Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 8 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Mahogany in Scale
Mahogany in Scale
(986 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 792
18th Aug 2018 11:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45177

Hi all, just received a copy of the above and will curl up with that tonight while the telly churns out its usual diet of Saturday night crap.
I shall review it when I've been through it.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 13:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45178

Hmmm, well a cursory look through over lunch shows me that the book is fine if you're a kit basher as it covers the Dumas kind of kit, but for the actual modelmaker it holds nothing but nice pics on indifferent paper.
Some useful addresses in the back. That's about it.
Nothing on deck fittings, etc.

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 423
18th Aug 2018 15:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45179

Good review, I concur wholeheartedly. I borrowed a copy and wasn't impressed, but as you say some useful addresses. Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 17:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45180

Maybe I should write one, eh, Colin? For the scratchbuilders among us. A treatise on brass bashing and woodwork. Nobody would be interested.

I've just epoxied my Sea Hornet, which I'm modifying as a Chris Craft Custom Runabout. One cockpit, big hatch. Cost me 99p off ebay a few years ago. I just had to scrape all the old red paint off it as it wanted to fall off anyway! Then a huge rub down, a wipe with cellulose thinner and a coat of epoxy applied with a square of styrene sheet because I couldn't find an old credit card on the quick, just as good though.
Next, rub down and 2 coats of cellulose primer surfacer, then the top coats. This one is to be one of the painted CCs. There were quite a few. But the deck will be veneered in the correct style and varnished.

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 17:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45181

Can't wait to see her on plane, and look forward to reading your book. I'm sure you can make a better job of it.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 17:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45182

Nowhere near the interest required, Colin. I was once asked by the editor of Model Railway Journal to write some articles. I did and the editor had changed and he said, "Nobody makes anything any more". And he the editor of the one magazine for scratchbuilders! Nah, sod 'em.

Cheers,
Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 17:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45183

Well Martin, its their loss. I try to make everything except the electrics. I suppose I'm lucky in being a retired prototype engineer, with my own machines and space to work. These days I am restoring more than building, I find it more challenging. Spotted a vintage boat in antique shop today, it had diesel marine power and valve and relay control system with a strange adjustable korts nozzle arrangement. I am trying to get the wife to let me buy it. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 18:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45184

Oh PLEASE buy it, Colin. Sounds marvelous. Far too few diesel powered boats about and that RC sound s wonderful. I have an old chum who still has a 10 channel reed set of E.D. RC gear which still works. He says he had to fly with a plastic trimmer screwdriver in his hand to constantly retune the pots whilst flying!
It has an 8 foot aerial and stands on the ground while he has a hand set wired to it.
Doug could get that going. T
They say you can't get the batteries, but a box of ten PP3s is a 90 volt battery. That's what my old REP set had, plus a 22 1/2 volt, the same size as a PP3. Not sure what you'd do for that!

Cheers,
Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Aug 2018 19:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45185

If I do get it, I don't know if it will be possible to use the diesel engine as no safe water near me that allows IC engines, so may just get used as a display model for the vintage shows I go to. Although I have only managed 1 show this season as ill health and then lack of a vehicle has hampered my year. Which I think is about to get better when my replacement car arrives on Monday.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2402
18th Aug 2018 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45190

I can't wait to see it either Colin!😉

Martin: "plus a 22 1/2 volt, the same size as a PP3. Not sure what you'd do for that!" - 3 LiPo 2S (7.4V) in series should do the trick 👍 Or 2 x 3S (11.1V) or a 6S if you can find one!
8ft aerial! If a full wave antenna that puts the operating frequency at about 120MHz. If, as more likely, it's a 1/2 or 1/4 wave antenna it would be 60 or 30MHz. The latter being most probable.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Aug 2018 15:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45209

Gents, just put the Sea Hornet in the build blog section, but whether it gets seen or not, I don't know.
If the IC engine is an easy runner, Colin, run it on a water where the turds can't stop you. A navigable river or canal or just run the bugger till someone can prove (PROVE, mind) that you can't. Then just run it till the fuel runs out, reluctantly apologise and leave.

BTW, I won't be showing video of this as I have no mobile phone beyond an emergency one that don't do pictures of any kind. I have a video camera somewhere that has dead batteries and a power pack, but where I sail there ain't no power!

Doug, would the ED aerial be more like 27 meg if it was 6 foot long? I think it gets damned close to his ceiling if you try to put it up at home.

So, chaps, Sea Hornet/Chris-Craft Special Runabout over on the Build blog section ifn you'm interested.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Aug 2018 16:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45213

Hi Martin, 6 feet is about 1/6th wavelength at 27Megs so should work fine.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Aug 2018 18:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45215

I was just going on the memory of it being so tall.

I can't imagine flying an aerobatic schedule with it.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Aug 2018 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45221

Neither can I Martin!
"The transmitter used two vacuum tubes wired as a multi-vibrator with a tank circuit to constrain emissions to somewhere near the 27 M/cs band (same as MHz, but that name came later). With not a crystal in sight, transmitter frequency drift and battery voltage drain was a problem, so careful tuning just prior to short flights was the order of the day."

http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardfile/ed_radios.html#3

Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 00:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45225

Last I saw t, he showed it working. Alas he has been stricken with Alzheimers in the last few months. I was asked not to go round as his wife had had a fall and it was all rather awkward round there. So suddenly a good old friend (he's 84) has been taken from me. What will happen to all his stuff, I dread to think. There are over 50 flyable aircraft in sheds, caravans and his large loft, even some boats. He gave me a GRP hull of the Bloodhound and a freelance, very early GRP cruiser hull. I shall attempt to finish them in his memory, because it's like he's died.
That E.D. RC set should be in a museum, but there ain't no model museums.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 00:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45226

" but there ain't no model museums."
Sure there are Martin, thousands, all over the world.
This is just one in the south of England
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Brighton_Toy_and_Model_Museum

Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 09:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45230

Ha!, that's the ONE, Doug and it's more toy than model. There used to be one at Beale Park, but that seems to have gone. I think there was one in London, but was also more toy than model. I know of no purely model museums. Serious , explain that we'd all have bugger all if it weren't for models...museums. I started collecting stuff for one, years ago and that never happened either. I ended up flogging it all off on ebay.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 10:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45233

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&se...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Model+museums&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/museum-collections/worlds-largest-ship-model-collection

A lot are Model Railway Museums but there are many model ship museums and others as well.
Haven't found a pure Woodie museum yet though 😁
Happy hunting
Doug

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 12:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45236

Doug, I don't generally "do" foreign and Pete certainly wouldn't. As you say, most are model railway or strictly stick and string model ships. What we wanted to do was a general model hobby museum with a bias toward the RC hobbies. Ain't none of them.

History of RC, RC cars, boats and aircraft. Materials, tools, etc. Mags and books, that kind of thing.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 13:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45239

Yep, afraid you'll only find that sort of stuff in a website🤔, like the one I found the ED engines and RC kit in.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
20th Aug 2018 14:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45240

Doug did you know that there is a premium on ED stuff.BTW what was that site you got the stuff on ? I'd like to see if there is more.👍

Wingcoax
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 21
20th Aug 2018 14:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45241

Hi Guys, I thought you might like to know that the BMFA have a national centre which is going to include a museum. Although it may be all aircraft at the start it may include other genres as well.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 15:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45244

There should be a BMBA to organise boat stuff. How could we form one?👍

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 15:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45245

Here's a few toy museums https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Model+Museums+in+U+K&oq=Mo...
The British Maritime Museum has loads of models too

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 16:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45246

This all goes to show what a broad church modelmaking is. Unfortunately, each discipline refuses to acknowledge the other. The number of polymath model fans like me is very small.

Onetenor, there is the MPBA, although no doubt it sticks to its Power Boat aspect.

I'm not one for starting stuff any more. Bin dare, dun dat, thanks.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 16:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45249

Hi John,
No I didn't know there was a premium on ED stuff!
Will have to start touring the Flohmärkte here (Flea Markets - have never heard of a 'Kofferraum Sale (Boot Sale😉) here.
Dimly remember drooling over ED engine ads, way out of my range back then🤔 Didn't know they did RC kit til it popped up here.
Sorry to dash your hopes but Unfortunately I only have the info and not the stuff itself😭
Here are the links
http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardfile/ed_radios.html

http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardfile/ed_radios.html#3

Happy browsing / reminiscing 👍 Cheers, Doug😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Aug 2018 21:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45270

Thanks Doug Just a history Doug No Items for sale but interesting👍