Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Chinese props
Chinese props
(514 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 793
20th Aug 2018 13:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45238

Just received a prop for my outboard motor from China as I couldn't find one for dog drive and the right shaft diameter over here. It wasn't the cheapest, but ye Gods, somebody has seriously specced up this baby. It is superb, light as a feather, completely CNC machined, sharp as a razor.
Couldn't be happier with it for an ebay purchase. Now, with brushless and prop, I suppose I will have to get the boat finished!

Cheers,
Martin

CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 29
31st Aug 2018 22:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45632

Hi Please be careful with copper/brass alloy propellers as they often contain beryllium which is is highly toxic, read about the dangers and take the appropriate safety precautions.
Before you work on these propellers, such as balancing, sanding, polishing or repairing.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2410
31st Aug 2018 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45633

Hi CB,
Where on earth did you get that from?
Can you give me a URL link?
Brass is basically a copper - zinc alloy anyway.
Agreed beryllium is toxic but over 45 years in electronics I've only ever run across it in various RF hi-power transistors types. Never in a brass alloy.

Academic for me as I buy my brass props from Raboesch in Holland.
They are already balanced and polished anyway!😊
'Chinese' manufacturers not subject to the much maligned EU regulations huh!? Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW People: IF by remote chance your props do contain beryllium DO NOT WORK ON THEM AT ALL. Dispose of them pronto at your local hazardous substances recycling depot.
Above all do not sand or grind them. It's the beryllium oxide dust that's dangerous, that's why safe disposal of busted florescent lamps and the old first generation 'Energy saving bulbs' is also mandatory. YHBW!

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Aug 2018 23:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45638

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2454547-Metal...

"Downside to metal props is the fact they need to be balanced and sharpened, which is a lot of work and not without health issues due to the beryllium used in some brass alloys. Berillium is highly toxic, read up on the stuff and take the appropriate measures."

and

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1267378-Dange...

I know you cannot trust all you read on the internet, but better safe than sorry!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 273
31st Aug 2018 23:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45639

dont know if this is a sales pitch to make them sound sexy as the element is used on things like the space shuttle and missile technology its also used in industrial spotwelder electrodes where it is alloyed with copper ,it is a carcinogenic and used to be called sweet metal due to the sweet taste if injected through taste ,personally I would just avoid it and purchase normal brass props .cheers Marky

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 00:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45641

Quote from rcgroups forum-
"Yep, beryllium-copper in many racing props, like Octura's.

No problem for "scale" brass/bronze props. "

Seems only to be a problem for the extreme racing performance guys!
Conclusion: Buy European!👍

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 00:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45642

Apart from Octura, how the hell would you know? I use CZ 120 and CZ 121 grade brass for all my work. I once had a lump of cast bronze stick which I used for a crankcase. It was harder than steel and hated being soldered, but it was the right size. I've worked with brass for over 50 years and never had a problem. But then, I've used cadmium silver solder without a problem too!

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 00:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45643

As the OP, I should perhaps say that my prop is a CNC milled aluminium prop. It is superbly made, sharp as a razor and I would imagine well balanced.

Martin

CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 00:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45644

After all this chit chat I bet 'Westquay' will say by the way the propeller was made of stainless steel.

Cheers Roy.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 01:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45646

Hi Martin,
"how the hell would you know?"
For a start you can look here.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Brass
Or quite bluntly ask the supplier / manufacturer.
But as I say above, only seems to affect the extreme performance racing guys. Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW; OP?

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 470
1st Sep 2018 03:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45648

All of this over props!
I'm glad I use scaled brass props.
For my Tugs! I don't need sharp edges for them!

If you know there's a possible danger in sharping the prop.
You do so at your own risk! Stay away from beryllium props....

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 11:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45654

Nah CB90, stainless s nice, but too heavy. This Chinese ally one is like a feather. Enables faster acceleration, which is what you want with a light outboard powered kneeler. Never seen a stainless prop. Ally, brass, bronze or plastic, plus the ancient twisted tin plate one on my 58 year old Sea Urchin.

Martin