All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.
Many thanks for your kind support.
Model Boats Website Team
March 2017: 7 people February 2017: 12 people January 2017: 37 people December 2016: 2 people November 2016: 2 people October 2016: 8 people September 2016: 4 people August 2016: 5 people July 2016: 4 people June 2016: 1 person May 2016: 1 person April 2016: 9 people March 2016: 5 people
quite a few years ago I was asked if I could make a model boat hull for a friends son.
As then a laminator it was an easy job after making the plug to the approx specs asked for.
I made the plug and mould then cast a test moulding asked if i could keep the test mould and was told by all means have one.
The mould was handed over when completed and payment ect was made. The test moulding i just stuck in the loft Not knowing I would ever start modeling boats so much later in life.
So Now I am into the model boats hobby.
Here is the hull with twin outlets for the propshaft. And progress so far with the superstructure.
Approx 51 inches long 17 inches wide and a depth of 11 inches.
As I was paid to do the job nothing in the end belonged to me except the hull I was told I could have. In writing I may add..
Made a flat sheet of laminate and enclosed the whole hull on the top. Cut out an area for the superstructure and as you can see I have started a rough looking superstructure. I have no plans or drawings for this so it will go where ever it ends up I guess..
Apart from the hull I plan on using ALL recycled materials from our local tip.
Paint .Plastic and everything else... The big idea apart from saving material from the tip is to make the model at the lowest possible cost.
Motors and some other electrical parts will be removed and put into this model from the Ayton cross So all the parts will be transferable from model to model. Well thats the plan anyway. Guess I will have to wait and see how that goes later.
Prop shafts props and rudders will be new so NOT replaceable.
The timber so far a lump of 4x2 from the tip Free all cut down and sanded. The superstructure I have used a large fliptop plastic white bin from the tip again £1.00 Superglue bought from the local £1. shop.
Filler and sanding paper I already have. So I have started it. I will update as I go along..
Impressive looking hull, superstructure looking about right, most of my earlier model are scratchbuilt, using what ever was to hand. Until quite recently all my hulls where balsa and ply board, progressed to plastic and plastic card these days. Welcome to an interesting hobby.
So here are the two large cranes I have made for the boat. Not sure where there going to go yet but non the less there made. Between coughing and shaking I have at last managed to get them painted.
Also a cargo container looks to be about the right scale so I will make a few more later.. Again all made from scrap softwood and paint from our local tip. The container made from a 1 gallon plastic bleach container and 2 small bits of welding wire.
The handrails and ladders were given to me some time ago so I will have to make a lot more myself later..
Just a bit of paint to finish on the life rafts that sit inside the superstructure and I will post those images as well later.
The superstructure or most of it has now been painted in primer. Now I can see what needs more sanding and filling. It could be a few days before it is dry enough to do more to as this was household paint from the local tip 50 pence for a near on full tin.
The large cut out in the sides of the superstructure is to house a life boat station on either side.
They have just been Finished to the best of my ability. And need to be fixed into position when the top has been completed.
So I am thinking it will be time to do a little more on another model I have started..
A little bit more completed. Just finished the hatched area where I intend to put the two large cranes. The black lines are wider than I would have liked but It was All I could find.
So started with a marked out area using household sellotape. Lightly stuck down on the inside edge. Then painted the inside of the sellotaped area with yellow paint Again Acquired from our local recycling Tip.
Removed the tape and Allowed the yellow paint to dry. Then with a strait flat stick and a permanent marker set to lining out the black part of the lines.
With a thinner black marker the lines could have been thinner. But It was All I had.
Also started to put some doors and a few other fittings on now..
A few more little items now added. And still a lot to make and do.
Another 20 shipping containers to make for a start.
As the superstructure is removable I was thinking I should make all the rear deck area as the same removable. I then would be able to make another rear deck with a different type of cargo and another type of superstructure both to fit the same Hull. Hence a few boats all using the same Hull and running gear.
Having the advantage of Not having to buy another hull or the electronics and motors...
Running gear and the electronics I have not as yet sorted anything out. So will have to look about for that OR use the electronics and motors from the Ayton Cross tug as I made them removable as well.