Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
June 2017: 6 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 1 person

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Steaming ply- good idea or not?
Steaming ply- good idea or not?
(291 views)
octman
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 59
6th Jun 2017 07:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29804

The boat I am constructing at the moment, Aeronaut Jenny, requires a few ply parts to be installed that need to be curved. These are not the hull sheeting etc as that is thin enough to curve without problems, but the transom and a few other small parts also need to be curved slightly to fit. I could glue these parts in place using clamps etc to force them into the correct shape, or steam them. But the question is- will the steaming de-laminate the ply. The other parts on the boat that I have steamed, the stringers, are not ply so there was no problem there.

Chris

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 373
6th Jun 2017 08:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29805

Hi Chris, A way is to score the back of the piece to be curved with a sharp blade, depending on the thickness of the ply. Also lay a few pieces of kitchen paper on a flat surface and go over the piece with a rolling pin pressing hard to get a curve into the ply.

Wetting the ply, test some scrap ply and see if it delaminates, if not wet it and put it round a former such as a paint can hold it with bands or straps until dry.

Hope this helps

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
sonar
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 177
6th Jun 2017 12:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29826

But the question is- will the steaming de-laminate the ply

If you have a bit of scrap you can try.

Failing that I suggest wet with a sponge and bend in clamps overnight..

I much prefer the company of older woman but as the years go by there are less and less about..
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1139
6th Jun 2017 12:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29827

Hi Chris
Depends on how long you steam for. As has been suggested try on a scrap piece to find the best length of time to steam. You need to aim for the ply to be just soft enough to follow the curve you require then clamp over a former and allow to dry,
Sorry but it really is trial and error.
Sometimes it is better to use a solid infill and sand to shape for very sharp curves.
please let us know how you fare with the process
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 59
6th Jun 2017 14:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29828

Thanks for all the replies. I had forgotten all about the rolling and scoring techniques-well over 35 years since my last model boat build. I have now rolled a couple of small parts and successfully fitted them, so thanks. Haven't worked on the transom yet but the curve is not very great so I think I will giving the scoring method a go.

Chris

Peter47
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 48
7th Jun 2017 14:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29887

Hi Octoman, I usual soak until pliant enough, then bend and clamp over a former, leaving over night same as others have suggested then glue and clamp to prepared formers, I personally have not tried steaming them. I added some pictures of a Funnel I made for my HMS Princess Beatrix model, as you an see it takes quite a curve with out splitting. :-P

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 417
7th Jun 2017 14:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29889

Interesting subject 👍
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Princess_Beatrix

and even more interesting story behind her build! 😉
https://sites.google.com/site/hmsprincessbeatrix/httpssitesg...
Good basis for a (retrospective!) build blog here?? 😉

I know the yard where she was built; was there several times in the last 20 years to discuss comms systems for new designs.
Cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
Peter47
(Commander)

7th Jun 2017 14:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29890

Glad you like my efforts RNinMunich, here and on the internet, the longer link in your post, still researching HMS Princess Beatrix even know the model is built, in the process of changing her railings, from plastic to brass. I found De Schelde her, builder very helpful even sent me a 50th scale drawings of her hull, too late in the build to convert my hull shape, to match, but she turned out to be a very stable boat in the long run. Did offer them some picture of her when completed, but got no responce.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2017 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29891

Hi Peter, De Schelde is now part of the 'Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS)' group. http://www.schelde.com/
Since I don't have (and don't want!) a Google account I can't access your build photos 🤔 Would love to see them here in a Build Blog!😉
I know what you mean about 'never finished'! I first built my H class 1936 destroyer HMS Hotspur when I was about 14, I'm now 65, and she's currently undergoing about her 4th refit / rebuild, each time with more modern materials and electronics. In the old days I had to build a lot of electronics myself; speed controller, relay switching board etc. All good fun 😉 For Hotspur's funnel I used a similar technique to you, with 0.5mm 3ply. The original version was done with 1/32 balsa sheet! Cheers Doug 😎

Peter47
(Commander)

7th Jun 2017 16:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29892

Thanks for info on Damen Schelde, Doug note to self must add or change links on my PB site, this should take you to build pictures on OneDrive https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArUthhmpL1t8goVoucBJtMG1w6NKVw and this will take you hopefully to other folders relating to the ships Princess Beatrix, HMS Queen (Koningin) Emma, and other models of them - https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArUthhmpL1t8grwWEER4GPQQ5TvNVA Fingers cross this works 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2017 17:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29896

Excellent, worked perfectly 👍
You sure put a lot of work and detail into her! Hats off! 😉
Doug 😎

Peter47
(Commander)

7th Jun 2017 17:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29900

So glad they worked for you, have been back to PB site and added link to all folders on OneDrive as well as google+, just to cover all the bases. Thanks for the idea 😁. Most of her cargo LCAs and LCMs and launch ramps, I did in mainly plastic card, bar the Keel of the LCAs were constructed in balsa, for ease. One or two of the LCAs had plywood sides & deck, but which even I couldn't say 😋