Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 8 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Fantastic Plastic
Fantastic Plastic
(983 views)
none
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
15th Apr 2017 08:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27458

I now have enough plastic to complete the Shamrock Police boat.

thread here https://model-boats.com/forum/building-related/27236

And Also now have some larger pieces seems these bits are scrap as well due to the fact they fell on the floor and nobody bothered to pick them up and just walked all over them.

so they have little dents in them.
That is no problem for me to fill as and when I need to.

So having just made a small rhib for the Shamrock about 16 inches long I thought it would be nice to make a fully working one.

So I started this one is 35 inches long without the sponsons.

I have All the electrics for it already ( Hand me downs ) so no nothing to loose.

So this could be the model that costs nothing to make and build.

No Plans or drawings or templates and now under way.

All constructed out of 2mm foam board plastic..

Held together with electrical insulating tape while the glue dried.

I will have a bit of filling and sanding to do when it is a single solid piece.

Now comes the part of working out some sort of rough scale for the completed hull.

In the meanwhile forming the chines out of the same plastic but very thin strips.

Not found any bright Orange paint yet but still looking . If all fails it will be a white rhib.

I am thinking with the foam collar the weight of the electrics placed as low as I can get them I may need very little ballast
As so far it is very light.
Still as always another lets see how it turns out..

Attached Files - Click To View Large

onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 121
15th Apr 2017 13:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27470

B&Q stock all colours of paint and looking at their corporate colour I would be surprised if they didn't stock orange paint Humbrol do /did a lovely orange and a flourescent one too. If all else fails go to an angling shop as they stock it for float 👍😊makers

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Apr 2017 16:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27477

Plenty of time for the paint you never know what colours could be deposited at our locaL tip

Rochdaleblue
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
15th Apr 2017 18:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27479

I'm a bit wary of plastic I suppose I am a wood man but I have my I on a plastic hulled model on eBay. what's it like to use? the main advantage I suppose is it's smooth surface for painting.

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Apr 2017 19:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27483

Personally I find plastic very easy to use.
Easy to cut and sand
And no grain to send away or fill.

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 307
16th Apr 2017 09:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27499

I hate wood! cant work with it, its always a disaster😱

Plastic for me, cuts easy, glues easy, cheap, pretty much paint ready, light. I refurbished my fireboat with it, and did the PCF build with it, also, our models get wet, and its waterproof, !😊

Rochdaleblue
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
16th Apr 2017 09:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27500

I probably like wood because I'm a carpenter by trade, but I will give Plastic a try.

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 48
16th Apr 2017 13:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27512

I'm more comfortable working with wood as I was taught woodworking skills at school back in the dark and distant, but plastic certainly has it's merits as it's versatile and far more malleable, and forgiving, as I have discovered during my build, even brass work is getting easier for me 😁.
Rob

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
none
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Apr 2017 13:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27513

I have found wood is not forgiving in respect of when ever i cut wood and it is wrong And I do that a lot gluing a bit back on makes the whole job more tatty than my usually tatty attempts
But with the plastic gluing a bit on and sanding away gives me personally a better result.

I guess if I was a wood worker then wood would be the way for me.

Even found balsa wood not that great to use. sanding away the grain..Easy to cut and glue but again the finish lets me down..
But that,s me personally..

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Apr 2017 12:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27610

I have been messing about making the rough shape of an outboard engine for the fantastic plastic rhib I have started.

I am now thinking rather than make the bottom section of the balsa wood motor I would use the whole motor as the rudder.

The bottom section would be the rudder the middle and top section would be seen above the water line.

I may be able to fit a servo to one side or the other inside the Splash well and connect the servo to the front of the motor engine housing.

That way I will Not have to fit an additional rudder .
The rudder will not be seen when the rhib is in the water but the engine will swivel from side to side as the rudder is moved via the servo.

Any better ideas ?

pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 307
19th Apr 2017 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27621

if you wanted to be real fussy, pm stephen see if he can 3d print the top part of the engine that is visible, he did these engines for me

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Apr 2017 07:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27632

So I have been doing some paint priming and still messing about with the outboard..

It now has the rudder dry fitted and it will not be seen above the waterline..
Most of the shaping is done now And I have cut out for access hatches to both to fit and get to the servo.
The hatches I have got are semi waterproof and come off of some wet wipes.

Now all the shapes are about right I will just carry on with a little more. And start looking about for the foam for the sponsons and some paints.

This I am sure is going to be very light so with the electrics as low in the hull as possible and the foam tubes I have no Idea how much little ballast I will get away with...

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Apr 2017 08:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27651

Painted the outside of the hull yesterday with the only orange Paint I could find in my relations shed .

Just enough to do the job..

Dry fitted the engine and the servo just to see if I would be able to marry up the engine and the servo and Yes looks like it will
work.

The rudder is now on the engine instead of a dummy prop that would have done nothing and would not have been seen in the water anyway.

The opposite hatch in the splash well is where I will place the on and Off switch
Just looking about for some foam for the sponsons now.

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Apr 2017 08:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27879

Like an advert on the T.V a little boy waiting for a washing up liquid bottle so as he could make something .

I have had to wait for two.
Used them for the sponson ends.

Still now got them and have got so far with the RHIB .

Managed all the electrical gear all fitted and working.

Seating and a consul and some sort of figure thinking on an action man and it should be done,

Done or not I may be trying this on Sunday .
It is still very light for the size 41 inches so out with the lead for temp ballast.

Runs on a 4mm shaft with two blade 45mm prop Powered with a brushed 600 motor.
The rudder is the engine instead of a dummy prop on the outboard it is the rudder under the water out of site.

Still will have see how it all runs.

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th May 2017 07:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28953

tore the rhib apart.

It went really well but the video I took was on the side so I never posted it.

Anyway now in bits as I will use the hull for a fast boat.

And the shamrock Police boat Well got bored with that so its in the bin and I will start something else on big blue later..

In fact Have started something else will post a thread soon