Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2017: 10 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Wooden ladders
Wooden ladders
(550 views)
AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 385
12th Apr 2017 16:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27413

I will in the near future have to make some wooden ladders for the Lady T 1/32 scale.
Now I know some of you are clever peeps, so what is the best method of making these?.

Alan

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1283
13th Apr 2017 13:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27435

Alan
I have made ladders in the past by using light ply. cut two strips to over length. Join with double sided tape. Mark a centre line down the middle of one strip and carefully mark off the distance between each step. Use a small drill the same diameter as your chosen steps and drill through both strips. The best way is to make a small brass jig with two holes of the correct diameter and distance. Put a bit of step in one hole and use as a template to keep the distance equal. A strip of wood alongside the jig helps keep the centre line.
Once all holes are drilled, seperate the two strips and clean up any residual stickyness. Place the steps in the holes and align the sides. A jig of the correct spacing helps keep all square. I use white glue or a spot of super glue to secure. Once dry lightly sand the sides flat. If you intend to stain the wood you will need to do this before you glue. You will need a jig to hold everything whilst you do this before glueing.
Hope this helps
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Apr 2017 14:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27436

Thanks Dave 👍 well explained 😁 I will use that method for the ladder that goes up the funnel.
Perhaps my heading is a bit misleading, the others that I have to make have flat treads rather than rungs, I don't know but maybe this sort are called companionways, or something other than ladders.
Thanks again Dave.

Alan

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1283
13th Apr 2017 19:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27441

Hi Alan
I did wonder but yes steps or companionways have flat treads.

You need to make the sides as for the steps but with no holes.

Get a piece of wood totally square at the same thickness as the steps. Make two 1/4" wooden side pieces and mount on a flat piece of wood to hold the square but allow it to slide. Remove the square piece and using a set square mark a line across both side pieces. Take a fine toothed saw and make an angled cut into both pieces. The angle should match the angle you require for your step. Use the set square to mark where you want your next step and cut another angle cut into the two side pieces. A simple wooden jig cut using the previous angle will help keep all square.

You now have a jig to cut the slots in the sliding piece of square wood. Best to just cut to the depth of your steps. Cut the first then put a piece of thin ply in the slot and using the adjacent slot in the side pieces cut another slot. move the ply to the new slot and continue until you have enough steps.

Remove the square slotted wood. Insert the steps into the slots and sand smooth at both ends then glue to the sides one side at a time. If like me the glue gets in the wrong place you can make the jig smaller. Do however retain the full thickness for some of the wood to allow you to sand the steps smooth on both sides.

Don't forget to add the antislip covering to the centre of each step!

Good luck and please let us know how you progress
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Apr 2017 14:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27450

Thanks for that explanation Dave, your finger must hurt after that.
It will be a while before I get to the stage of making them, I like to have things clear in my head well before hand, but I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help.

Alan