Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (38)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Paints
Paints
(298 views)
Morkullen
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 6
8th Oct 2018 10:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46854

I am a bit stuck as to what type of paints to use on my Thornycroft MTB.
Do I use gloss or matt? What type of paint is suggested Acrylic, emulsion, etc? Who can supply - say - 250ml of any recommended paint as I will probably need to apply at least two coats. I have already applied sanding sealer and undercoat and now need finishing paints. One for under hull and t'other for topsides. Any suggestions for a supplier would be greatly appreciated.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 796
8th Oct 2018 10:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46855

I use enamels, always. They don't react with anything. Rustoleum do a range of colours in gloss and satin and are cheaper than any other rattle cans. I get mine from a branch of Boyes.

The original was always a satin rather than a matt. Totally matt paint wasn't available then.

Martin

reilly4
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 42
8th Oct 2018 13:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46864

I use Satin enamels as they are more durable than Matt finishes, especially on the hulls, but still go over them with clear matt enamel for realism.
The 'scale' appearance is the consideration. From a distance a real boat even if finished with a gloss marine enamel would not look glossy. A WW2 boat such as an MTB would definitely have a Matt finish, and always 2 coats. Working models get scuffed in use.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 796
8th Oct 2018 15:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46865

My point was that real vessels of that era didn't get matt paint as it wasn't strictly available. They had satin or, as they called it, "non gloss". For anything. I'm not remotely interested in warships of any sort, but I do know about paints and they could only use what was available.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
8th Oct 2018 18:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46881

Hmm! Let's 'Cut to the chase'!
First; I've never been on a ship, naval or civil, and I've been on a few during my 30 odd year career designing COMMS systems for ships, mostly naval, that used gloss paints OR matt paints.
Matt paint, whether for scale or full size, rapidly shows the wear marks where folks tread or grab or where we habitually grab it on models.
This rapidly creates a shiny effect, like the seat of your favourite, most comfortable and ancient trousers (which the Missus probably wanted to throw out years ago but you are fighting a REARguard action) 😁

During WW2 the emphasis was on reducing the reflectivity of paints on warships.
Gloss on a ship / boat MAY not look any different from satin or matt at a distance BUT; it will reflect sunlight and flash which attracts attention and betrays the presence of the vessel. Furthermore gloss shows the wear and tear marks much sooner than satin.
Whether matt paints were available or not in those days I don't know, but even if they were I don't think they would have been used after the initial durability tests on board.

Having seen the paint part numbers, all BS381C xxx, specified on the Thornycroft 'blueprints' that Martin sent me, I would say that the paint colours you need Morkullen are
RN Light Weatherworks grey BS381C 676 = Colour Coats M01
RN Dark Admiralty grey BS381C 632 = Colour Coats M16
RN Light Admiralty grey BS381C 697= Colour Coats M23
See page 3 of the colour chart, see attached colour charts from Sovereign Hobbies for their Colour Coats paints, which have been derived from original Admiralty paint chips.. Colour Coats are enamel.

If you prefer acrylic try Life Colour set CS33 Royal Navy WW2 Set 1.
See page 6 of attached Life Colour catalogue.
Happy painting, don't forget to post pics / vids of the results👍
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS have a look at the recent HMS Campbeltown 1/96 thread for further detail of the recent discussion on WW2 RN paints.
BTW; if I feel after painting that the finish is still too glossy I give it a blast of Lord Nelson satin, or in extreme cases, matt clear varnish.
Otherwise I agree with Reilly's comments👍

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug