Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (35)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > water proofing
water proofing
(1059 views)
jaffy012
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 13
15th Jan 2017 00:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25382

Hi can anyone help me im building nordkap trawler, can anyone tell me how to waterproof inside as well as out side, and what sort of water proof wood filler, some one told me dope to do inside is correct, any help would be appreciated, colin😭

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
15th Jan 2017 11:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25389

Hi Colin
The Billing plank on frame models are from an earlier era and were very popular in their day. My first model was their Mercantic. I used Cascamite glue which worked fine for about 20 years but then the wood cracked along the glue lines😡.
The solution depends on the hull finish you seek to acquire.
If you want a bare wood finish then you need to fit and glue the planks very carefully so that the joins look correct. You then need to seal the inside with a thin coat of resin run all over the inside right up to the bulwark. For best results you can use tissue, glass fibre or cloth cut to fit between the formers. Just make sure you stipple the resin into the cloth and try to avoid any bubbles.
If your hull will be painted then, after final preparation, you can cover in a similar way as described above. You then rub down and fill any imperfections with Body filler. I usually also do the inside also to protect the internal wood from any water ingress.
When I built the Olympic and Titanic with my friend Bill we used this method. I have attached a few pics showing the stages.
We built from plans with ply frmes and 4mm balsa sheet. The outside is covered with glass cloth and epoxy resin whilst the inside is covered with Fiberglass cloth and poly layup resin.
We took many pics and I have them on my Dropbox account. If you send me a private message with your email address I will share. Its free to join and you can view on line and download as many as you want.
Have fun
Dave

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
rmwall107
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 22
15th Jan 2017 18:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25402

i am going to try very thin cascamite. i read on a website this was a good method. I am no expert and will let you know the results when i try it.

jaffy012
(Chief Petty Officer)

15th Jan 2017 21:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25405

thanks every one that replied to me, dave how do i send you a pm as i dont know how to, colin😎

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 441
15th Jan 2017 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25407

Hi mate, look at Daves avatar, below the picture there are 2 blue boxes, 1 says profile and the lower one says PM, click on that and send your message, when Dave replies it will appeare at the top of the page in the message box, also in you email in box

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
jaffy012
(Chief Petty Officer)

15th Jan 2017 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25410

thanks mark im new to this lol, colin

EAGLE
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 43
15th Jan 2017 23:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25411

Hi Colin
I'm happy to see there's someone else how uses cascamite l thought l was the only one, everyone else seem to use PVA's. It is a great glue but not on wood that has been soaked in oil. Best of look with the restoration.
Regards Dave

jaffy012
(Chief Petty Officer)

15th Jan 2017 23:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25412

hi dave can you recomend wood filler please mate

rmwall107
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 22
16th Jan 2017 12:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25416

hi i use Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler fills any depth dry in half an hour sands lovely.fills holes.

jaffy012
(Chief Petty Officer)

16th Jan 2017 23:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25432

hi thanks for recommending ronseal, only problem is we cant get it here in oz, but that didn't stop me getting it i bought it on ebay, only problem is the post cost more tan the product, but hey ho

Peter47
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 49
19th Jan 2017 14:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25501

All of the above suggestion should work fine, but a good idea to remove as much H2O as possible after every sail, and leave hatches etc open at least over night, to allow for any remaining dampness to dissipate that may have by-passed the waterproof coating, Have a 1/24th scale Vosper Motor Torpedo boat, constructed using balsa with tissue cover, which is some 30-40 years old, hull still sound using the above mantra. 😎

jaffy012
(Chief Petty Officer)

19th Jan 2017 23:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25514

thanks peter