Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Stabilit Express
Stabilit Express
(631 views)
Midlife306
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 104
25th Jul 2017 22:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31451

Why is this stuff sooo expensive?
I bought an unmade Robbe kit & the instructions say to only use Stabilit Express, as I was worried about deforming the hull using anything else I bit the bullet & bought some from Germany £22......
What's special about it?
Cheers
Wayne

Attached Files - Click To View Large

marky
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 90
25th Jul 2017 23:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31453

maybe the companies have a tie up, it appears to just be a 2 part apoxy

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1242
26th Jul 2017 10:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31460

Hi Wayne
This was always the best way to glue the Robbe range of fuselages when I used to build and fly model planes. It is specially formulated for the type of plastic used by Robbe and others. Used correctly it is hard to fault. It has a unique smell not dissimilar to some of the stuff my dentist uses when filling my cavities!
The good news is an equivalent is available from The Model Shop Leeds
http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_resu...
Cost is less than a tenner and it is as good as the Stabilit Express.
It's a solvent type glue and gives the strongest joints. This is a tube of resin plus a small tub of powder but check as there are similar UHU products with two tubes which may not be the same.
For the strongest joints it's hard to beat and I never had a failed joint in all my years of flying.
Hope this helps
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Midlife306
(Admiral)

26th Jul 2017 11:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31463

Thanks for the info Dave, it's only money but well spent I think👍
Cheers
Wayne

glyn44
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 10
29th Jul 2017 14:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31557

Tip: It's a nightmare to remove the excess, especially if you let it harden first. Be very careful where it goes.
Have fun, Glyn.

Let's sail in calm waters
Midlife306
(Admiral)

29th Jul 2017 21:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31568

Doh! Now you tell me haha😂
I've just used it to attach the doublers to the inside of the transom, so luckily it's out of the way. I'll have to be really careful when I glue in the motor mount though.
Thanks
Wayne

Midlife306
(Admiral)

29th Jul 2017 22:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31569

It's a proper manky colour too👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 629
29th Jul 2017 22:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31570

But it'll hold a brick ****house together 😉
How's the K7 getting on?
Cheers Doug😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1242
29th Jul 2017 23:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31571

Hi Wayne
You must be a rich man if you are mixing that much. Unlike other resins Stabilit attaches its-self into the surfaces being joined so any round the edges is un-necessary and should be wiped away with a wet rag. Once fully set it can be machines or Dremeled away.
Doug is so right about a correctly made joint and I do hope you never ever need to remove the doublers.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Midlife306
(Admiral)

29th Jul 2017 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31572

I think those doublers will need explosives to get them off...
I've hit a bit of a roadblock with the big K7, I need to get Donald built up so I can position the steering wheel & dash correctly, the animatronic resin upper torso & arms I bought came with no instructions or info on what servos to use. I got some micro servos & they didn't fit, Dremel out & all fits now but I'm now struggling with connecting the servo arm to the rotating neck. I'll suss it out eventually but I need a rest.
I've been doing bits on my 1/12 scale K7 in the background, if all goes well it should be ready for paint in a couple of weeks.
As normal I've been waiting for parts to arrive from China, the brushless motor & esc arrived today for the blue rigger, I can make a start on that soon..
I've just finished printing the parts for the cabin for a Springer tug hull I got from Sonar & I've just started printing the first parts of a WW2 landing craft, its 1/16 scale nearly a metre long, I guess I'll be making a tank for it when it's completed.
Then there's the Robbe Diabolo, on the instructions it says to use self tapping screws to hold the plastic dual rudders in place. No good to me as I've upgraded to dual aluminium rudders, these buggers need bolts!
Trouble is the waterproof electronics box is used as a doubler for the central transom, when it's glued into place there isn't any room to access where the rudder bolts come through the doublers, ohhh the joy of problem solving....
So I'm keeping busy but my butter is spread a bit too thin.
Cheers
Wayne

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Jul 2017 00:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31573

I was thinking of a few drops of nitroglycerine myself 😉
Busy busy busy😋
Any chance of a trial of the K7 itself before Donald (Quack quack) is finished?
Any pics of the LC?? A swimming Sherman on board?? One of the 'Follies' that worked, at least on the British beaches, the Americans at Omaha had less luck with them🤔
Re the Diabolo: they must have had a reason for specifying self tappers, now you've found it 😉 Hope you didn't glue the E-box in with Stab Express 😡
Re China: some bits arrive amazingly fast, some never 😭
For me it was only a €3 part on a bigger Amazon order so after 1 unanswered Email I let it go - life's too short. Struck 'em off my Preferred supplier list!
Happy buttering, cheers Doug 😎
BTW: for users of Robbe kits and bits Krick has taken over their whole marine range, marketed as RoMarin. In Germany delivery is usually the day after ordering😊 Today my new Raboesch brass props for Belfast, Graf Spee and Sea Scout as well as Ezekote and some other bits & pieces ordered from Krick only yesterday arrived by DHL, 5 stars for service 😊 No excuse now 🤔
http://www.krickshop.de/

Midlife306
(Admiral)

30th Jul 2017 02:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31574

It's a LCM3 made wider so a 1/16 Tiger tank will fit, why not I say😂
I'm sure someone will have something to say if it has a Tiger on board..
Cheers
Wayne

marky
(Commander)

30th Jul 2017 17:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31586

they used to say that you got better milage with a tiger in your tank ,theres one for the children of the 60s

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Jul 2017 21:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31587

Or the children of the 50s - teenagers of the 60s - like me 😉

marky
(Commander)

30th Jul 2017 22:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31589

my dad had a tigers tail hanging from his rear veiw mirror of his rover 100 i think you got so many points for each gallon of petrol ,he had the tail for so long it was sun bleached until it was an albino not an easy thing to do in sunny Scotland

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Jul 2017 23:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31590

I had one on my Rover 2000, hanging out of the tank filler 😁
Started with one on my Vespa GS 160 😉

marky
(Commander)

31st Jul 2017 13:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31594

Hi Doug,
this is going off in a tangent but I bet you also had the built holes that could be stuck to your window ,not sure which petrol company they were from but it was something to do with the untouchables

kevinsharpe
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
1st Aug 2017 07:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31617

Hi Wayne

I have used this bonding agent and yes it is expensive. This glue is in a technically superior league to mist products out there. I understand that it is an acrylic glue. I have even used it to bond a nod laminate metals very effectively. It is also very effective when bonding to plastics. Yes it is expensive but it is an excellent glue which out performs anything else I have used.

Regards
Kevin