Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > glass cloth or tissue?
glass cloth or tissue?
(645 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
4th May 2017 08:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28076

Hi all,
I'm having to cover the Vanity hull as it has a few gaps twixt planks. Usually people use glass cloth, maybe 1 oz., but I hear some still find it a pain to put on, so I wonder if any have used tissue with epoxy with any success.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 633
4th May 2017 10:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28078

Hi again!
I used tissue on my destroyer (1.35m) with success, light and strong and minimal filling and sanding of lumps and bumps :-)
Don't make the resin mix too thick and sticky or it won't soak in properly.
Brush a thin mix into the wood to seal it first. Start at the keel and work up.
Not too much hardener or it can go brittle, apart from going off too fast ;-(
Shame to cover up all that lovely woodwork though 🤔 Can't you use a suitable coloured wood filler then varnish it? 'Wood' 😉 look wonderful.
Cheer Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 10:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28080

Thanks, Doug.
No, the woodwork really isn't good enough for varnishing and as it's a scale model it has to be painted. Good old British yacht black, with a coppered bottom. I still have a piece of her copper somewhere. It was perfect after 120 odd years! I'll go with the tissue then, thanks for the info. Apparently you can thin epoxy with meths, but I've never found it that thick and I used 25 litres on my full sized canal boat restoration! Supplied free by West as a kind of sponsorship. Hot weather helps, but, as you say it can go off a bit quick if you're not careful with the mix. A guy at the boatyard once mixed way too much to repair his GRP boat and it started to go off in the pot, which then caught fire. A large set of tongs was handy in dunking it in a barrel of water!

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 10:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28083

Yep, it can generate a lot of heat if you overdo it ;-/
Copper foil below the waterline will look great 👍
Your boat had more luck than a GF mine-hunter I once worked on.
That put a copper plate on the keel to act as a counter balance for the comms antennas, which we fitted. Before it came to sea trials we noticed the comms performance on the HF antennas had deteriorated. The yard sent divers down and found that the copper plate looked like Chantilly Lace after only a few months 🤔
Maybe I'll start a Blog about my destroyer - "HMS Hotspur - A Never Ending Story" - it started 50 years ago and the ship has undergone many Life Extension Programmes since. Here a couple of pics (Box Brownie 127!) of the maiden voyage , ca 1965-66, in Radnor Park, Folkestone, Kent. Free-running on 2 cheap Mabuchis and a 4.5V cycle lamp battery!
Those were the days, oder vielleicht nicht 😉

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 12:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28089

Took me a while to work out what a GirlFriend minehunter was!
I used to have zinc sacrificial anodes on my steel narrowboat. We noticed whe we had our wooden historic boat out that many steel boats were losing their zinc in as little as two years. Yet my old boat had them fitted new when I had it out for a blacking as it had NEVER had any and hadn't suffered at all!

Free running, cheap Mabuchis, Cycle battery, Oh those were the days indeed, aber veiieicht so!!
My wee Sea Urchin still has it's 58 year old Kako and original shaft and tin prop. I just can't find any flat bell batteries any more!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 12:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28093

That was quite something working on the mine-hunter, all the superstructure was made of 1.5 or 2 cm glass-fibre preformed sections. Look like a ginormous Airfix kit stacked up on the dockside. Working inside before it was painted was eery - all translucent green like you were underwater 😉
The shipyard was in Sarsana Italy near Carrera so that was fun as well, used to drive down there from Munich, sometimes with the GF 😉

Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 15:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28105

I bet you had a good time. My Dad always wanted to go back to Italy as he had a good time there in the War. There are likely to be 65 year old gingers running all over Naples! Thank God I didn't get the ginger gene!

I went to town to get some tissue paper and came away with stuff that reminds me of Izal arse paper. Remember that stuff. Great if you had an itchy bum, but useless at wiping things. Then we went in anther big shop and they had cotton waste sheets as clean up rags. Perfect! Dozens of big cotton rags for a quid! So they will be epoxy soaked and slapped on the hull. They're amazingly strong too. Might then lay up the Izal arsewipe on top. It'll look like do as you like day at Kids R Us!
But paint is a wonderful thing.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 16:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28110

I remember Izal 🤔 worse than hemorrhoids😲
Never heard of cotton and resin before but there you go. You live and learn😎 Now where are my old vests ............?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 17:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28116

PS I had understood 'tissue' as glass fibre tissue, as opposed to mat, that's what I used for Hotspur! Never thought of using 'bum scratcher' 😎😆

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 388
4th May 2017 17:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28119

Hi Guys, have you thought about stockings/tights??? get the wife out of them first !!!! stretch them over the hull and resin them into place, might need 2 layers but they are very strong and free

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 17:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28120

What denier do you recommend??? 😎

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28122

Hi Doug, the denier is what the wife was wearing, if its a thin one use 2 or 3 layers

Etherow Model Boat Club
Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 18:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28123

I knew a guy did that, but the water still got in the fish net

No, the cotton is like J-Cloth....cotton waste. It's like fibreglass tissue but much softer and more compliant, but massively strong, especially once the epoxy has set.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 19:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28128

Hi Martin; Sounds a bit like 'Try boots.' Answer: 'I did but it came out the lace-holes!' Oldy but goldy 😉

J-cloth noted! There's similar product here, or same with German name?
Although I must admit these days I'm more interested in the superstructure, functions and electronics. Hull building is too time consuming!

@ Jarvo, thanks for the tip, only, 'wife' is an institution I resigned from over 20 years ago! Must check what the GFs wearing😉😎

Cheers all

Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 21:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28137

Can't afford GRP, Doug and they don't do what I want anyway. Plus the sellers all seem to be retiring without first flogging the stuff to anyone new. I prefer wherry to Thames barge, classic mahogany speed to merchantmen and if I ever see another damned tug it'll be too soon, so I am forced to make what I want to see on the water. And I still get a bit of a kick from it AND I'm still pretty quick.
But for now, I'm orff to watch Midsommer Moiders.

Cheers,
Martin

Delboy
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 12
10th May 2017 20:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28574

I always use lightweight glass fabric. I have tried model airplane tissue, horticultural fleece and just about anything else that could possibly be a cheap solution. Nothing works like glass fabric though.
I find Deluxe Materials is the handiest source for me.

John
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 74
10th May 2017 21:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28585

I have never used tissue but I have used both glass cloth and tights. I found the glass cloth easier to use, both to cut and place. I would imagine you could have similar problems with tissue I had with tights.

John.

Happy sailing.

John.
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 21:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28586

HI John, the tights only really work when you just slide the hull into the leg whole, if you cut the material it springs back on you

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 21:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28587

OooooH, tights are SUCH a bother ..! 😁😉 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 21:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28588

I'll try the J-Cloth first and see how well that wets out. Otherwise I have to mail order yet another item that the local model shop seems not to stock. According to their website anyway.

Martin

John
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 74
10th May 2017 21:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28589

Hi Mark, I used the tights to repair a small leak inside the hull (the result of someone crashing into the hull at speed). At the time I did not have any glass cloth. I secured the edges first then the middle. I then used filler on the outside. So far the repair has not given me any trouble.

John.

Happy sailing.

John.