Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
June 2018: 5 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 7 people
November 2017: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (7)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Tamar deck colour
Tamar deck colour
(236 views)
alan50
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
27th May 2018 09:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42158

Hi
In the process of building a modelslipway 1/16 Tamar and wanting to know what rattle can shade of grey to use on the deck. Also should l paint the deck the finish colour then glue fittings on afterwards, or glue first and spray everything in situe. My first model boat so any info would be helpful.
Alan

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 324
27th May 2018 09:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42160

Ideally, your fittings will have spigots on them which help you fit them. gluing to just paint is not a strong method as you're just gluing to a thin membrane of paint which never sticks that well to a surface.
Sorry, can't advise colour, but there are a lot of Lifeboat folks on here who no doubt can.

Martin

alan50
(Petty Officer)

28th May 2018 08:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42204

Hi
the model Slipway kit doesn't have spigots on deck fitting although l could make my own spigots. Then should l look to fix to deck before or after spraying.
Alan

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 324
28th May 2018 10:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42207

If you can make spigots onto the fittings I would paint the deck first, then the fittings and then glue the fittings on. That crisp join between fitting and deck is made so much better if the two are effectively separate. And crispness is what we all strive for. You may be a wonder worker with a fine brush and paint them after gluing on, but they'll never be QUITE right and they'll be weak without spigots. Even WITH spigots I would suggest you use Evo-Stik as its rubbery nature helps to make knock-prone parts a little more knock proof.
Cheers,
Martin

alan50
(Petty Officer)

28th May 2018 12:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42216

Thanks for that Martin
I will fix with metric studding and put a nut on underside of hull. Remove parts and spray deck first . Might go for Halfords Polar Grey as nobody has come up with any other suggestions.
Alan

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1658
28th May 2018 14:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42224

Hi Alan, Ford Polar Grey looks about right 👍 See pics of original here

http://modelslipway.com/tamar/tamar_fullsize_arles_gallery/i...

Maybe a final coat of matt or semi matt lacquer to tone down the gloss a little?

Spigots are a good idea. For the small deck cleats on my Sea Scout I drilled 1mm holes using my mini milling machine as a drill press😉 Then Loctited 1mm spring steel rod into them. Deck was varnished and polished before fitting with Deluxe Materials Roket gluper sue!
The larger tank filler caps on the aft deck I drilled and tapped 3mm fitted studs with Loctite and glued domed nuts into the frame underneath, cos I need to be able to remove the deck for rudder servicing.
Happy spraying, cheers, Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!