Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Motor cutting out.
Motor cutting out.
(710 views)
stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 18
30th Oct 2016 11:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24111

Hi guys I'm looking for yet more help and advice. My billings white star has a
MFA RE 380 7.2 volt motor with a viper 15 amp 6 to 12 volt esc, a 9.6 volt rc car battery. I have just tried the boat in my pool only to find that after 10 feet the motor cuts out.
I have checked the motor to see if it's getting hot, it's not, checked the esc for the same and that is cold. I have also checked the battery and that is still charged, I also tried another battery 8.4 volt 3000. Still the same. Your thoughts would be great please.
Many Thanks.
Steve.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 318
30th Oct 2016 13:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24113

Hi Steve

Did you check the batteries on the controller itself.
try resetting the ESC, did you look at the solder points on the motor.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th Oct 2016 14:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24114

The solder points seem to be ok. I'll try really setting the esc and see how we do with that. It only seems to happen wwen under load ie in water, out of water is fine.

stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th Oct 2016 15:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24115

Ok I have tried to re set the ESC which made no difference, its almost as if the battery is running flat but put the battery on the volt meter and its fine. ???

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Oct 2016 16:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24116

Hi Steve

Why don't you try a 6 volt or 7.2 volt battery instead, I think the motor is being over driven.
so the safety on the ESC is being tripped try this and see if it works.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Oct 2016 16:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24117

Steve

The RE380 Motor has a Stall Current of 25.19 Amps at 7.2 volts so if you are using too much volts it will trigger the safety on the ESC.
If anybody degrees with my analogies please interject!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 388
30th Oct 2016 16:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24118

Hi Steve, your comment about the battery seeming flat but showing 7.2volts. it could be that the battery capacity is nil or very low, put a 6 volt bulb across the terminals to act as a load, then monitor the ammeter, if the amps drops very quickly the battery is dead. Hope this helps Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th Oct 2016 16:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24119

Didn't think of that doh lol ok I'll see if I have a 6 volt and give that a go thanks. it's amazing isn't it put a few heads together!!

stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th Oct 2016 17:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24120

So are you saying I need 30/ 40 amp esc?

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Oct 2016 18:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24123

No Steve

I don't think you need to replace the ESC with a higher Amp ESC,
I would how ever follow JARVO's recommendation and try the light as a load maybe you have a bad battery.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1227
30th Oct 2016 19:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24124

Hi Steve
What radio gear are you using? If it's not 2.4 is the aerial above the deck? Is the motor suppressed? Are your heavy current wires remote from any receiver and servo wires?
Your symptoms sound more like radio interference than battery power problems.
The advice given so far should help you solve faulty wiring and batteries.
You do need good connections between the battery and ESC and motor. Electrics deteriorate over time and I have found the Tamiya type connectors to be unreliable at high current. I used to squeeze the female socket together and clean the male plug with fine sandpaper.
Another common problem with older equipment can be corrosion in any of the black wire connections. I recently repaired a 7.2v NiMh that gave correct voltages but failed under load. The problem was corrosion inside the black wire where it had been repeatably bent when being fitted in a boat. I traced it to a thinning of the wire near the battery. Pulling on the wire resulted in the copper parting where it was rotten. There should be little or no give in good wiring. Replacing the wire restored the battery to full working order.
Good hunting and I hope you find a solution.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th Oct 2016 19:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24125

Hi Dave, Radio is new 2.4 so am I right in thinking that rules out the interference ?

The 8.4 battery that I also tried is also new and the same was happening with that battery plugged in.
I think I am going to try a New 7.2 volt 3000 mah battery and see how that goes and if I still have the problem the look at perhaps a new motor which has been in the boat for over 10 yrs and sat still for 90 % of that time.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1227
31st Oct 2016 09:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24141

Yes 2.4 is pretty interference free, but you do need to separate the dirty high current wires from all signal wires. I very old motor may be generating lots of interference and could benefit from some suppression. The ESC is also subject to interference and if this is an old VIPER unit there was a faulty batch sold several years ago but I have had no problems with the several I have used in recent years.
I believe you have ruled out battery and plug problems and the finger is pointing to a motor/interference problem.
I am assuming you can still control the rudder servo at a greater range with the motor not running? Some modern radios have a low power range test mode which may be causing the short range.
Can you try another motor? It could be any motor and not fitted in the boat, if the symptoms disappear you will have found the problem.
Good luck
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
stevethomas
(Sub-Lieutenant)

31st Oct 2016 10:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24142

Morning Dave, the rudder servo works fine so that's that one out. I do have another motor that came out of an old rc glider, the motor is a simprop Power-Speed 1500-10 12 volt. I'll try this one later today and post the out come. Thanks for your help Dave
Steve.