166
22nd Aug 2016 14:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23300

Hi
I thought that smoke generators worked by dripping glycol onto a heating element. If I'm right you shouldn't get water in the funnel.
Good luck
Edward

Trillium
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 65
22nd Aug 2016 14:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23301

The Steam Master Unit uses water which is vaporised by an ultrasonic nebuliser. It looks very effective and draws a reasonably low current. For both of my models, I built my own tank from styrene to suit the size and shape of my model. It comes supplied with 20mm dia discharge piping. One of my models had a 13mm dia funnel discharge. This cuts down on the flow (but still looks effective) but also requires a conical reducer from 20 to 13mm to make it work.
Another model has the Harbor Models oil-filled smoke unit. It has a 1/2" discharge, a small tank, and draws 3A.
I have not come across a unit which uses glycol, but would be interested to learn about one.
Roy

martinsperring070558
(Chief Petty Officer)

22nd Aug 2016 15:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23302

Many thanks for both replies, I was looking at the water version - I have been told the Glycol version leaves deposits on the superstructure. The real question was stability, if you have a full take of water - Possible irrelevant as the tank is small would it affect the stability of the ship?

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 403
22nd Aug 2016 15:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23303

I do not know if it is glycol but these use a "distillate"

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/model_electroni...

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
martinsperring070558
(Chief Petty Officer)

22nd Aug 2016 15:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23304

I was looking on ebay (Model Boat Smoke Effect Unit V1 12v - Uses Water (No Oil / Smoke Fluid)

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Aug 2016 16:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23305

looking around I found this

https://www.modelboatsmoke.com/

The unit I checked on uses 200ml of water

that will weigh app 200gms or just over 7 oz.

Looking at the size of the unit provided your stable with the unit full using the water will only lower the CofG so making your model more stable.

Trillium
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 65
22nd Aug 2016 18:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23307

I have seen reports that the units using oil (or "distillate") leaves deposits, although I have not experienced that problem. They also smell. Glycol is used in the fog units you see in theatrical shows, so I don't think they will leave a deposit.
I have not experienced a stability problem. The SMU unit will hold about 350ml of water, but can only use about half of it (the top half :-). So the weight reduces but the centre of gravity also lowers.

Derek
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 146
22nd Aug 2016 20:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23313

I use the"yellow" one from eBay. "Model smoke effect.com. It's in my large Caldercraft "Imara" operated from transmitter via micro switch and servo.
Bit of mesh over the tunnel to dissipate the smoke. Says to use cold water.

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Aug 2016 20:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23315

Trillium only using the top half is down right lazy you should arrange to use the bottom half first on alternate voyages so as to even out the wear!!!!!! ~grins~

Derek
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 146
23rd Aug 2016 05:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23319

This is the smoke unit in Imara. Standard toilet type overflow pipe. Unfortunately to get to the funnel it requires a long length which may cause some "smoke" to condense on warm days. But cold days its quite effective. "Model smoke effect.com. The case for the unit is 3D printed apparently (useless information I know) 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

martinsperring070558
(Chief Petty Officer)

23rd Aug 2016 09:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23320

Okay, stability issue resolved I presume I could have one unit to service the two funnels?

ronrees
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 3
18th Sep 2016 22:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23565

Hi All,

Note your comments on the Vapourising Steam generators. I have fitted the one by Colin Graham as advertised in most Model Boats issues recently. It can be clearly seen in my Streamlinia articles (Sept and Oct issues Model Boats) and is a fantastic product, works instantly and reliably. Only 200ml of cold tap water so there is no trace of oily fall-out on your model.
The 3D printed casing, with its sloping top, I had a small input with this design and it does make a difference, channeling a good amount of 'steam' up wards also being a one-piece unit there is no risk of seams or joints coming apart, because there aren't any!, a real bargain at about£50 all up. It also features in a forthcoming model tug build article (Rhonnda..in Model Boats early in 2017, I hope)

Cheers..........Ron Rees.