Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Dont throw your tins out.
Dont throw your tins out.
(754 views)
mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 9
5th Jul 2017 15:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30973

Hi mbws, Latest recycled tin effort,looking forward to boaty thing in Heywood Grt Manchester in September, I literally live ten mins away! www.mclarenclockworksubmarines.com
The boats 20" long and made entirely from tinplate the clockwork motor was a Big Ben alarm clock.
cheers Neil.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

marky
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 80
5th Jul 2017 16:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30975

hi Neil .
A quick question or two ,is this beauty fully soldered? , if you use the large olive oil cans how do you remove the internal coating they tend to have? and where does the key go?

Cheers Mark

mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jul 2017 17:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30978

Hi Mark, yes fully nailed up with solder,the key is a long thing that goes down the funnel. this particular hull is made from go system gas cans (empty of course) but if any tins do have any form of coating I leave it on and paint over it. the only bit that needs to be sanded is the bit you are soft soldering. Theres a construction bit on my site www.mclarenclockworksubmarines.com
cheers Neil

marky
(Commander)

5th Jul 2017 19:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30983

Hi Neil , thanks for the reply will have a look at your build site ,I put some pictures up of my soldering bolts(irons)in the post bargain of the day old school stuff you probably work higher tech ,Cheers Mark

marky
(Commander)

5th Jul 2017 21:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30988

Hi Neil,loved the web site some really cool stuff really liked the copper subs .

mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jul 2017 21:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30989

Hi mark lordy that is old school! Ive not used irons like that since the seventies! all I use now are the cheapo propane pencil torches off ebay they are so much easier and more accurate and dont need kilowatts of heat. The Go System stuff is brill and available from BnQ youd probably get quite a few quid weighing in all that copper!
cheers Neil

EAGLE
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 41
6th Jul 2017 15:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31002

Hi Mark
The good thing about the old heavy irons, is they keep there heat, so on a long joint, you get a good clean finish.
Regards Dave

marky
(Commander)

6th Jul 2017 16:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31008

The ones in the picture are a 12oz ,8oz and 4oz I was looking for the heavier ones I have a 4lb hatchet bolt(iron) when I dig it out I will post a picture ,

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 593
6th Jul 2017 20:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31018

A 4lb hatchet !!! Just the job for the yagi antennas on my 1:72 destroyer!!
😉

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
marky
(Commander)

6th Jul 2017 23:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31020

Doug its really good for that small tight corner that's hard to reach could post it to you for a loan but it might pull your postmans arm out its socket plus the postage would bankrupt me

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jul 2017 06:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31022

It's the thought that counts!! 👍😉😁

BOATSHED
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 52
7th Jul 2017 10:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31029

I have been into model boating since I was 9 (1959) ans still enjoy it. I moved up to Heywood in 1991 and lived there for 2 years and as I had nowhere to do things there and take model boats to use them, I left them down in my Greenwich flat. used to see people fishing in Queens Park so I thought I cannot use a model boat on there. So I went there fishing instead and also went out to Pilsbury and fished there. I was living in a house in Wild Street Heywood with my Ex wife. (yes EX). We were just getting back together. I only wish I had known there was a model boat club that I could have gone to. I had seen there was a pond/lake in the grounds of Mutual Mill as this was just at the end of Wild Street. I once asked a man at the gates of Mutual is I was allowed to fish in there and he said no it's private. I have since seen in the angling papers where they have had fishing days there. And also since joining this site I have seen it is also used for model boating. OH what a bummer, that was 2 years of using my model boats wasted 😭. We eventually moved down to Greenwich and she now rents the Heywood house out. And I go using my model boats down here now and also use them in the boatyard in Potter Heigham when we go up to Norfolk to my river boat up there.😊

BOATSHED
Midlife306
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 89
10th Jul 2017 16:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31119

Spotted in my local TK Max today, cig packet for scale🤔
Cheers
Wayne

mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Jul 2017 18:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31121

Crumbs!!! if TK Max is knocking them out im going back to stamp collecting!
cheers Neil

mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

9th Aug 2017 20:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31894

U37 Just finished www.mclarenclockworksubmarines.com
I prefer this to putting stuff in the light green bin.
22" tinplate clockwork submarine fully functional diving and resurfacing.
cheers Neil

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Aug 2017 21:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31899

WoW!! What you might call 'Far scale' but who cares? Magnificent work👍👍👍 More power to your soldering iron, or gas torch, whatever😉
Please don't sink my destroyer with your 'Wolfsrudel' 😲
Cheers Doug 😎

marky
(Commander)

9th Aug 2017 21:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31902

can only reiterate Doug other brilliant piece of tin craftsmanship ,key down the periscope this time ?,could be a competition guess where the key goes .

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Aug 2017 21:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31905

Be nice to see the 'workings' sometime, but I understand they are Sealed For Life! 🤔

mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

9th Aug 2017 21:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31906

No probs, its only a basic single ballast tank and motor setup some of my other stuff ends up looking like the engine room of a type 21. theres lots more detail on my site but heres a few internals of different boats ive done.
cheers Neil

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Aug 2017 23:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31909

Brrrrrrrrilliant! 👍👍👍 Best 'tin bashing' I've ever seen.
Would love to see video of them in action 😉
Type 21!? Navy or industry?
I've seen the insides of many ships, from Colossus class carrier to Type 45, but never the 21. Keep up the good work. Cheers Doug 😎

mactin
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Aug 2017 07:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31917

Thanks Doug much appreciated, Ex stoker from back in the day, Marg Thatcher was on the throne so thats an inkling of timescale.From Y100s to cogog then flukes, however my skimming canoe of choice was type22, HMS Brilliant to be precise clipper bow and concord engines! cracking ride. shes still at it I believe in Brazil. Es nostra Vocamus , "Leave gets up our noses" . Cheers Neil.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2017 09:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31923

Aha! An 'oil shoveller' 😉
Yep, I saw Brilliant (then renamed F47 Dodsworth) in Rio, Arsenal do Marinha Ilha das Cobras, several times. We fitted a new VHF/UHF comms system to her.
Afraid she was scrapped in Turkey 2012. 🤔
Cheers to another 'Old Sea Dog', Doug 😎
PS Re Maggie's reign, during the Falklands business I was on a business trip to Scotland, remember seeing reports of the Vulcan attack on TV in a bar in Oban!