Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 2 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 19 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Brixham trawler IBEX
Brixham trawler IBEX
(275 views)
bellman1942
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 10
11th Oct 2017 10:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34363

I`m building a Brixham trawler IBEX
Anyone know how much ballast is needed for a scratch built hull would it be wise to use a bulb on a fin or along lead keel

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1121
11th Oct 2017 10:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34366

Hi bellman, (from Doug BELL😉)
This is another 'How long is a piece of string question'!
Only way to find out is to build it, and do a payload test.
Put weight in it until it floats to the waterline and upright and stable.
I use chunks of lead and lead balls (fishing weights).
Weigh the lead. Easiest way is to weigh the empty hull first, then again with 'payload'. Difference is your payload weight for the hull, including all equipment, decks, superstructure etc.
Before you glue any other parts to the hull weigh them and subtract from the payload test weight as you go.
When compete you should then know how much weight you have left available for equipment.
Weigh the equipment; motors, shafts, electronics, batteries etc.
Anything 'left over' is the ballast you need.
Try to fit it inside as low as possible, the lead balls are good for final trimming. When all is correct simply pour a little resin over them to hold them in place.
Only time I fitted ballast outside, a long steel bar keel, was on my U26 sub. But then U Boats had such an emergency 'drop keel' so it looked 'Right'! Happy building, Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cenbeth
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 167
11th Oct 2017 10:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34367

Hi

With my sailing pilot cutter Cariad, when the hull was largely complete I put her in the bath an put weights in until the waterline was reached. I then weighed the weights. I then tried to make the bulb keel slightly lighter to allow for trimming.

I would make provision for the bulb keel at an early stage of construction. I didn't do this and it was a right pain!

Good luck

Edward

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2017 10:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34369

Hi, found some interesting info on this boat, including hi res pics of the building of a model. Sample attached.
http://www.modelships.de/Trawler-IBEX/Trawler-IBEX_eng.htm
😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2017 10:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34370

Here a video of such a model sailing-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXfI2qIL5Ew
Lovely boat 👍

bellman1942
(Chief Petty Officer)

11th Oct 2017 14:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34378

Many thanks all still wonder if fin and bulb is better than internal ballast🤔

cenbeth
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 167
11th Oct 2017 15:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34379

A detachable bulb keel will result in a more stable sailing experience. The further away the weight is from the centre of buoyancy the better.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2017 15:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34380

Maybe bellman, but wouldn't it look a bit daft? 🤔
Hide it under yer raincoat 'til it's in the water 😉
Happy building, and even Happier sailing👍

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 183
16th Oct 2017 13:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34552

A Brixham trawler with a bulb and fin keel would look rather odd though wouldn't it ?👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 14:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34556

Exactly my thought! 😲
There must be a better way to ballast it.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1427
16th Oct 2017 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34557

Hi Bellman
My Club sail several similar boats as well as an Ibex. They are all fitted with detachable keels which are fitted prior to sailing but can be removed for transportation and display.
Our sailing waters are large and exposed and without the keels the models would not be able to be sailed. On the water the keels can not be seen.

I tried a long keel on my Cariad and it was not a success as the keel tended to keep the model in a straight line. I now use a detachable bulb keel.

The amount of lead will depend on your model and its overall weight. The bulb keels are a fibreglass moulding that we fill with lead to bring the model to waterline after inserting fore and aft threaded rod into the bulb. You will need to have holes in the keel to let the rods thro and long enough to be above the waterline. I fit a plastic tube and wood support inside. A washer and nut hold the keel in place. Before filling with Resin weigh the resin in the tin and remove that amount of lead from the bulb. Once set I use silicon to make a good seal between the bulb and hull and which remains attached to the bulb.
Attached are pics of my Cariad.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
bellman1942
(Chief Petty Officer)

26th Oct 2017 08:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35004

Many thanks everyonefor the various advice I`ve decided on a bulb fin keel, when requesting advice on keel weight I should have mentioned the hull is 42in lg this was an oversight😋, I`m now drg.shadows from the plan quite a laborious task but interesting.
bellman