Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 5 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Soldering 1/12 Scale Brass Railings
Soldering 1/12 Scale Brass Railings
(1086 views)
Ballast
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 56
25th Feb 2017 12:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26253

Hi Guys. Progress with my Cygnus Crabber is slow but positive. I am using the old "measure twice cut once" approach to every aspect of the build and picking as many brains and taking valuable advice from people, such as your good selves, as I can ! This is one such occasion. I am fast approaching the task of soldering, which I have never done before. I am making all the steelwork of the boat, i.e. stanchions, shooting bar, 'A' frame and railings out of brass tube and rod. I have made up a wooden jig to pattern the railings and 'A' frame. I have bought enough brass to afford me some extra for "dummy runs". Now when it come to the actual soldering I see on the market is some solder paste (solder and flux mixed) called "Plumbers Mate", I've watched a couple of videos using this product and it seems as though it would suit a novice like me. The thickest rod I am using is 2mm. Do you think this product suitable and do you have any other views please ? Yours studiously !😉

Alan
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 425
27th Feb 2017 01:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26296

First take a deep breath and calm down. Soldering is easy if your only using 2mm material I would get a reel of 60/40 cored solder. Use a decent sized electric soldering iron. Clean all your joints well ( use a fine abrasive like 600 wet and dry). Apply the iron to the joint then apply the solder remove solder remove iron. You made a joint repeat until you have done. Try not to burn yourself. Clean any flux with meths and an abrasive.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
Ballast
(Captain)

27th Feb 2017 08:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26299

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. This is a carbon copy of the advice I am being given by most. Practice makes perfect - - - - - - or so they say !!!👍😉

Alan
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
27th Feb 2017 10:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26302

Hi Alan
I make many of my fittings out of brass and provided you keep everything clean and free from oil especially from your hands the process is as Haverlock has described.
I use a small pot of FR Power Flux bought from the local pound shop, it's for lead free solder but works fine with my lead cored solder. I am not a fan of the new lead free solder and find it difficult to use, so if you can try and source some cored solder that doesn't conform to the new lead free standard.
At 2mm you will not need a high wattage (possibly 15-20 watts), I have a temp controlled iron so can adjust the heat.
A jig to hold everything square is essential and if you are soldering near to a previous joint you may need a wet cloth or a lump of metal to act as a heat sink to protect the previous joint.
Please keep us posted with your progress, many others struggle with soldering so your efforts will perhaps help them to take the plunge.
Good lick
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Ballast
(Captain)

27th Feb 2017 10:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26303

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply and info all of which is very helpful, giving me confidence to "take the bull by the horns" so to speak !!! I will definitely keep the site updated with progress. It is just having the initial confidence to take that mighty leap !!!👍😉

Alan
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Feb 2017 13:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26310

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-40-Tin-Lead-Solder-Wire-HQ-Flux...

Tin/lead solder is still out there and I agree with Dave not being a fan of lead free solders

Ballast
(Captain)

27th Feb 2017 13:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26313

Thanks Havelock all logged ! Thanks for your time, I might even upload some of my c😉ck-ups !!!

Alan
Ballast
(Captain)

6th Sep 2017 13:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32835

Hi Guys

As promised I am posting a few pics of my soldering apprenticeship !!!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Alan
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
6th Sep 2017 16:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32837

Hi Alan
Look like good soldered joints. You should be proud of your achievement.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 72
6th Sep 2017 16:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32840

That's a Master Class in soldering, fair play.

Ballast
(Captain)

6th Sep 2017 16:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32842

Thanks for your feedback and compliments gents. I seem to have had a bit of luck not being daunted by the trepidation that soldering brings !!! My Uncle builds dolls houses and has just given me an order for some brass bedsteads !!! He didn't mention if it would entail a coin of the realm being passed across my palm but the fact he wants me to make some is praise and enough reward for me !!! 😊😉

Alan
Flack
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 154
6th Sep 2017 23:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32846

First class soldering job.

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Sep 2017 08:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32848

so glad to see your work good job!! There will be no holding you now. The next step is to learn the joys of silver solder!!

Ballast
(Captain)

7th Sep 2017 16:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32866

Just thought I'd show you a picture of a soldering iron like the one I used ! Honest !!!

Alan
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 174
7th Sep 2017 16:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32870

Flex looks a bit dodgy ,but if it does the trick "it does the Trick"

cheers Marky

KenThompson
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 41
7th Sep 2017 16:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32871

Hi, if you look on u tube, you will find lots of videos of how to solder, the thing is,, they make it look so easy! I couldn't solder for toffee, until a visit to utube.
Have a look, you will be surprised.
Cheers
Ken

May the wind always be always where you want it .
Ballast
(Captain)

7th Sep 2017 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32872

Thanks Ken I already did and I watched the video's time and time again before I attempted what you see above !!!

It's alright Marky ! Mine has a new rubber flex and has been overhauled by an electrician, thanks for your concern!!! I found I was really comfortable with it and my confidence grew with every solder !

Alan
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 174
7th Sep 2017 19:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32873

still a bit more modern than my old non electric bolts(irons)😄

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1126
7th Sep 2017 19:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32875

All my old bolts have bolted 🤔😭

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
KenThompson
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 41
8th Sep 2017 09:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32892

Your soldering looks a lot better than mine Alan. Well done. As the saying goes,," practice makes perfect ".
That's probably my downfall, I only solder when I have too.
Cheers for now
Ken

May the wind always be always where you want it .
Ballast
(Captain)

8th Sep 2017 23:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32934

Thanks Ken ! At first I was really nervous but as I did loads of dummy runs I got more confident but I made some mistakes !!!

Alan