Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2017: 12 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 22 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > 1/35 Vosper MTB
1/35 Vosper MTB
(301 views)
Grandpa
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 47
25th Oct 2017 04:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34942

I was given this kit to build with my grandsons. Static or conversion? If conversion, could it be done with one prop instead of three? Direct drive or geared?

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Tica
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 3
25th Oct 2017 08:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34943

I would go for a single Brushless solution 1200-1500KV with a 2S LiPo battery, this will help on the amount of weight you have to add to the model.

Grandpa
(Captain)

25th Oct 2017 13:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34958

All of my motors are brushed alonag with NiMh batteries and chargers. My preference is to use brushed though I am aware that brushless motors take less space as do the batteries. If someone could provide clarity for RC conversion using the single brushed motor, I’d appreciate hearing from you.

Tica
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 3
26th Oct 2017 06:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35003

Well I'm sorry that I'd spend time to suggest that you could use high explosives in your boat

reilly4
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 14
26th Oct 2017 09:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35010

Hi Tica,
From the question posed it was a sensible proposal. Please don't give up on offering help.
I was not aware that RC gear needed to be set up for brushed motors or otherwise. I use mine for both brushed and brushless applications and I also have electronic ESCs as well as the old variable resistor types.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1087
26th Oct 2017 10:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35017

Buy quality LiPos, not no-name cheapos, and follow the rules and they are no problem. The great advantages are higher endurance and lower weight😊 Shame to run an MTB on only one screw🤔 At least two should be fitted or it just won't look RIGHT!
I recently bought Basilsdad's 28" Elco PT Boat. It came fitted with 2 x 28er brushless and he said it was "too fast for me"! I am refitting it as Kennedy's PT109 and will retain the two brushless and fit a LiPo as far aft as possible to help with getting the hull on the plane.

@ Reilly; I think that was ironic humour from Tica 👍 and I hope he continues to offer advice from his experience.
Cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1402
26th Oct 2017 16:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35030

Doug
This is a project being built with his grandson.
It is perfectly feasible to run with just one engine and use brushed motors and NiMh batteries.
Direct drive would work fine.
Only a small boat so installation need to be kept light.
I do believe when someone asks a question and states a preference it is more helpful to suggest how they can achieve their goal.
Your suggestion about LiPos and brushless miss the point completely.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Grandpa
(Captain)

26th Oct 2017 22:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35047

Thanks for ALL your replies. I enjoy reading your suggestions and will take them under advisement as this project goes forward. I have three grandsons 7,5,2 so am not sure when the project will get underway. My first grandson asked me to build a Battleship, and finding the Revell 1/350 USS Missouri recently for $40 CDN this kit maybe built before the Vosper.

See: bmpt.org.uk then "select a boat here" pick "MTB-71"
Does anyone know "Clive Hampton" seen on page 2 along with Peter Baillie ?

Has anyone built a 1/350 USS Missouri and motorized it?