Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Scudder
Scudder
(1325 views)
frankburgess
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 12
7th Nov 2016 09:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24238

Hi
I have refurbished this 'Scudder' hydroplane designed by Vic Smeed in the 50/60,s. I think it looks a bit like a marine Douglas Dakota!

In place of a an OS MAX 3 15 glow diesel, I fitted a A2212/13T, 1000KV brushless motor and propeller and an HW H30A controller.

It goes well but will not quite plane.

It current uses a NiCad 7.2v.

I have adjusted the angle of the prop/motor to push the nose up a bit, but will the motor/controller set up take a higher voltage so it will have more power?

Hi Gents

Update on the Scudder...I fitted an 11v Lipo, and relaunched. Loads of power; the hydro immediately went onto the plane and ran very fast....then the trouble started!
The roof flew off, passed through the prop, and was chopped up...this in turn damaged the prop blades and possibly through vibration, the motor mount then broke up!

Maldon never had so much entertainment!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 386
9th Nov 2016 17:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24259

data on your motor gives

Max V 3s lipo ( nominal 12v)

best prop 9x6 or 10x5 E props

when at 3s lipo battery.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
frankburgess
(Lieutenant)

9th Nov 2016 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24260

thanks...I can give it more power!

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Nov 2016 05:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24263

Sorry for the terse reply I tried posting a couple of times and got error messages.

Do please get a watt meter you should be pulling no more than 12A whatever prop you use.

Quite honestly to replace a 3.5cc motor I would think you need something a little beefier.

Received wisdom would suggest you look for something in the 3-400W class.

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?product...

http://brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id...

The above are only examples not recommendations I have never used that supplier.

unfortunately you will also need to replace your ESC !!!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1244
10th Nov 2016 11:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24268

I would agree with Haverlock's advice so far and would add the BRChobbies is a good supplier of motors/Esc and batteries. I have used them in the past and their products are 1st class.

I also believe you will need a much beefier motor and ESC (your wattmeter) will give you the amps and watts used so you will be able to avoid cooking and electrics.

NiMh batteries give good power but for your application you need lots of power and LiPos are the best choice.

Going back to my flying days it was usual the try several different sizes and pitches of propeller before the optimum was achieved. You cannot just add any prop to a brushless motor as they require a load that enables them to work within their wattage.

That is why you need a Wattmeter so you can check and also make sure you are not exceeding the ESC rating or overloading the battery capacity.

This is important with LiPos as they should not be discharged below about 3.3v but this should be marked on the batteries. Many ESCs have a built in cut off that can be set to the correct value. Unlike other batteries LiPos change internally if abused and there have been many instances where fires have resulted. U-tube has many examples.

If you are new to LiPos then you need to be aware of the correct charging procedure using a dedicated charger. LiPos should never be charged unattended and preferably in a charging bag in an area near to an outside door should the need arise.

I have used LiPos for many years without incident so correct use will reduce the chance of any accidents. As with any high speed high power setup you do need to make sure everything is securely fastened and the wiring neat and of the correct capacity. I once cooked a motor because I had not secured it correctly, I now always use bolts locknuts and washers, and check the mounting before every sail.

Good luck and some pics and perhaps video on water would be good to see

Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
frankburgess
(Lieutenant)

11th Nov 2016 10:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24281

Thanks very much for your advice......running the model at my club at Maldon certainly generates a lot of interest.......there's nothing else like it, so there are lots of suggestions. One of our blokes is going to bring a 12v lipo Batt so we will see if the increased power gets it on the plane.

Angling the motor helped a little, another possibility is to reduce the angle of the hull profile at the bows.

Anyway...keep you posted.

Maybe see you at Warwick ...the Maldon Coach should arrive about 11am on Saturday.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1244
11th Nov 2016 11:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24282

Good luck with the test. I suggest you only try a quick short circuit initially and then check your installation to make sure nothing is getting hot. LiPos and brushless work well together but both are low resistance devices so can and do take lots of power very quickly if not correctly matched.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Nov 2016 11:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24283

you might want to lengthen the short circuit as they are bad for electrics !!!!!!!!!

frankburgess
(Lieutenant)

11th Nov 2016 19:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24288

Thanks gentlemen, but you might as well know I am famous for fires and sinkings!

Now you know why the club members were so interested in the Scudder trials.........................its like a Roman spectacle!

onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 122
16th Nov 2016 00:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24368

You may also want to try playing with the thrust .Air boats are funny things in that respect with the the angles often being the opposite of the expected. Did you know that Vic did a similar boat with a tractor screw called SKIDDER ? I did this and his 3 sponson Pond Skater. They both needed a few degrees of down thrust contrary to what you might expect to get them to plane.

onetenor
(Commander)

16th Nov 2016 01:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24370

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=89630 this link could put you intouch with the guy who built it from the plans You should be able to obtin the reccomended thrust angles I hope this helps John

boaty
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 19
16th Nov 2016 10:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24377

😀 😊 Really great to see an airscrew driven boat especially one designed by Vic Smeed.
Last one I had was a scratch built free running one powered by a Cox Babe Bee back in 1968.

Main benefits of that were you had to run round the lake to catch it before it hit the banks. It was a lot cheaper than an exercise bike.

The Vic Smeed design looks really nice and with modern technology there is a lot more potential for this type of model.

Its got me thinking now about building one . I am sure that some of the plans for the original ones are still available . Other option is to scratch build, fit it with a brushless electric motor and radio then go on a diet.

Have fun- Boaty

Dave Keech
onetenor
(Commander)

16th Nov 2016 17:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24384

You're right about the running but we had a round pond and if you set the rudder right it would circle until it ran out of juice.The POND SKATER has recently been done to a bigger size on one with radio.I saw it on a couple of free plans sites but can't recall which had the bigger info. John

onetenor
(Commander)

16th Nov 2016 20:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24388

BTW Just Google Vic Smeed Model boat plans and follow the links

boaty
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 19
16th Nov 2016 21:16  
>> Permalink