Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
May 2017: 5 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 8 people
September 2016: 2 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Torpedo props
Torpedo props
(328 views)
cormorant
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 140
14th Feb 2017 08:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26039

I have managed to acquire two props (thanks Dave M), but I require two more for the other two torpedos.
The suggested use of a 3D printer is also a non starter and trawling the internet has also drawn a blank.
Any ideas where else I might try?

Thank you
Steve

Attached Files - Click To View Large

cenbeth
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 161
14th Feb 2017 12:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26041

Hi, Are these for working torpedo S or static? I would guess static. Presumably the two you already have are OK. Could you make a mould and cast new ones up?
Edward

cormorant
(Captain)

14th Feb 2017 12:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26042

Hi Edward. Yes, they are static and the two I already have are ok.
I have never done any moulding or casting before. Maybe I can give it a try. Any pointers?
Steve

cenbeth
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 161
14th Feb 2017 13:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26043

I have never cast resin but am currently casting lead. You need to ensure that you can extract the final product and that you can get the air out of the mould while you are casting. I suggest you look at something like Google or uTube. Alternatively someone on this site may be able to advice you. Whatever you do, please let me know how you get on!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1104
14th Feb 2017 19:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26045

Hi Steve
It would be possible to make a silicon mould and cast with Fast Cast resin. Quite a lot of work for just two parts, and making the mould to allow the air to escape would not be easy.
You could make the parts from some plastic rod fettled to shape with the blades from Litho plate cut to size and super-glued in place.
Having originals to copy should enable fair replicas to be fashioned and as they are static and part hidden in a tube round the props I believe it is do-able.
Good luck
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Captain)

16th Feb 2017 08:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26057

Morning Folks. Thank you for all the advice.
The prop, as you can see, has eight blades which are at different levels on the spinner. Having no experience of moulding, my latest plan is two use the two props on the rear torpedos.
Unless I can find suitable props for the front torpedos I leave them out altogether. I can also leave the two forward torpedo launchers empty.
As Octman has suggested, I can always say that the props are not visible as they are spinnng up for launching.
Bit of a cop out I know.

Steve

Attached Files - Click To View Large