Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (21)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > A return to the hobby!
A return to the hobby!
(1615 views)
J. Barry
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 8
29th Aug 2018 15:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45544

After a long period of over 30 years away from the hobby, I am in the middle of sort of scratch build of the old Aerokits Sea Commander. I was able to find a copy of the full-sized sheet, and am using that as the guide for cutting the frames etc. My plan is complete this with 2-channel R/C and once I have convinced myself that I can still do this stuff right, build a larger scale model of the 28’ 1969 Chris Craft Cavalier that we had in California for many years.
Just like to say that I have been very impressed by the service, and quality of the wood from SLEC; highly recommend them.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
29th Aug 2018 19:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45551

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Yup, SLEC are good guys. They're within a pleasant car toodle from me. I have a set of Crash Tender fittings from them since they bought out the Vintage Model Boat Company.
Sea Commander is a lovely boat and all the Aerokits are good performers. I have several.

Good to see another Chris-Craft builder on here. The world needs more woody fans!

Cheers,
Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
30th Aug 2018 01:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45566

When i'm back on my feet I intend building another Speranza. (was that a Veron kit?) I can get the plans from Model Dockyard and Cornwall Boats etc but does anyone know if the kit is available somewhere? I have all the tools needed to cut frames etc but want to do it quickly. Awaiting reply from SLEC👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Aug 2018 10:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45573

Alas, I don't think Veron kits have been given the same re-introduction treatment that Aerokits enjoy. But I think The son of the Veron designer (Somebody Smith) does sell plans. Probably on ebay.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2414
30th Aug 2018 11:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45577

Sign of a Forum Junkie Martin! 😲
"Goin' quiet?" My leg extremity! 😉
Get back to your Vincent you 'Old Dutch' you 😁😁
Gotta pay de bills somehow🤔
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Aug 2018 13:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45586

True Doug, but equally a chap has to have a cuppa and lunch, both of which (as now) I take at the pootah desk, not having a Klevvafone, like everyone else.
Just made the chain guard, btw.

Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Aug 2018 22:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45610

Thanks Westie. Phil Smith I believe ( could be wrong) Plans available all over the shop about £12:50 . I'll have to be happy with that I suppose.😊👍

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 17
31st Aug 2018 21:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45621

Hello. I have a soft spot for Sea Commander, I built one somewhere around 1964/5 when I was 13 with the help of my brother in law. I enjoyed the build and painting and buying fittings with my pocket money. I remember the long drying time of Cascamite wood glue! I think I had Frog petrol engine and Macgregor radio, all purchased from Roland Scot. After a couple of years I sold the boat and bought a new Moulton bicicle. I wish I still had both now

Dampfgerd
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 24
1st Sep 2018 08:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45652

Hallo Onetenor
you write from Speranza have you Photos from your Model, is it the Vic Smeed Speranza?
I have the Plan and search Pictures to inspiration

J. Barry
(Chief Petty Officer)

1st Sep 2018 13:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45656

Thanks, Brianaro, as a youngster I could never afford a kit the size of the Commander; the Sea Urchin was the best I could do!
I bought the plans for this model from a chap on eBay for £12.50. The full-sized single sheet is fine, but the tracings are almost worthless, so I drew my own.....

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 16:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45663

It's a disgrace how bad some plans are from the suppliers. I bought an aircraft drawing to make a De Havilland Hornet Moth. It was about 15 quid...more than enough and was so appalling when I got it back that I had to redraw large parts of it. Arguments about accuracy are one thing, but when the side view and plan of the wing is different it's time to cry "foul".
I paid what I thought was an appalling amount for Harold Underhill drawings of a Scottish Zulu fishing boat, but at least they were very detailed and accurate. Mind you for that price they damned well should have been!
And don't even get me started on the plans drawn by Gary Griswold of runabouts and mahogany hotrods. I made the one called, (wrongly) Excaliber. It would not support a sigle fair batten through any of its frame's notches, so I added little bits of wood and took some out with a cutting disc until they fitted. Then I realised it was twisted, so had to add a strong diagonal brace while I corrected all the notches. Fortunately, after they were all corrected the brace came out and finally I was able to add skins. I figured it looked like a Greavette racer, so have built it like that. But no thanks to the lousy drawings.

Cheers,
Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 16:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45664

Dampfgerd sorry no pics Too long ago aged 15 in '58 No camera then.👍 Vic Smeed ? could have been but thought it was a Veron kit which would likely as not have been Phil Smith.
P.S. try Googling for the Speranza model boat
John

Ianh
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 14
1st Sep 2018 18:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45667

Best thing I ever did was deal with SLEC as an aeromodeller. I have a fuselage building Jig that I am using to build a new Sea Queen. The idea is to ensure no twist on a 46" hull. Just making the blocks to allow for the Skeg will post pictures soon😊😊

Only old in years not mind or soul.
Dampfgerd
(Sub-Lieutenant)

1st Sep 2018 21:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45669

Thank you Onetenor
Looks like nobody have that beautiful boat build, not in Facebook Groups, not in RC groups , other forums and nothing on Google.
The real Speranza was a Renato "Sunny"Levi design, he was know for his fast deep vee hulls, Levi help by the Vic Smeed Scale plan. She is a very fast Boat and i build with 2 brushless

😊.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Sep 2018 22:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45675

Abend Dampfgerd, Schau mal hier-
https://www.google.com/search?q=Speranza+model+boat&ie=utf-8...
Several Blogs and sources of plans.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Speranza+model+boat&client=f...

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Model-Boat-Magazine-Cabin-Cruisers.html#SID=2605

Grüß aus München, Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Dampfgerd
(Sub-Lieutenant)

2nd Sep 2018 21:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45711

Hallo RNinMunich, ich suche KEINEN BAUPLAN , den besitze ich bereits, ich suche Fotos von einem gebauten Modell, vom Orginal gibt es schon so gut wie keine

,trozdem danke

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Sep 2018 00:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45728

Hi Gerd, Schau die URL Links an. There are dozens of photos, and some build blogs of the same model.
Mehr als genug für 'Inspiration' denke ich!
Ein einfachen Google Query schmeißt hunderte aus.
Servus, Doug 😎

boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 60
4th Sep 2018 07:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45779

SLEC do have a good reputation and its great that the classic kits of old are back in production.

The Sea Commander is one of my favourites as I restored one many years ago but foolishly sold it to fund my karting activities four years later.

However in 2011 I found another one and restored that. This one I am keeping along with the 34 inch Crash Tender of 1962 vintage that I restored in 2014 being one that the former owner
was about to place in a skip.

I am interested in a Sea Rover as its a boat I never had. In the early 1960s when we lived in Liverpool, dad would take us up to Fleetwood to see the Aerokits display and watch the steering event on the big lake.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be.

Boaty😆

Dave Keech
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Sep 2018 10:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45782

Dave,
that makes your Crash Tender the same age as mine! I also have a Sea Urchin that's 58 years old. My son has a Sea Rover that was mine. I might have to get that back off him as he'll never do it. It has a nasty twist, but that's how it came. I'm sure I can get rid of that with some suitable bracing. Its great bringing these old birds back to life.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Sep 2018 12:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45785

Cheep cheep, cheep cheep, twitter twitter!
Here's another 'old Bird' 😁 No! NOT me U 'orrible lot😉
Around 56-58 years old.
Can remember Dad bending the skins; bow end over his knee, aft end jammed between his feet. While watchin' telly (Z Cars, Bruce Forsyth?) and busily smoking Kensitas so Mum could have the coupons for a set of cut glass wine glasses. Très Poash! Cheers, Doug 😎

Ianh
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 14
4th Sep 2018 13:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45786

Guys
The Jig is finished for Sea Queen, I have designed it in such a way that the 46" RAF Crash Tender that I have as kit from VMAW will use the same jig.. Will be fitting to MFA 850's on this as the original had two props. Built one of these many years ago fitted with a Taplin Twin sold it when I moved to South Africa.Not allowed to run IC Boats at the 2 clubs I belong to
My wife must never know how much my hobby costs

Only old in years not mind or soul.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Sep 2018 15:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45790

WEEEE wouldn't tell 'er now WOULD we chaps!? 😉
All together now ...
NOOOO 'COURSE we WOULDN'T 😁😁😁

Dampfgerd
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Sep 2018 10:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45865

Doug danke

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Sep 2018 13:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45877

Gern geschehen Gerd👍

J. Barry
(Chief Petty Officer)

12th Nov 2018 15:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47975

Making slow progress on the Sea Commander hull as time permits; funny that after more than 30 years you somehow remember things you thought you had long forgotten! Lots of fun though.....

J. Barry
(Chief Petty Officer)

12th Nov 2018 15:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47976

After reading what I just posted, I should add that I am still making some of the same old mistakes, also!

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 423
12th Nov 2018 16:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47977

If you don't make mistakes then you don't make anything, good luck with the commander. I'm doing a commander refurb on my dad's old one from the 50's. RNMUNICH is doing the motor for me it's an old taycol supermarine. I'll be doing a full right up after Xmas.
Happy modelling, cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
J. Barry
(Chief Petty Officer)

12th Nov 2018 17:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47978

I would appreciate some input as to the type of battery. My inclination is to go for a lead-acid, as I would like the additional weight. I feel that most models look too light on the water.
The motor is a mtroniks 660 with a Viper Marine 25A ESC.
Any advice would be appreciated!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Nov 2018 17:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47980

'Right On' Colin 👍😁
My first Boss (part owner of a small sub-contract outfit I worked for during my Sandwich Course days) used to say
"If you've never made a mistake you've never made F... All"! 😲
He was a bit of a rough diamond but a great first Guvner!

Ref your motor: I'm multiplexing myself between repairing fences and refurbing your motor! Reassembly has started; first new bearing is in, will tackle the second tonight. Illustrated 'right up' 😁 to follow.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Nov 2018 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47983

I also tend to use Sla batteries a model this size should easily be able to take a 12v 7ah battery, some of my models I have to use 2 batteries, 1for ballast or in parallel to give longer running time. The 660 motor should be fine, what size prop are you going to use.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
J. Barry
(Chief Petty Officer)

13th Nov 2018 15:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47992

Colin, thanks for the input; I’m using a Graupner 45mm 2-bladed nylon, which was a recommendation from a local hobby shop.

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
13th Nov 2018 16:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47993

".....Ref your motor: I'm multiplexing myself between repairing fences and refurbing your motor! Reassembly has started; first new bearing is in, will tackle the second tonight. Illustrated 'right up' 😁 to follow.
Cheers, Doug 😎..."

The Taycol website would appreciate a write-up if you have an interesting 'Taycol Tale' to tell....

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Nov 2018 17:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47994

Hi DG,
Hmmm! They can always make a donation to our site and read my refurb blog😁
Anyway, I'm not sure they'd like what I'm doing with Colin's motor.😲
They tend to be 'Patina purists'! 🤓
Pics show where we're at, output end is done, brush gear end is a bit trickier! Details in a blog update shortly. Cheers, Doug 😎
PS This is my second 'Taycol Tale' 😉 Last year I renovated my Target and converted it to run off a modern ESC, forrads and backuds as Martin would say😁, for use in my fish cutter. Which might get finished around 2025🤔

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Nov 2018 18:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47996

Sounds a good choice, do you know what the thrust ratio is,?? 45/50

COLIN.
DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
13th Nov 2018 19:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47997

"........Hi DG,
Hmmm! They can always make a donation to our site and read my refurb blog😁
Anyway, I'm not sure they'd like what I'm doing with Colin's motor.😲
They tend to be 'Patina purists'! 🤓......."

Oh, I'm sure that they'd be only too happy to encourage any interest in the Taycols - original or modified. But I fear that they would have problems making a donation - they are strictly providers of free information, use only open source software and won't even run adverts on their site to defray their expenses...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Nov 2018 19:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47998

Evenin' Dodgy,
You do know the expression 'tongue in cheek' don't you? 😁
Anyway, I've got enough on my plate already😲
All the best, Doug 😎

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Nov 2018 20:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47999

Now now children let's not start another war by hijacking another thread. Taycol is a superb motor whether refurbished to modern standards or totally original, so please let's not waste any time arguing.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Nov 2018 20:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48000

OK Guvnor, I'll get back to work 😁
Think we're on the 'back straight' now.
Cheers, Doug 😎

sidley70
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
15th Nov 2018 00:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48019

Greetings from Australia,
Hi mate, Model boat building is the most rewarding hobby.Great for us oldies to while away the hours in retirement. I have been boat building for 30 years and cant give it up. Enjoy your hobby and be proud of what you build. You get better as you progress.
Regards
Sid

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Nov 2018 01:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48022

Well said that Man 👍
Greetings Down Under from 'Up Over' 😁
Doug 😎