Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (21)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > HMS HOOD by Trumpeter
HMS HOOD by Trumpeter
(6819 views)
cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 227
19th Feb 2018 08:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38870

Getting fed up with struggling to the pond with my 54" fast attack craft, I visited Dean's Marine last Saturday with a view to getting a smaller warship kit, to make life easier.
I had a conducted tour of the showroom by Ron and had almost decided on HMS Daring, at a mere 36" long, when he said that there were more kits in the shop, which I might like to see.
And what did I come away with? - yes, 54" of the 1/200 scale HMS Hood. http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter2...
I blame my mate, Octman (aka Chris), for allowing such an act of folly!
I hope I have not bored you with my tale of woe, but for those who are still with me, my question relates to the fine detailing kits available.
Some of them cost almost as much as the original kit, but my main objective is to have a wooden deck.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a good quality deck on its own?
I am also looking for 1/200 figures for the crew.

Thank you

Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
19th Feb 2018 09:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38872

Hi Steve, you could start here -
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU03710
They have a good selection of upgrade kits, including the wooden deck.
Be prepared to lash out about £160 quid!! 😡
For the crew you could start here-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/1-200-figures
Happy hunting👍
I have the 1/350 version to convert, big enough for me at 30" 😉
and scale matches my Titanic, Bismarck, Ark Royal, USS Enterprise (The BIG E), Prince of Wales, HMS Daring (T45) and Illustrious (Ski ramp version).
Cheers Doug 😎
PS Eduard do a 1:200 set of RN crew, ready painted 😉
PPS Model Dockyard list a deck only set for about 37 quid, BUT currently Out of Stock🤔
https://www.model-dockyard.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=hms%20...

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 458
19th Feb 2018 11:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38874

Hi Steve,

I know your going to have a good time putting her together.
Don't forget to document it with pictures.
And a video give or take 1 to 2 yrs from know!

Ed

PS.
If I get another boat.
I think the wife will kick me out!
I showed her a picture of the HMS HOOD.
she loved it until I asked won't to get one!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 551
19th Feb 2018 11:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38875

HI Steve, one of my club mates has built the kit with some of the up-grades, looks superb and sails just as well. Not a silly weight either, he is disabled and handels it very easily.
The only problem perse, the length of the hull means he has to drop his rear seats to get the beast in.

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 111
19th Feb 2018 13:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38877

Innocent until proven guilty! Size isn't everything, but in this case perhaps it was!
I wasn't really paying attention, I was just absorbed looking around. I thought you were still on plan A until I saw you walking out with plan C.
Chris

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Feb 2018 13:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38878

Methinks he protests too much?

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Feb 2018 13:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38879

Thanks for the help Doug. The £160 set looks attractive but it seems to duplicate some of the photetch (eg, railings and funnel detail) in the original kit, do you know if this is the case?
Also, have you any experience with the crew figures. Can you make the three dimensional when folded?
Thanks.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Feb 2018 14:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38884

Hi Steve, I was afraid of that with the 160 quid set, but I can't say for sure as I only have the 1/350 version so I don't know yours in detail.
Ask Model Dockyard for an idea of delivery time and if they can order it.
Will take you a while to get to that stage anyway 😉
You can check out the Eduard sets here-
https://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/?stoken=429DC2EE&force_s...
Site is safe; I checked it out at McAffee Labs / Web Advisor😉
I have also often ordered stuff from Czech shops, deck gun kit and crew for my U25 for instance, never had problems.👍
Attached are the instructions for the RN figures. They are relatively big, compared to the 1/600 and 1/350 that I use! So I reckon if you carefully rub the insides against a rubber cutting pad with something like the end of a small paintbrush handle you should be able to give them some 3D form.
Have fun, and don't forget to hoover the floor BEFORE you start!!!! 🤔
At least one of my 1/600 quad Vickers machine gun mounts + parts have vanished into the workshop nirvana after a few hours fiddling 😡
Cheers Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Feb 2018 15:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38888

"Methinks he protests too much?"

Act III, scene II methinks ?

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark." 😉

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Feb 2018 16:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38891

Alas poor Yorick....

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Feb 2018 16:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/38893

" I knew him Horatio!" 🤔

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Mar 2018 17:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39388

Hi Doug
My two objectives for the detailing kit would be the main armament (metal barrels etc) but most importantly, a wooden deck.
Do you know when the deck is fitted, before, during or after construction of the boat?

Cheers

Steve

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Mar 2018 19:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39389

Hi Steve, the guy from my club who built one did the deck before the hull was joined, then trimmed it for best fit, the the superstructure to allow access to the internals.

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Mar 2018 21:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39395

Evenin' Steve,
Haven't checked the 'destructions' yet ('Hood' is still on the Stash shelf with Ark Royal, Bluebell 1:72, Bismarck and USS Enterprise) but my inclination would be to first build the base superstructure and DRY fit with the plastic deck and then the wood deck to see where trimming and jiggling is or is not necessary. Same for the upper decks where wood is available. Agree also with Mark's mate, seems logical to me too.
I would also look at fitting coamings, to keep the wet stuff at bay, while dry fitting main decks and base superstructure.
Keep us posted👍 Cheers Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 09:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39411

Does anyone know, if and where I can purchase just the wooden deck?
The closest I have got so far is one from Australia by Artwox. Trouble is the shipping costs an arm and a leg.

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 10:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39417

Hi Steve, there are a few updates for the Trumpeter models, try the IPMS website for more info

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 12:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39429

Hi Steve, you could try here in UK! Maybe they can order one for you.
https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/1-200-wooden-...
Cheers Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 13:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39431

GOT ONE!! 😊 in Italy for €85.
https://www.regiamarinamas.net/id171.htm

Buy now while stocks last! 😉

cheers Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 20:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39447

I have just found one - and ordered it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-200-HOOD-Wooden-Deck-for-Trumpe...
From the pictures it looks good - and I'm protected by ebay and PayPal if the wheel comes off. The vendor has even thrown in pre-blacked anchor chain as a 'free' gift.
Watch this space.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39449

Hi Steve,

That all wood deck is going to make your model's details really stand out!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Mar 2018 21:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39450

That's brill Steve 👍 Can't wait to see it fitted. Cheers Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 104
9th Mar 2018 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39698

Hi Steve
Many thanks for posting the ebay details for the HMS Hood wooden deck, have just ordered one myself, last one available they state. Totally agree with you, great price and looks good too, have also got the Bismark, had it for months now,but very little time to start it yet, got the deck from Australia, but cost more than this one.
Please inform us when you get your deck, will do the same.
Peter.

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Mar 2018 09:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40021

The deck has arrived and two days before the due delivery date!
It was boxed and well packaged to avoid damage in transit and came complete with two lengths of the promised (free gift) anchor chain.
Fitting will be a steep learning curve as this is my first one, but there is plenty of help on youtube.
In fact, should it need any treatment, my wife has found some helpful hints and tips here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmeoYKYctw.
I will keep you posted.
Steve

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Mar 2018 18:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40096

Just fitted my first section of deck. It is very accurately cut and the sections come away from the main panel very easily. It sticks to the plastic deck well.
All in all, very pleased, considering the price.
Peter, you should have received yours by now?

Steve

Rookysailor
(Commander)

18th Mar 2018 22:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40109

Not received yet Steve, but had an email telling me it's on it's way along with tracking details. Looking forward to getting it though, yours looks brilliant, is the adhesive very sticky, or can you position it before making permanent ?
Peter

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Mar 2018 23:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40111

Hi Peter.
That’s one thing you have to be careful of. Very difficult if not impossible to reposition.
Dry fit first then peel back the backing as you go so you don’t expose too much sticky. If you get the first few cm lined up the rest will follow.
Best of luck.
Steve
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Mar 2018 23:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40112

Hi Steve, Great! Worth all the searching, waiting and effort 👍
A word to the wise! Don't rely completely on the self-sticky back!
I made the experience with my Graf Spee that it tends to lift at the edges, and always in the most awkward places to get to 😤 - Thanks 'Murphy'!
Recommend gluing round the edges with a medium thick gluper-sue!!
Or sealing with a thin type if already fixed on!

For my Flower Class, PoW and Bismarck & Co I shall stain the wood decks with Jotica Oak and then seal with Lord Nelson Sanding Sealer, as I also used on my Sea Scout. Followed by Lord Nelson spray satin varnish. BEFORE I fit it to the ship!!
I am also going to refurb the decks of my Belfast cruiser and Graf Spee the same way.
Keep on blogging, cheers Doug 😎
BTW: loved the antipodean 'deck' care instruction!! 😲😉 Would have loved to have been a 'fly on the wall' when your Missus found it! Can almost imagine the giggles 😁

Rookysailor
(Commander)

18th Mar 2018 23:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40114

Hi Steve, Many thanks for those very informative tips. I mention the sticky problem, only that I have a trumpeter Bismarck, and I attempted to put on the forward deck, I tried to line it up with the first barbette ( I think that's the correct title, maybe wrong spelling), only to find I was off 1mm on the starboard side, tried to lift it, and #=*# it snapped,very fragile.
Just noticed the time, talking boats at nearly midnight
Wierd.....
Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Mar 2018 23:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40115

Hi Peter, my Bismarck is the Revell version, be interesting to compare notes 👍 Barbette is correct, the big 'tub thing' the things that go BANG sit on 😁
5 to 1am here, guess we're all kinda nuts! 😉

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Mar 2018 00:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40116

Doug.
Many thanks for the tip re reinforcing the edges. I noticed they were curling with the backing paper on. I will take your advice and use superglue - I have only fitted one section so far.
We have friends on holiday in New Zealand and the missus found the deck care advert whilst trying to find some 'useful' information about that part of the world, hence the connection. I found part 2 more entertaining, particularly the bit about caulking.
Steve

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Mar 2018 12:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40127

Having sorted the wooden deck, I would now like to have smoke from the funnels (no pleasing some folks you may say!).
I have no experience of smoke generators, but I have just got a Graupner 12v system.
I am hoping it will generate enough so I can just use the one and manifold it - with brass tubing perhaps? - through both funnels.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Steve

Rookysailor
(Commander)

19th Mar 2018 23:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40153

Hi Doug, Is your revell bismarck the 1/350 scale? I have read that it is a very good replica for scale, loads of problems with the 1/200 version, have bought loads of aftermarket PE sets to correct the inacurate bits, just got to find the inner strength to attempt to put them together.
Would be verry interesting..... to compare both kits Yah.
Zum Wohl Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Mar 2018 00:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40154

Servus Peter, yes it is. My Hood is also 1/350 but Trumpeter. Both kits look pretty well detailed but I've also bought some PE, metal props and of course the wood decks.
Also have Titanic, Ark Royal, Prince of Wales and USS Enterprise in the same scale in the stash. I should live so long!
Flat's bustin' at the seams already - no chance for 1/200 versions 😲
Ciao, Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

20th Mar 2018 22:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40188

Greetings Doug, Wow! you do have a collection, and I thought I had plenty, is your enterprise the tamiya one, now, but they seemed to have vanished, what colour paint would you suggest for my Bismarck I bought the Lifecolor German Navy WWII set 1, but not enough paint for the whole ship, Trumpeter quote UA603 Hellgrau DKM 50...but what light grey?🤔

cheers Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Mar 2018 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40190

Hi Peter, 'Hellgrau' is German for light grey. And DKM means Deutsche Kriegs-Marine.
UA603 /DKM50 is in the Set 1 that you have. I also have the Lifecolor Set 1 (Surface Ships) and also the Set 2, Cammo colours, these are for my U-Boat.
Attached is a colour chart of the former White Ensign Colour Coats naval paints, now sold by Sovereign Hobbies in UK. See 'KM01 Hellgrau 50'.
So if the Lifecolor set runs out you can restock from them 😊👍
Happy spraying, cheers Doug 😎
BTW: Re 'Collection'! that was only the half of it😲 I've started an Excel 'Stash Log' to keep track, I should live so long to build them all - I've come to regard some as an investment as many are originals and rare 😉
Did I mention Cambletown, German Narvik destroyer, T45 and Illustrious in 1/350 and a Fletcher class at 1/144, Scharnhorst at 1/400 ?? 😁
NTM the original Revell 1/72 Flower Class, and a whole box load of PE to go with it - much more than is in the later 'Premium' version 😉

Rookysailor
(Commander)

21st Mar 2018 23:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40261

Many thanks Doug for the paint info, I notice there are 2 hellgrau
on their lists, one light grey and one Baltic light grey, would that be the colour in later life of the ship? It's a pity that they are enamel paints, where lifecolour are acrylic, could you suggest the colours for my Bismarck.
many thanks again, Peter👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Mar 2018 23:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40262

Hi Peter, The Bissy was only in the Baltic for running up and training. In Unternehmung Rheinübung, foray into the Atlantic and the Battle in the Iceland Straight (sorry Denmark Straight), she would have had the normal light grey plus possibly camo colours, here, yer pays yer money and ya takes yer choice! 'As built' she would have been all DKM Hellgrau / Silbergrau (Light / Silver grey) #50 (that's the Lifecolor #UA 601) on the slipway. All the docus, vids and photos I have found don't seem to show any significant camo paint!? Only pic I ever found of Bizzy in camouflage paint is of the Graupner Premium model. Can't find any official record of it.
There is some evidence of cammo paint on her sister ship Tirpitz, but it didn't help her, she spent most of her life bottled up in a Norwegian Fjord where she got flattened by Lancs!
Cheers Doug 😎
Re Enamel: Maybe attached charts will help you find an acrylic equivalent😉 I will use the Lifecolor 601for mine.
PS Bismarck had No later life!! One operation, one ship sunk (Hood 😭😭) and that was that! Can heartily recommend the old 1960 Kenneth More film 'Sink The Bismarck' 👍 Stirring stuff Old Chap, stiff upper lip stuff from the days when we still had a real Navy and hadn't swapped our overseas bases for 50 ancient rust bucket WWI destroyers🤔
By the by: during my 32 years working here (in Naval COMMS systems) I was frequently in the Blohm & Voss HQ in Hamburg, saw several superb yard models of their ships including Bismarck, and many photos, but never a one with camouflage.
PPS: as far as i can establish the 'Baltic light grey' was only used on the top sides of smaller U-Boats operating in the relatively shallow Baltic waters. Maybe also a few small combatants such as Schnellboote, Minenjäger etc.

Rookysailor
(Commander)

22nd Mar 2018 22:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40298

Your knowledge is boundless Doug I am sure I'm not on my own when I say you have assisted many modelers on this sight with your instant information, the colour sheets you sent are fantastic.👍
I was in Hamburg in the late sixties, and also visited said yards, still very impressive, and spent some time in Kiel.
cheers Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Mar 2018 23:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40300

Thanks Peter 👍 very glad they were helpful.😊
comes from 40 years 'bumming' around the world talking to ship builders and ship drivers! And building a shrewd idea of where to look when I needed info on a new customer requirement.
Trick was to try and stay at least one step ahead 😉 Now I just do it for fun, and still learning a lot myself - just by seeing what U lot are up to 😁
I first visited Hamburg around 1966 on a school exchange trip.
We played the German kids at footie and beat 'em with the same score as in the World Cup that year! 😊
What took you to B+V? All the best, Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

22nd Mar 2018 23:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40301

You have aquired some great knowledge Doug, most of all you have kept it, well done.
I was in Hamburg 1967 playing with a band at the Top Ten club on the Reeperbahn (learned a lot there), we used to go to a imbis next door to the club, the owner spoke a little english as I at that time spoke very little German. He told us a bit of his life story, he was on the Bismarck on sinking, he was picked up by the british and took to a pow camp near the Cadbury factory in England. He took a few of us to the B&V yard, and gave us a guided tour very interesting, he was call Fritz and he had a phrase he always used when we spoke of the war ' thats the vay de ball bounces', with a very heavy German accent. I spent many years in Germany and loved every minute of it.
warm regards, Peter😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Mar 2018 23:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40302

'66 was my first visit to the Reeperbahn, Veeery interestink!😉
Visited the Star Club where the Beatles played. Was highly amused at how many churches were sprinkled amongst the clubs and 'other houses', sin here - repent next door! German efficiency 😁
Your Imbiss guy was very lucky, not many made it after Dorsetshire was warned off by a U-Boat warning 🤔
I've been here 32 years now, see no particular reason to come home after so long! They say 'Home is where the heart is', and my GF is here!😊
Tschüss und auf wieder hören, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Mar 2018 00:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40304

Sorry for the digression Steve 🤔
Re your smoke generator -
I hope you don't want to lay a smoke screen!
Several years ago I fitted a Graupner smoke genny to my destroyer and hoped to feed both funnels with it. No way! 🤔
According to instructions I fitted it in a 10mm tube (alu) in the forward funnel, with the wick in a 'tank' made from a large aerosol cap, and fed it from the drive battery (12V SLA, 2 x 6V 7AH) via the Gear switch on the TX and a home made decoder / relay switch at the business end.
First: it takes a little while to get 'steam up', second at best it produces whisps of smoke, and white so it looks more like steam. 🤔
Have experimented with 'additives', e.g. graphite, but have not yet achieved real black smoke.
To increase volume when I refit the destroyer I have a second genny for the aft funnel and intend to build 'smoke reservoirs' under the funnel tube and drive it all with a 6v cooling fan from an old PC graphic card.
The 'chimney effect' alone is not enough 🤔
I hope that in this way I can increase the volume so it looks a bit more realistic when 'getting steam up' or on 'Full Ahead Both'!
(Give me all you've got Scotty!)😁
For various other 'mini model' projects, 1/350 Plastic Magic, I have acquired several mini smoke gennys from the model railway (1/87) department - experiments are on the To Do list😉
Cheers Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Mar 2018 04:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40306

Hi Doug. Not very successful then. What about a 6v one in each funnel? They don't need reservoirs and I could charge them with fluid through the top of the funnels using the provided syringe.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Mar 2018 10:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40307

Mornin' Steve, that's exactly what I intend to do, 👍 but with a fan I can switch on/off remotely just to see what happens, or doesn't as the case may be 😉
Bench test of such a system is somewhere in the bottom third of my To do / To Try list. So many ideas - so little time 😲
Whatever, it's fun finding out ain' it?
I've also been wondering about the new generation of oil-less generators, such as
http://www.marksmodelbits.com/

Cheers Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

23rd Mar 2018 18:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40313

Hi Steve, decks still not arrived, have sent an email will see what happens. Doug mention the smoke maker from Marks Model Bits, I have one in a tid tug OK for a 1/32 boat but too big for Hood, the theory is using a nebuliser to agitate the water molecules to make a mist (steam)I now get mine from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New Ultrasonic Mist Maker Fogger Water Fountain Atomizer Air Humidifier 24V.
Hope I got the link correct. It is powered by 24v but you can use a voltage booster to get 24v from 12v, and you could make it fit in the hull with your own design water tank.
cheers Peter

Rookysailor
(Commander)

23rd Mar 2018 19:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40314

Hi Doug, Have just sent a message to steve, and wanted to post a link from a website, can you assist in how do I do it
Danke Peter

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Mar 2018 19:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40317

Hi Doug. Fitted 6v genny into funnel which I can charge using the syringe through the top - therefore, no reservoir required!
Bench test suggested no fan required though picture doesn't do it justice.
I'm quite pleased with the effect so will order another 6v for the second funnel. I propose to switch them on and off with an Rx controlled with from HobbyKing.
Pity that the 'smoke' is not darker in colour - there must be someone out there that has solved the problem?
I've had a look at the link you sent. I see they need 24v and are quite expensive.
I also se that Ed (Figtree7nts) has been in touch re morse 'message'.
Cheers. Steve

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Mar 2018 19:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40318

Hi Peter.
Sorry to hear about the non arrival of your deck. I must say that I am very pleased with the way mine fits and looks - I have done all bar the 'rear deck' and as I said, provided you start off accurately, the rest follows.
Please see the post above which I sent to Doug. I hope I have solved the smoke generator issue.
Regards
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 01:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40326

Hi Steve,
with the 'reservoir' I mentioned I meant a 'smoke reservoir' or a sort of collector, i.e. a wider section of the updraught tube, bulbous or upside-down funnel, to concentrate the smoke and then 'chuff' it out with the fan.
Seems the modern versions of the Graupner gennys are very different from the one I bought 20 years ago!
Mine has a narrow glass tube underneath which dips into the aerosol cap oil tank and feeds the genny by capillary action. Means it last for ages (well all afternoon anyway😉) on a 'tank' full. As I understand it the maximum fill (0.8ml) of the new one lasts about 8 minutes at 6V / 300mA.

I have some of the new ones now and see what you mean by 'charging' from above. But, how do you propose to fit it? If it's a tight flush fit in the tube won't you lose the updraught chimney effect cos it can't draw cold air in around the genny tube?
Yep, the 24V put me off as well. Rooky mentioned using a voltage 'booster' (i.e. doubler) but these are notoriously inefficient and if you're running on 7.2 or 7.4 main batt .....!?
Just my thoughts, must experiment with the new versions.
BTW: my static bench tests back then were also quite impressive, stunk the kitchen out 😡, but out in the open air with a bit of breeze or under way at speed it didn't look quite the same 🤔
Be interesting to compare notes when we both have them operational!
Re 'Morse message': had hoped that an ex navy guy like Ed could decode it 👍 Cheers Doug 😎
BTW: your funnel construction and painting looks terrific 👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 01:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40327

Hi Peter, Re Link posting:
Open the site you want to link, e.g. this one!
https://model-boats.com/forum/building-related/38869?t=15218...
Left click on the web address shown at the top so that it is highlighted,
Press 'Ctrl' and 'C' together to copy the link,
Go to your post and put the cursor where you want to add the link address,
Press Ctrl and 'V' together to insert the link you just copied.
Bon chance mon ami, 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 01:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40329

Hi Doug.
I'm very much the novice with smoke so although the 6v gives enough for one funnel, a fan may be necessary. Real smoke rises of course and I didn't realise that the generated stuff falls as well.
There is enough room in the funnel, but as you say, no updraft.
The other complication is that I also want to use the funnels to let the sound out for my Shockwave2 sound system.
All good fun.
Going to bed now.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 01:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40331

Me too! G'night😉
Yes, you're right about the 'falling', as soon as it starts to cool.
If you use it a lot you will start to notice an oily film on your upper works 🤔

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 01:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40333

"The other complication is that I also want to use the funnels to let the sound out for my Shockwave2 sound system."
Hmmm! Hope the birdies enjoy the sound! Cos it'll just go straight up🤔
If I can fit 'em in I will try the little transducers stuck to the inside of the hull, to use the hull side as a sound board to send the sound sideways across the water and not up into the sky.
There was a discussion here about these a while ago wrt a Southampton tug upgrade! Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 09:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40336

I thought you were going to bed!
Hadn't thought about transducers, but Octman has a Southampton tug and he fitted them, to no effect. May be the same discussion. I'll ask him. Thanks for the tip.
I have the same sound system in my Sovereignty and I put the 4" speaker under the compass platform. I then drilled many small holes in the deck, which sounds terrible, but doesn't look amiss (even better with the 'monsoon roof' on) and works well.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 11:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40338

Had thought you were too! Your 'sound grating' looks fine 👍
On my destroyer (1/72) I have an oval speaker, about 4 x 2" under the aft torpedo mount. Cut the deck out leaving just a cross in the middle to support the mount (which ain't bin built yet🤔) and covered it with aircraft fabric and painted. With a 10W amp it's OK close to shore but out in the middle, ca 50yards, almost inaudible - especially against the row of the Biergarten behind me! Doug 😎

octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 11:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40339

Yes I was that person with the transducer( amongst others). I originally had a speaker inside the lower superstructure of the tug, where there are window openings, but without any glazing, so in theory the sound should have been able to escape. The engine sounds were OK but the other sounds, on a different sound module, were only audible if the model was more or less within arms length, which I thought unsatisfactory! Aha I thought, use a transducer attached under the deck, other people seem to get satisfactory results. I didn't. I think that there is too much clutter on the deck of the Southampton,which is not that big, preventing the hull from doing what it is supposed to do. Next idea is to conceal a normal speaker on the deck disguised as a pile of pallets, with lots of lovely gaps to let the sound out.

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 12:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40340

Hi Steve, Chris,
No Chris yours wasn't the thread I was thinking of but this
https://model-boats.com/search/Hobby-Engine-Richardson-Upgra...
Same model just a different name.
The transducer idea was sparked off I think by a video of 'Noisy Thing' in an RAF launch - by PMDEVLIN I think.
If we'd seen your thread we might have said that fitting the transducer horizontally under the deck is not the best idea. That also directs the sound upwards and the deck is too stiff, due to coamings and superstructure etc, to resonate with the transducer.
Recommendation is to fit to the hull on either side, wired in series so that two 4Ohm transducers give the 8Ohm load impedance needed by most amps.
The idea is to bring the hull sides to vibrate thus acting as a 'speaker cone' and project the sound sideways across the water and not straight up. They should be fitted to the largest flattish area available for maximum effect.
I like the 'sound-palettes' idea 👍 Let us know how it goes, Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

24th Mar 2018 13:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40341

Hi Steve, Had a nice surprise this morning,😊 wooden deck finally arrived, box damaged (bent slightly) but no damage to the decks or Chain!!!now just gotta find time to start the build.
regards, Peter

Rookysailor
(Commander)

24th Mar 2018 13:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40342

Many thanks Doug for the info. Itried to send Steve a link to an item on Ebay using the actions you have explained, but for some reason the link was 2 lines long, I will try and send you the same link and see if you can solve the problem
merci Peter🤓

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 13:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40343

Hi Peter, some links JUST ARE THAT LONG, some even longer, and you need the whole thing to get where you want to go! It's like route instructions from A to B 😉 PM me the whole link. Doug 😎
PS Glad to hear your wood arrived👍 Now just order a big box of 'Extra Time' 😁

Rookysailor
(Commander)

24th Mar 2018 13:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40344

Hi Doug, as promised, this is the link I sent to Steve:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ultrasonic-Mist-Maker-Fogger-...
As you can see it's sehr lange...what have I done wrong😆
cheers Peter

Rookysailor
(Commander)

24th Mar 2018 13:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40345

Hi Doug, how strange, the link when I first put it on was three lines long, just had a look now, and it looks and works fine,
maybe I need some time and lessons on I T.
Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 13:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40346

Hi Peter, you're not doing anything wrong at all👍
When I analyse the element (look at the code behind the display😉) the link is three lines long.
It's just shortened in the post display. Just depends on how much space is made available to show it, esp the width of the box. If I scrunch up the code display the link is shown with even more lines .
The address box in your browser is limited so it can't display all of a long link. But if you press the 'END' key the display jumps to the end of long links 😲 Cheers Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

24th Mar 2018 22:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40367

Great Doug, it's fantastic to think any problem your just a mouse click to solve to problem, many thanks.
Could you please supply the link to purchase that 'big box of Extra time' you mentioned.😊
Off to the show at Heywood mutual boating club tomorrow, to see if there are any bargains to be had.
regards, Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Mar 2018 22:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40369

Hi Peter, Thank you! Happy to help. But I don't claim to know everything😉
I stay out of discussions on things which are not my forte; e.g. yachts and other sailing craft, apart from admiring the woodwork involved, or subs - where I am still at the bottom of the learning curve, but I've been a fan of WW2 warships for years and enjoy researching the history and building them.
Been fiddlin' with computers since the end of the sixties! They got a lot smaller since then 😁
I envy you being able to visit the Heywood show 😡
Sorry the 'Extra Time' site has been deleted by FIFA (I couldn't afford the million 'Fee' they wanted😁) Happy building and sailing, cheers Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Apr 2018 18:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41052

For those of you who have never built a Trumpeter kit, I can strongly recommend it. Although Hood is 1/200 scale, the detail is fantastic and an awful lot is fitted into the 1.2m length of the model.
I think a wooden deck is a must, together with an upgrade kit for the guns, giving them metal barrels etc. I'm not sure if the more expensive upgrades are worth it as there is so much provided in the kit, including a lot of photo etch.
I tried to mechanise the main turrets but found it beyond my skills, so I am now concentrating on the finer detail.
I have at last managed to obtain the 2kg of lead which I estimate is required for ballast. (I calculated this very scientifically by floating the hull in the bath and using a 1.5kg jar of frankfurters).
Sea trials are planned for the middle of next week.
The attached images show progress so far.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Apr 2018 20:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41055

Hi Steve,

She's coming out very nice!
Great detail can't wait to see the sea trails video...

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Rookysailor
(Commander)

13th Apr 2018 21:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41059

Hi Steve, looking very tasty with the wood on now, have you a thought on the funnels, been informed that the rear funnels is incorrect, but you can get an aftermarket one, just another thought on the smoke theory, wonder if one of the smoking gizmos from the 1/16 r/c tanks could be an option, I wonder if Doug has a thought on this.
regards,😊 Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Apr 2018 22:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41061

Even tastier with the Frankfurters, and Colemans Mustard I trust😜😋

Steve: I found a cheap way to mechanise the two aft turrets of my H class destroyer Hotspur, using one servo with a pulley, a couple of smaller pulleys on the turrets, about 2:1 ratio to give at least 180° rotation at the turrets, and a spring loaded nylon cord around the pulleys. I'll see if I can dismantle her over the weekend to make some pics. I plan to try something similar with my 1:350 Hood, also Trumpeter and also excellent detailing.
Another way is to use one micro servo per turret, connected with Y cables if you want a synchronised Broadside; A+B and X+Y turret. Then use the servo travel adjustment at the TX to maximise the rotation.
You can then move all four on one channel or two channels for 'Independent Firing" fore and aft. I will use the two pots at the top of the Turnigy i6 TX for this. On Hotspur I used the left stick left/right.
I plan to do this in my Graf Spee, Belfast, Hood and Bismarck. Maybe also the ack ack turrets on Ark Royal!?
Will knock up some test jigs sometime 🤓
Cheers Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Apr 2018 22:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41064

Hi Peter
If you look at this website http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter2...
you will see that there are enough incorrect items to drive you mad. I have decided to get it as accurate as the kit allows.
I have installed a Graupner 6v smoke generator in each funnel with a computer fan at the base of each - yet to be tested. I propose to switch them on and off with a receiver controlled switch.
I would like to be able to colour the smoke but have yet to find the correct formula.
Steve

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 15:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43787

Almost at he end of what has been a long, sometimes frustrating, but very satisfying build.
As the masts and spars are very thin, using my usual fishing line as rigging was going to cause problems with getting anything like the correct tension.
What I ended up with was 0.45mm nickel silver rod. The fineness of the rod gave it a natural 'sag' for radio aerials and it is rigid enough for stays and supports.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 16:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43789

Hi Steve,

Looks great, I like all that detail!
Must be very time consuming.
But in the end looks awesome!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 16:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43790

Brilliant! 👍Antenna looks really realistic, an' I've seen enough 'in real' 😉Where on earth does one get 0.45mm nickel silver 'rod'?
Detailing and painting Veeery impressive as well.
Sea Trials soon???
Well done that man!
Cheers, Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 17:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43791

Thank you Ed and Doug - I must admit to feeling a little pleased with myself.

The rod is manufactured by www.albionalloys.co.uk/.
I discovered it at my local model railway shop, which carries quite a few useful bits and pieces for model boats.

Sea trials planned for later this week or early next. Hopefully Octman will be ready with his camera to video the event.

Steve

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 761
17th Jul 2018 17:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43792

Doug, Albion Alloys do as small as 0.3mm TUBE and wire to go in it. I've used it for working model piano hinge! Albion sell to dealers from whom you must buy. They don't sell direct.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 17:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43793

Evenink Martin,
Sounds like the old 'shaggy dog story' of the US sending the Russians a drill bit the diameter of a human hair, to show their engineering supremacy!
The Russians supposedly sent it back with a hole drilled in it 😲😁

BTW: first result with your TX!
I knocked up a simple diode RF detector, connected to Dad's vintage AVO Minor (2.5mA range) and your TX is certainly transmitting SOMETHING!
Now to try and find out WHAT 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

octman
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 18:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43794

Glad I read this, must charge camera batteries!

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Jul 2018 18:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43795

"Be Prepared" 😁

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 761
18th Jul 2018 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43828

Well that's something then, Doug. Any ideas why it won't bind? Could it be that trainer switch as suggested by somebody on here?

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Jul 2018 11:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43832

Hi Martin, will continue this on your original 'useless' thread this evening.
Cheers, Doug 😎

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jul 2018 16:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44277

Launch day has come and gone. Overall I was very pleased with the way she looked on the water, but may I apologise for the quality of the video.
First off, I was unable to get 1/200 scale dragonflies or a moorhen, which somewhat detracted from the realism, but most importantly, my ace photographer Octman was unable to make it.
I promise to do better next time.
I also learned that this is primarily a display model and it is so easy to damage or bend the many tiny parts.
However, she has given me much pleasure both on the slipway and her short time on the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPpt7j-WSTM

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jul 2018 16:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44279

Looks great, well done, the smokers look terrific 👍👍👍
Very MAJESTIC😉

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jul 2018 19:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44283

Hi Steve,

You did a great job on her! Really like the smokers! fantastic details as well! 👍

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Joburg-sailor
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 1
30th Jul 2018 12:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44423

Hi Guys
As a new member on Model-boats.com, I am wondering how you Fella's are viewing build pics etc. I see no attachments and get no pics?? Grateful advise.
Tertius

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Aug 2018 00:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44484

Hi Joburg,
Nice town, long time since I was there, '87 😲 bet it's changed a bit!
A Great Aunt of mine used to live there then.

Re viewing pics; are you using a PC / laptop or a so-called Smartphone or tablet?
Cheers, Doug 😎