Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 2 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 19 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (9)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > RAF rescue launch shape
RAF rescue launch shape
(615 views)
Gravedigger47
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 3
25th Sep 2017 13:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33578

Ezeebild RAF rescue boat.
I need to know if a 20" model is increased by 50% what scale would it be 1/16 or 1/18 scale
Mick aka Gravedigger47

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1121
25th Sep 2017 16:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33593

Which version of the HSL is the plan supposed to represent?
63, 64, 67, 68, 73, or even 115 feet - Fairmile version!
Without knowing that we don't know what the original scale is before enlargement.
Basically: if you enlarge the model by 50% (i.e x 3/2) the final scale will be 2/3 of the original scale. E.g. if the original scale is 1:30 expanding by 50% would give a scale of 1:20.
Happy enlarging, Cheers Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2017 18:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33594

PS: for all 'Eezebilt' fans!
http://www.model-plans.co.uk/ernie%20webster.html

happy wallowing in nostalgia, Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2017 18:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33595

More nostalgia!
Ad from 1957, including the Taycol Target that I recently converted to forward and reverse operation.
24 shillings and 8 pence PLUS 4 shillings and 11 pence Purchase Tax!!! A small fortune!🤔
😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 173
25th Sep 2017 19:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33597

Hi Mick,according to the Keil Kraft link Doug posted earlier the original was approximately 1:24 which would make your version approximately 1:16 if my maths are right . Cheers Marky

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2017 20:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33599

Hi Marky, don't know where you saw that (Eagle Eye😉) but IF correct then so is your maths👍
BUT: if correct then 20" x 24 = 480" or 40 feet??
Pretty small rescue launch! 😲
Then again; wadda I know?
Taking 68feet as an average of the various HSL versions (excluding the Fairmile) 68x12=816, 816/20=40.8 scale. Therefore at 30" the scale would be ~27:1.

Cheers Doug😎

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 29
25th Sep 2017 20:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33602

Is it a HSL or Seaplane Tender as that would be much smaller? I seek ST 480 which operated out of Lyme Regis during 1941

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2017 22:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33609

Hi Selwyn, since he wrote 'Rescue Boat' I assumed it must be an HSL!
This is all I can find on ST480. Apparently a 40 footer MK1.
Cheers Doug 😎

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

25th Sep 2017 22:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33611

Brilliant many thanks RN. This ST 480 saved the pilot of a Curtiss P40 Tomahawk that crashed in the sea off Chesil Beach on 8th November 1941 and I found the wreck of it in 1980. He died a month later shot down over the coast of France. I got details of him from his family this year and now you give me a photo of the boat when I have searched online without success. You have made my day.

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

25th Sep 2017 23:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33612

P40 flying and wreck upside down showing centre line of fuselage and oleo and wheel. It was broken off after the wing.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2017 23:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33613

Hi Selwyn, glad to have helped. Can understand your personal interest, tragic story, like so many at that time.
Did you set out to find the plane or just 'stumble' over it?
If you pass the photo on to the family give them my regards and best wishes as well.
Cheers Doug 😎
PS The Tomahawk looks a bit like a cross between a Typhoon and a Hurricane MK1 !!

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

25th Sep 2017 23:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33614

Found it by accident and yes it does look a cross between Hurricane and Typhoon.

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

25th Sep 2017 23:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33615

so how come you found the photo and I couldn't :)

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Sep 2017 23:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33616

Hi Mick and Mark, (Sorry but that sounds like a comedy duo😉)
Apparently before the intervention of Scott-Paine (of Supermarine / Schneider Trophy fame and founder of British Power Boat company), and T.E. Lawrence (of Lawrence of Arabia fame!) who designed and developed the first HSLs, these little 40 foot STs had a secondary role as emergency boats. Even though they were not very fast, ca 20 knots max.
Lawrence witnessed a seaplane crash in the Solent while serving as an Aircraftman at the RAF Seaplane base. He saw how the ST took so long to reach the plane that it sank before they got there and several crew members drowned. He started lobbying his RAF Commanders to obtain faster launches as dedicated rescue boats. When Scott-Paine also proposed fast rescue launches the RAF suggested Lawrence as co developer and tester. Sadly Lawrence did not live to see the final version, having died in a motorbike crash in 1936.
You live and learn! Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 00:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33617

Hi Selwyn, no idea! Sheer luck or more practise? 😉
Took a little while, but when I get curious .....
Anyway, very glad I did and that it fits the bill.
All the best Doug 😎

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

26th Sep 2017 00:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33618

That is what I heard re Scott Paine and Lawrence many thanks again for the info RN

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

26th Sep 2017 00:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33619

Engine test of a P40

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 173
26th Sep 2017 00:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33620

Hi Doug , I think your right i re-read the Keil Kraft link and it was the smaller eezebuilds that were 1:24 the boat i got enlarged for Mick was the RAF fire tender so probably the 63ft version ,probably right about the comedy double act ,the chuckle brothers only more chuckle than brothers . Cheers Marky👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 08:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33622

Hi Selwyn, unfortunately you can only upload picture files (jpeg etc) to this site. For video clips we have to make detour via YouTube 🤔 Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 09:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33624

Hi Mark, if you are right with 63ft and the original model was 20" that's scale of ~1:37. At 30" scale is then ~1:25.
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 09:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33625

Hi All, surprisingly (to me anyway) there is a cross-link here to the Elco PT boats!
Apparently Scott-Paine took his 70ft PT9 HSL/PTB design to America looking for cooperation with Packard for engines and extra production facilities. This was the birth of the Elco PT Boat series! We all think of them as American, but the design was British 👍😉

From Scott-Paine's biography-
"PT boats
(First Pic shows Elco 70-foot (21 m) PT boat PT-10 in 1941)

In 1939 agreement was reached with the American Electric Launch Company (Elco) to purchase a British Power Boat 70-footer (later named PT9), as a template for American production under licence. PT9 (second pic 1940) was taken by the US President Roosevelt to Elco’s works at New London, Connecticut. On 3 October Scott-Paine met President Roosevelt and senior Elco representatives at the White House to authorize the creation of a new naval arm, the PT Boat Squadrons. (PT boat was short for Patrol Torpedo boat). Production started at a new Elco factory at Bayonne, New Jersey in January 1940.

The Canadian Power Boat Company was set up by Scott-Paine in 1940. This produced 39 boats, mainly MTBs.

After the passing of Lend-Lease in 1941 comparative trials, nicknamed the Plywood Derbys, were held between rival American boatbuilders, Elco winning both. Elco went on to produce 754 70-, 77-, and 80-foot (24 m) PT boats, including Jack Kennedy’s PT109 as well as the boat that rescued General Douglas MacArthur from Corregidor.
Later years
In December 1944, Scott-Paine received a cheque for $200,000 with an accompanying letter of appreciation for his contributions made to the development of the PT boat from Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal. The money was from Elco and was brokered by legal teams, releasing Elco from any and all further liabilities concerning the license rights."

Well! Did you ever !!😉
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 10:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33629

Hi Selwyn, would you believe I committed the researchers 'cardinal sin' yesterday and forgot to bookmark where I found ST480🤔 Well, it was late!
Anyway, found it again today, here's the link-
http://www.rafboats.co.uk/gallery/480/
Cheers Doug 😎

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

26th Sep 2017 10:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33631

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoR-NArifU I presume this link to You Tube will show the P40 Tomahawk successfully

SelwynWilliams
(Lieutenant)

26th Sep 2017 10:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33632

Hi Doug, thanks for that. That photo of ST 480 shows her off Lyme Regis which is where she was stationed in 1941 and was being used as the Range Safety boat for the ranges off Chesil Beach that day when the P40 crashed and they picked up the pilot.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 11:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33633

Hi Selwyn, Brilliant, link is good. 👍 What a gorgeous sound 😉
Nice landing, that guy can fly!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 11:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33634

Re other RAF boats - for info and lots of pics on all classes of boats used by the RAF click here-
http://www.rafboats.co.uk/
Guess the 'old sea dogs' already know this but many newbies perhaps not 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Sep 2017 14:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33642

Going back to the original question!!
Basic formula for scaling, up or down, to make it easier for awkward numbers (i.e. not simple fractions) is-
Given
S1 is original scale,
F is scaling factor,
S2 is new scale,
Then S2=S1x1/F
From example above; S1=37, F=1.5.
Gives S2=37/1.5 =24.66r. QED.
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Sep 2017 12:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33819

Hi Selwyn, apropos Curtis Tomahawk - check this out new from Airfix 😉
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/curtis-tomahawk-mk-iib-1-72.htm...
Cheers Doug 😎