Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Pretend deck planking
Pretend deck planking
(1060 views)
steve-d
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 35
15th Oct 2018 12:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47126

My sailboat will have a birch ply deck which I would like to mark making it look like it is planked.
What is the best method?
Thanks

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
15th Oct 2018 17:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47130

Steve,
something like a 2B pencil is a good density, but keep it sharp. If you like a nice contrast then a fine fibre point marker pen would do it. Bear in mind that most sailing boats had planks that followed the edge of the boat whereas motor boats had straight planks that follow the king plank down the middle. On a sail boat the curved planks joggle into the king plank in a variety of patterns, all tedious to draw! I lived on a Victorian racing yacht for a few years and its deck planks were, oddly, straight, so it ain't a golden rule. They leaked so bad I had a Gamalan orchestra of pots and pans catching the drips until the deck "took up" and stopped leaking, then the sunshine would shrink em all again for the next rain shower.
I would draw the planks on before you glue that ply deck down. So much easier.

Cheers,
Martin

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

15th Oct 2018 21:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47137

Thanks for the reply.
Had already sussed the curved planks but think I will stick to a simple join to the king plank. Just bought some fibre tip pens 0.3mm which should do the job.
So, seal and sand the ply first?...the ink would track into the grain otherwise. Doing it before fitting means you can bin it if not happy or turn it over and start again.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
15th Oct 2018 22:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47139

Sorry, forgot to mention seal first. Quite so. If you can turn your deck over and it still fits, I take my silly hat off to you!

Cheers,
Martin

TOWN3810
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 3
27th Oct 2018 21:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47502

Hi I seal first one coat of Danish Oil then i use Biro pen and finish with several coats of oil The Biro does not fade over time but it does if varnish is used Cheers Ian T

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2415
28th Oct 2018 00:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47504

"Danish oil is a hard drying oil, meaning it can polymerize into a solid form. It can provide a hard-wearing, often water-resistant satin finish, or serve as a primer on bare wood before applying paint or varnish. It is a "long oil" finish, a mixture of oil and varnish, typically around one-third varnish and the rest oil.
Rags used for Danish oil have some potential risk of spontaneous combustion and starting fires from exothermic oxidation, so it is best to dry rags flat before disposing of them, or else soak them in water." 😲
😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 147
28th Oct 2018 05:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47509

Hey Doug, that was a good one.

I have used the stuff for a couple of years and kept the rags in a plastic washing powder container with the tin of oil..................

Going to change that now!

NPJ

NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Oct 2018 09:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47511

Hi Neville,
I was curious! I'd never seen or heard of 'Danish Oil'.
I know and like Danish Blue, Danish Bacon and Danish Pastries😋 (not necessarily all at once!😲) but had no idea what the Oil was.
So I Wikied it to find out. Saw the warning and thought it might be a good idea to post it - Just In Case!!
I know the same thing can happen with turps / white spirit and other solvent rags. I always let 'em dry out before disposal.
Happy and safe painting folks 😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
TOWN3810
(Seaman)

29th Oct 2018 09:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47541

Hi Biro pen to simulate caulking is good too can be had with 3 ball sizes on E Bay Cheers Ian T

NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Oct 2018 11:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47543

Going to try this a a piece of scrap.

May be what I need for the Yacht rather than all that cutting and sticking................
NPJ

NPJ
TOWN3810
(Seaman)

29th Oct 2018 15:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47546

Hi Biro is good just rolls along less effort than pens or pencils it also indents the wood slightly and gives a very good effect Tung oil is also good The first deck I did I used varnish and the Biro faded but not so with the oil I like to think I invented the method but thinking can be dangerous Cheers Ian T

sidley70
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
30th Oct 2018 21:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47574

Hello from Australia,
First start off with a scrap piece of plywood the same as you intend to use for the deck. Work out the width of the planks and score lightly with a scriber (not to deep). Using a ruler or suitable guide ,mark the lines with a no 3 fine tipped marker pen. wait till dry(usually 24hours to stop bleeding) then either spray or paint on satin laquer. (3coats). Always works for me. Good luck. Sid

NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Oct 2018 06:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47592

Great stuff Sid.

I will be trying that this week-end.

All the best down there!
NPJ

NPJ
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
31st Oct 2018 20:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47618

I always either washout the rags for re use or burn them outdoors in an old paint tin. Reason is that even dried out the rags can combust in the bin. Not good. Ask me how I know. First I rinse them in turps/white spirit then wash with a good detergent/soap powder.Dry on a clothes line outdoors. Be safe out there.👍

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 230
2nd Nov 2018 17:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47657

May be too late, but have you thought about real planking?
This was my first attempt following advice on various youtube videos and studying pictures of the full sized boat.
Planks supplied by Jotika. They have various sizes and woods and worked out to quantity when I gave them the deck measurements.
I used cyano to glue to a plastic deck and sealed with a proprietory outdoor satin varnish.
I found it very satisfying and was pleased with the end result.

Ps. Please excuse the black dots of fly sht. on the deck in the first picture.

Steve

Attached Files - Click To View Large

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure?
steve-d
(Lieutenant)

2nd Nov 2018 20:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47662

Nice work but in my case the planks are all curved and herringbone jointed so far more complicated than I am prepared to put into this model. It is going to be hard enough just trying to draw it.
Steve

NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Nov 2018 21:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47665

Well this is going along very nicely............

By the time I need to do it all will be resolved!

So grateful to you all.

NPJ

NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Nov 2018 22:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47666

Very nice finish all round Number One Sah, (Salute)
(C .. I didn't forget😁)
Guess you'll have to make a scale fly swat and dustpan & brush now! 😲Interesting and useful tip about Jotika working out the quantity, nice service.
Cheers, Doug

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Nov 2018 22:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47668

.... or you'll have forgotten all about it Neville.😲
Oh no! Sorry, that's me 🤔
Er ... What was the question again? 😁

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 230
2nd Nov 2018 23:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47678

You're rambling again Doug, but thanks for the compliment re the planking.

Steve

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure?
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Nov 2018 23:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47679

Not just the planking Steve 👍
Rambling induced through good mood due to enjoying a Gewürztraminer while watching a newly acquired BluRay restored / enhanced version of the Battle of the River Plate. All good stuff chaps! 😉
"Smoke bearing RED 100" ........
G'night all 😁
PS "Number One, fly sht. removal detail to the foredeck, ON THE DOUBLE IF YOU PLEASE!" - "Aye aye Sah" 😁
Can heartily recommend the BluRay version of Battle of the River Plate / Graf Spee, Only criticism, USS Salem is a poor double for the Graf Spee, even considering the excuses worked into the film script. 😉
Attached pic shows my version. Graupner Premium but in need of significant rework in several areas 🤔
Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Nov 2018 19:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47713

Nice model. You must be an artist with your feather duster on that one......................

You rambling? Now there is an image to conjure with.....You in shorts and hiking boots with a rucksack on your back full of sausages............

NPJ

NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Nov 2018 22:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47719

Wouldn't want to inflict my knees on anyone Neville 😲

Peejay
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 8
5th Nov 2018 07:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47726

Don't know if it is still available, but I downloaded the construction manual for the Graupner Valvdiva, which has a joggled king plank and curved planking which is started on the outer edge of the deck. I haven't tried it yet, but it appears to be a good "how to." Greatest concern for me is bending the planks to the curve of the deck, as they are wider than their thickness.

So many ships . . . and so little time . . .