And Also now have some larger pieces seems these bits are scrap as well due to the fact they fell on the floor and nobody bothered to pick them up and just walked all over them.
so they have little dents in them. That is no problem for me to fill as and when I need to.
So having just made a small rhib for the Shamrock about 16 inches long I thought it would be nice to make a fully working one.
So I started this one is 35 inches long without the sponsons.
I have All the electrics for it already ( Hand me downs ) so no nothing to loose.
So this could be the model that costs nothing to make and build.
No Plans or drawings or templates and now under way.
All constructed out of 2mm foam board plastic..
Held together with electrical insulating tape while the glue dried.
I will have a bit of filling and sanding to do when it is a single solid piece.
Now comes the part of working out some sort of rough scale for the completed hull.
In the meanwhile forming the chines out of the same plastic but very thin strips.
Not found any bright Orange paint yet but still looking . If all fails it will be a white rhib.
I am thinking with the foam collar the weight of the electrics placed as low as I can get them I may need very little ballast As so far it is very light. Still as always another lets see how it turns out..
B&Q stock all colours of paint and looking at their corporate colour I would be surprised if they didn't stock orange paint Humbrol do /did a lovely orange and a flourescent one too. If all else fails go to an angling shop as they stock it for float 👍😊makers
I'm more comfortable working with wood as I was taught woodworking skills at school back in the dark and distant, but plastic certainly has it's merits as it's versatile and far more malleable, and forgiving, as I have discovered during my build, even brass work is getting easier for me 😁. Rob
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
I have found wood is not forgiving in respect of when ever i cut wood and it is wrong And I do that a lot gluing a bit back on makes the whole job more tatty than my usually tatty attempts But with the plastic gluing a bit on and sanding away gives me personally a better result.
I guess if I was a wood worker then wood would be the way for me.
Even found balsa wood not that great to use. sanding away the grain..Easy to cut and glue but again the finish lets me down.. But that,s me personally..
So I have been doing some paint priming and still messing about with the outboard..
It now has the rudder dry fitted and it will not be seen above the waterline.. Most of the shaping is done now And I have cut out for access hatches to both to fit and get to the servo. The hatches I have got are semi waterproof and come off of some wet wipes.
Now all the shapes are about right I will just carry on with a little more. And start looking about for the foam for the sponsons and some paints.
This I am sure is going to be very light so with the electrics as low in the hull as possible and the foam tubes I have no Idea how much little ballast I will get away with...