Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
May 2017: 6 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 8 people
September 2016: 1 person

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Motor Mounts
Motor Mounts
(708 views)
cormorant
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 141
6th Apr 2017 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27284

My latest project is the completion of 'Pilot II', built from plans by Vic Smeed. (Not sure of the vintage but the plans cost five shillings). (Picture 1)
If I mount the motors using conventional u/v couplings I cannot secure them without making holes in the hull. (Picture 2)
The only remedy I can see is to extend the coupling, therefore giving me enough gap between the hull and the mounts to secure them without damaging the hull. This would mean extending the couplings by approx 37mm (Pic 3).
I am unable to use what appear to be the already built mounts as I cannot get the motors to that angle.
I have never extended motor mounts so any advice would be welcome.
Steve

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Commodore-H
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 9
7th Apr 2017 02:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27288

Ok, move the motor back a little, you don't have to follow the plans they are actually guide lines so you can change what you like to adapt to a situation. Make the shafts a little longer.

The piece of wood you are mounting the motor on looks a little thin to me. Try something a little thicker and bevel the bottom of one side to match the hull contour.

cormorant
(Captain)

7th Apr 2017 07:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27291

Can I extend the shafts without extending the tubes?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1106
7th Apr 2017 09:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27293

Hi Steve
I do believe the type of coupling you are using is able to be extended by using two in line with a brass joiner in the middle. I often use silicon exhaust tubing in place of the red bits - its a tight fit over the serrated brass bits and can be cut to any size. A solid piece of stainless rod inside the tube will help to stop any tendency to whip.
Another alternative would be to use some JP Power 480 motors (28mm dia - got mine from Cornwall MB) which are fast and would suit this type of speedboat and may fit in the original position. Simon (ex propshop http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/) supplies a really well matched prop - it's used for racing.
Good luck with the project
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Captain)

7th Apr 2017 13:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27299

Thanks Dave. Do you mean something like this?
I'm going to stick with the 540 motors as they should give me enough speed for this type of boat.
Steve

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Apr 2017 15:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27301

Hi Steve
Yes that looks like it. You do need to fiddle around with the mounting to get a good smooth alignment. If you can align both couplings with a length of close fitting tubing or four strips of wood and two rubber bands this will give you a good starting point. I use a 1.5v battery to power the motor and adjust for best speed and lowest noise level. You can use an ammeter to monitor the current and adjust for the lowest level for best results.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Apr 2017 15:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27302

Steve
Just noticed you have used two coupling end pieces in the middle. You can get a double male insert to join the two red bits. Will save a bit on the length and cost!
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Captain)

7th Apr 2017 15:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27303

Thanks for that Dave. Good thing you had another look!

cormorant
(Captain)

15th Apr 2017 16:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27475

Hi Dave. Motors installed and running smoothly with double couplings as you suggested. Thank you.
Called in at Jotika for some bits and spoke to John about my fear of piercing the hull. He suggested I use silicone to fix the motors to the mounts as he uses it for things such as flexible drives on his big powerboats. That's what I've used and it seems to work.
I am using 4 -15v 540 brushed motors. Being sold on lipos, what batteries do you suggest I use? I'm not looking for high speed.
Steve

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Apr 2017 19:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27480

Hi Steve
Yes I intended to use silicon to fix the motors on the Perkassa. Works well and acts as a damper to any noise.
The battery really depends on your speed controller as that may have a max voltage of say 12v. It's not a big model so I suspect a 3 cell 11.1v at 2200/3000 mA would suffice and provide plenty of power for the two motors. If you have a 7.2 NiMh available I suggest you try that and see if its fast enough. A 7.4 LiPo will give more endurance and speed so a 2 cell may suffice.
LiPos do need protecting from over discharge so make sure your ESC has such protection or buy an add on unit that warns you when the battery voltage is too low. The ESC version is better as it cuts or reduces the current before damage is done.
The Amp/Hr rating gets dearer the higher you go, so its down to you as to what you buy. Higher ratings will give you more speed but also longer running times.
Glad the coupling worked.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Captain)

15th Apr 2017 22:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27484

Hi Dave
I am using Mtronics Viper Marine 20s- (I did order 15s but Howes sent these by mistake). I am using 3cell 30-40c 5000mah in the Perkasa - batteries are overkill I suspect?
A 7.4 2 cell lipo seems a good bet then?
Steve

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Apr 2017 01:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27493

Hi Steve
You are limited to 12v with your ESC. I suspect the 2 cell 7.4 should fit the bill. I think the Viper does not have the cut off for Lixx batteries so you will need to source a separate warning device. I used to have one from my model aircraft days that sounded a buzzer and flashed lights but I don't know of a current supplier, sorry
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Apr 2017 01:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27494

Hi Steve
Try BRC Hobbies http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/ 1-8 Cell Lithium Battery Voltage Checker & Low Volt (LOUD) Alarm. Approx£4.
Cheap if it saves your battery
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Captain)

16th Apr 2017 07:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27495

Hi Dave
I have one of these already on order https://vod.ebay.co.uk/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemid=391742391266&transid=738429804026&ul_noapp=true

Should be ok?
Steve

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 294
16th Apr 2017 08:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27498

Mtroniks do have lipo friendly vipers, they are call "tio" I recall, if that is written on the cover you can set upo for lipo, if not then its imperative you have some sort of alarm as dave says, they plug into the balance lead on the lipo, and are current sensitive, so need to be the right way round to work. The ones I use are here, and also can be pre programmed to sound at a given low voltage. I use 3.7v on a boat, and 3.8v on a plane. Ant lower and they take longer to charge. If over discharged they are generally finished. There are ways to recover them, but its regarded as bad practise. Nims can be discharged fully, but are now really yesterdays technonlogy, heavier, and not any cheaper these days!
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cell-checker-with-low-voltage-alarm-2s-8s.html
Paul

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Apr 2017 10:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27501

Hi Steve
Your link is personal to your ebay account so I can't view. I looked on ebay and found RC 2-8S LiPo LiFe Cell VOLTAGE CHECKER LOW VOLTAGE METER ALARM.
If this is similar to what you have bought and with an alarm then it should be OK
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Captain)

16th Apr 2017 13:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27509

Thank you both. I have these on order - 1S-8S RC Lipo Battery Low Voltage Alarm Buzzer Indicator Meter Tester Checker EH.
They seem similar to the ones you both suggest.
Steve

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 294
16th Apr 2017 21:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27535

Hi Steve, can you leave your alarm plugged into the balance lead as you run the boat, this is what you need, so you get an alarm when the boat is running signifying playtime is over😁

If its not, then consider for the money my link, or similar, I have a few, and use them on planes, helis, boats, it will pay for itself time and time over to stop you over discharging the lipo 👍

cormorant
(Captain)

17th Apr 2017 16:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27578

Hi Paul
Haven't got them yet, but as far as I know, you can leave them plugged in. If you can't, I will certainly go back to your link. Thanks.
Steve