Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2017: 11 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (5)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > What Gun?
What Gun?
(996 views)
cormorant
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 163
15th Jul 2017 14:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31221

Does anyone know what make of gun this may be?
I'm after a 1/24 scale version for my latest project. I have scoured the web with no success so will have to scratch build the turret but an already made barrel would be a good start.
I have been led to believe that it is either a 40mm or 76.2mm Bofors, but have also been told that if it is 76mm, Bofors don't make one and it could be an Italian job.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 836
15th Jul 2017 14:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31223

Hi Cormorant, 'Italian job' 76mm would mean Oto Melara. And this is like no OM gun I ever saw on board in 30 years working with navies and shipyards around the world.
Looks more east block to me. Probably Russian or Chinese.
What is the origin of the photo? Looks like it could be on a DDR (East German) Patrol Boat probably of Russian design, maybe built by Peenewerft yard in Wolgast.
Cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 118
15th Jul 2017 15:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31224

Hehe, all that info from an obscure photo, Doug will be giving you the phone number of the captains wife next😂

Cheers
Wayne

cormorant
(Admiral)

15th Jul 2017 18:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31228

Hi Doug
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is/was on RSS P72 Sovereignty of the Singapore Navy. The boat is a 110' Vosper fast attack craft and I have a part built 1/24scale Veron model based on it.
The official spec says that some boats were fitted with 40mm Bofors and some with 76.2mm Bofors.
Please see pic of the real boat and a model which is in the Singapore Navy Museum
Steve

cormorant
(Admiral)

15th Jul 2017 22:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31231

Further research suggests that the weapon is a 76/50 Bofors TAK76
Per Jane's, the gun was a private venture by Bofors begun in 1962, and was adapted from a 76mm/50 coast artillery gun, but modified to 3-inch (a very minor change in dimension) "because that ammunition was more commonly used by navies." The ammunition is described as a fixed cartridge weighing 11.3kg, which could mean it's not the US 3-inch/50 round, which apparently weighed 10.9 kg complete (however, I see some variation between sources). Muzzle velocity is 825m/s, nearly identical to the US round (2 m/sec difference).

The turret is fully automated, fed from a motor-driven hoist to a below-deck magazine with 100 rounds. Two loaders move ammo from the magazine to the 5-round feed drum, which in turn feeds the vertical hoist. From there, a transfer arm in the turret moves the rounds to the loading tray and the rounds are then rammed home. RoF is 30 RPM. Traverse was 350º with elevation limits of -10 to +30º. Range was credited as 6.8 nautical miles (12.6 km). The turret is roughly 1.5 m high, with a penetration below decks of 2.9 m. Total mount weight was 6.5 tons. "

Still can't find a 1/24 scale one!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Jul 2017 16:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31246

Sorry Wayne 'Ex Directory' !! 😉

Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Jul 2017 18:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31250

😂👍

Rookysailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
16th Jul 2017 22:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31252

Hi Steve, If you are having problems sourcing or making the gun, try a guy called 'Mike McGuinn Guns', he will have a stand at the Haydock model boat show in August, he carries a lot of different guns, or if he hasn't got the one you require, he will make it for you, a very talented man.

cheers Peter

cormorant
(Admiral)

18th Jul 2017 22:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31296

Thanks Peter.
I can't make the Haydock show so I have emailed him. I await a reply.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jul 2017 03:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31298

Hi Steve, Should have remembered! 🤔
We did a lot of research on that boat!! 😆
Guess you might have to scratch it 😉
Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
21st Jul 2017 23:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31365

Hi Steve,
Been talking with Mike McGuinn and he mentions his website is down at the moment, but if you wish you can contact him on this number: 01204 559525.
Peter.

cormorant
(Admiral)

22nd Jul 2017 18:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31379

Thanks Peter, wondered why I had had no reply. I will give him a ring and all being well I can now make Haydock Park.

Cheers. Steve

cormorant
(Admiral)

10th Aug 2017 22:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31940

I've sent details to Mike - waiting to hear from him, though when we spoke on the phone he was suffering an extremely painful back.
In the meantime I have been making progress though there is still some way to go.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2017 23:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31942

Looking very good 👍👍
Cheers Doug 😎

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 319
11th Aug 2017 01:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31943

Hi Steve,
It's coming along nicely. I like what I see.
Cheers Ed.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1284
11th Aug 2017 09:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31944

Hi Steve
Your FPB is coming along nicely. Mine is still untouched but seeing your progress make me think I should start the refurb.
Looking at the gun and other fittings I do believe the casings could best be fabricated on a 3D printer if you have some drawings and dimensions.
I will be a Haydock and our stand is very near to Mike's gun stand so hope to see you when you visit.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Admiral)

11th Aug 2017 15:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31958

Hi Dave

I've just put the phone down from Mike and he is having trouble finding a suitable mould. He's tried bedknobs and is off to B&Q later to see what else he can find.
The only dimension I know is the height - approx 1.5m and I have no drawings, only pictures. I don't know much about 3D printing but I'm assuming you won't have enough to go on.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing you again at Haydock.
Steve

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1284
11th Aug 2017 15:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31959

Hi Steve
Looking at the pics it occured to me that the bottom shape is a tube covered by a dome at the top. Both relatively easy to make with a 3D printer and I noticed there was a large radar dome that was also spherical.
Mike works with plastic so I guess he is intending to vac form. I have one of his guns on my steam picket boat and its very authentic.
Looking forward to Haydock
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
onetenor
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 143
17th Sep 2017 16:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33302

Half a rubber / plastic ball could mould the hemisphere using fibreglass or glass cloth and resin.Either inside or out. Out for a mould to make the finished article. Inside for the finished article. The barrel from successive gauges of brass and / or ali tubing to give the stepped effect . Regards John 😋👍

Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Sep 2017 18:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33411

Hi, I can 3D print a dome as per the attached photo any size & strength you want, it can be a solid lump or hollow, your call, all I need to know is what outside diameter you want it to be.
Cheers
Wayne