Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > brushless motor for a aerokits sea commander
brushless motor for a aerokits sea commander
(283 views)
Adijohn
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
27th Feb 2017 12:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26306

Hi all just starting to build a sea commander and I want to go brushless route, so wondering what your opinions for which motor I should use. Thanks all john.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
27th Feb 2017 16:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26318

Hi Adijohn
Welcome to the site.
You can search the site for Sea Commander and will find how others have progressed with their builds.
Regarding brushless I would expect a 35mm outrunner to be a suitable size with a prop of the same diameter and direct drive. The entry level power supply would be a NiMh battery of about 5000mAhr at 9.6 to 12v. If you really want the speed and endurance then LiPo is the best but does cost more and needs correct handling both when sailing and especially when charging.
Brushless motors have kv ratings which indicate the free load speed per volt, so for an 800Kv motor at 10v = 8000revs (it will be less under load). They also have a wattage limit which is the product of the voltage times the amps, so for 10v at 20 amps this is 200 watts. If you exceed this the motor will overheat and fail. The ESC also has a max amp rating and best practice suggests this is twice the expected running current.
You can buy a wattmeter to measure current and watts.
There are many suppliers but have a look at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Component-Shop?_trksid=p2047675.l25...
Hope this helps and if you like my response please tick the like box to help others find the post.
Good luck and please post details of your build.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
canabus
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 57
1st Mar 2017 05:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26385

Hi
I have a Aerokits Sea Commander with a 35mm brushless motor
3639-1100kv Turnigy 800 watts, 3S Lipo battery 5800mah 25C Turnigy, 60 Amp car ESC and using a 2 blade 40mm prop. Good turn of speed without going silly.

Attached Files - Click To View Large