Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2017: 10 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (26)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Recovery vessel
Recovery vessel
(597 views)
sandkb
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 5
6th Apr 2017 10:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27264

Hi. I'm not sure if I'm on the correct forum to ask this question but here it is.
I am wanting to build some sort of recovery vessel for when my steam launch runs out of steam in the middle of the lake or gets tangled in weed or for whatever reason.
Have any of the Members got any helpful suggestions, plans or pics that could help me with this please ?
Thanks
Kevin

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1283
6th Apr 2017 14:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27270

Hi Kevin
There have been several suggested methods over the years.

My own club had a device using plastic 1.5" (approx) water pipe covered in foam heating insulation. Basically two joined rectangles with open ends. The recovery tug steers into one side and moves to the stopped vessel which it collects in the other open rectangle and returns to shore.

I have also seen a tug with two pivoting extended arms on the bow controlled by a servo. The arms are closed about the stricken vessel which is then towed back to shore.

The fast racers often have a boat with some fine cord attached and anchored to the shore. The boat goes out to and circles the stranded vessel then returns to shore. The stranded boat can then be pulled back to shore.

I have been experimenting with neodium magnets embedded in the hull with more magnets embedded in the rescue boat hull which carries line anchored to the shore. This should enable both models to be recovered in the event that the stranded vessel is snagged in some way.

I'm sure other will have their own solutions and will hopefully share.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
sandkb
(Admiral)

6th Apr 2017 22:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27286

Thank you Dave, much appreciated. I've been busy lately with some other projects so my Smit Rotterdam build is resting up at the moment .
Kevin

Commodore-H
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 11
7th Apr 2017 02:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27287

A recovery vessel is a good idea but a little complex. If your boat is stuck in weeds the second boat may do the same.

A simpler solution, if the boat is not too far from shore, is a fishing pole and line. You can cast a fishing pole pretty far without much trouble. You need a liitle weight , keep in to a minimum and equip your line with a non-damaging hook. A dull treble hook with no barbs works well. Cast near and beyond the stranded vessel and work it over till it catches, then reel it in.

sandkb
(Admiral)

7th Apr 2017 03:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27289

Thanks for that.worth considering . I thought maybe an airport Boat would overcome the weed issue.

sandkb
(Admiral)

7th Apr 2017 04:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27290

The last post should have read air boat ie. swamp boat.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Apr 2017 15:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27306

Thought you were considering International Rescue!!! Thunderbirds are Go!

Live long and prosper

Dave
canabus
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 55
8th Apr 2017 09:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27322

Hi All
We tested one today using PVC conduct covered with pool noodles which is a high density foam. We used hair elastic bands to hold the recovery boat to the device which also handles different width boats. The other end is faired out to help capture the other boat also if only a push is required.
The forward sections can be un pinned for transport.
The test today worked well on the unrequired to be rescued tug.
The PVC tubes are sealed in the T sections and the removal sections forward of the joint pins.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Apr 2017 11:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27324

This is similar to the one we have in the club but the two sections are side by side with opposite open ends so you can sail along side the stricken boat to capture. Can be difficult on windy days as there is a fair amount of drag, but usually works. This does pack up to a small area so easy to transport.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
sandkb
(Admiral)

9th Apr 2017 00:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27338

Thanks for that. Good idea.