Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (26)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Building Related > Tarpon hardware help
Tarpon hardware help
(400 views)
Gordon-B
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 4
2nd Nov 2018 01:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47646

Need help in selecting and matching motor, battery, ESC, prop etc. for my 1958 Tarpon scratch built from MM 494 plan.
I am years out of date with the hobby and a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!
I have purchased a Graupner Speed 600 8.4 Volt (4.8-9.6V) and an Mtroniks Speed M600 12 Volt. I also purchased the Mtroniks TIO Marine 30 Amp ESC .
Please advise if I am on the right track and which motor to use.
Also need help on prop and battery selection. Thank you, Gordon

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Tarpon Man
Gordon-B
(Petty Officer)

2nd Nov 2018 08:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47647

Here are the data charts for the 2 motors I purchased, which one would you recommend? I could send one back! 😉

Tarpon Man
steve-d
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 45
2nd Nov 2018 12:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47652

Pretty boat that.
Probably know as much about motors as you do but, What may make a difference is what battery you intend to use,
Style of boat does not make for rushing about the pond so a 12v lead acid battery would probably be in order in which case the 12v nominal motor would suit. If you plan to use Nicad 7.2v battery then the other motor is more suited.

waits to be shot down or should that be scuttled.
Steve

Gordon-B
(Petty Officer)

2nd Nov 2018 13:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47653

Thanks Steve, my choice would have been lead acid, but the boat is to be a present for my son. He works abroad for long periods and I recon a lead acid would go flat beyond recovery.
So my choice now is a NiMh Pack SubC of 9.8 or12V, minimum 5000mah in case he blows hiself up using LiPo's.
I want the boat to have a speed around a brisk walking pace.
Thank you again for your reply.

Tarpon Man
Gordon-B
(Petty Officer)

18th Nov 2018 13:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48112

Looking for more help please. I have settled for the Graupner Speed 600 8.4 Volt (4.8-9.6V) with the Mtroniks TIO Marine 30 Amp ESC driving a 3 blade brass 35mm prop. I need advise on what size of NiMh pack to use and will it be under propped with the 35mm 3 blade?

Tarpon Man
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
18th Nov 2018 17:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48117

Hi Gordon,
"the boat is to be a present for my son. He works abroad for long periods and I reckon a lead acid would go flat beyond recovery."
In that case an SLA (especially the types produced to power alarm and emergency lighting systems) would be your best bet. They can be left on trickle charge indefinitely. Two 6V in series might be better than one 12V to help with trimming out the boat. I use a pair of 6V 3Ah (about 600gm each) in my 135cm destroyer and 107cm submarine. They run for hours if I don't keep the pedal to the metal all the time. 😉 Back home I stick 'em on the trickle charger and leave 'em until the next outing. They've lasted my several years so far. Much longer than my NiMhs.

An NiMh looses approx 1% of it's charge per day. So, assuming it starts fully charged, in 3 months or less it would be in Deep Discharge and have joined the Dodos😭
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
bj8healey
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
19th Nov 2018 20:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48135

Hi Gordon I restored a tarpon about 2 years ago, I received it in a very bad state, holes cracks all over the boat, I put a 457RE385 motor 6-15 volts MFA combo drills, tried it with a 12 volt much to fast I run it with 7.5 volt still fast, a 6 volt would be ok, the tarpon is not the best boat on the turn it does roll a bit, the photos on the water is with a 7.5 volt powering the motor, hope this helps.

Cheers Dennis