Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
July 2017: 11 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 29 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (3)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Wiring in a rx, an ESC and a battery (pack)
Wiring in a rx, an ESC and a battery (pack)
(397 views)
NickW
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 70
16th May 2017 15:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28967

Ok boys and gi....er boys....Last week Dave M (Dave) and RNinMunich (Doug) very kindly puppy walked me through how NOT to wire up your boat, esp to prevent smoke appearing and burning out ESC's and Rx's. So now I have a 'new' boat, the Bristol Bay....my pride & joy, my baby.....and I have a new Rx and a new ESC to fit. Only this time I don't want to make smoke (I can get a machine off eBay for that)....do I research on the net how to wire up? Is it special knowledge only Fleet Admirals and wizard's get to know? I so need to go sailing on Thursday I need help (i'v got an email ready for the devil and the promise of my soul if all else fails).....attached are photo's of the wiring etc and the battery pack's are I believe NiCad

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Haverlock
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 385
16th May 2017 16:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28971

first take a deep breath and calm down its not rocket science.

Question does your ESC have a battery eliminator ?

if so take away the dry batteries to use in something else.

Now your nicads connect to the POWER side of the esc. make sure you have the correct polarity.
The servo plug from the ESC plugs into your receiver whichever is your throttle channel. If you have a modern set then you can put it on the wrong way round with no worries since positive is the centre post.
The output of the ESC connect to your motor. If its a brushed motor no need to worry about polarity for now.
With your ESC there should be some setup instructions if there are none ......
Usually its connect and switch on receiver then switch transmitter on with throttle full listen for beeps then go to low throttle. Switch receiver off. When you switch on in future make sure transmitter is switched on FIRST

ok having gotten this far it only remains to check the direction of rotation of the motor. Take off the prop ( saves fingers) and put a piece of masking tale around end of prop shaft.

Switch on transmitter switch on receiver and try the throttle. If the motor spins in correct direction fine if not

Brushed motor swap the motor leads over

Brushless motor swap any 2 of the 3 motor leads over.

Job done have a cuppa then decide to sort out the rudder.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
NickW
(Lieutenant)

17th May 2017 13:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28983

Haverlock

Thanks for the guidance....I seem to have got there without creating smoke and I still have all my fingers so successfully missed the prop!!!! Everything appears to be working other than a noise coming from the ESC or somewhere else that I can't fathom. Switch on and all lights are working (ESC & rx) move throttle control and screw turns in right direction but the noise is a tad worrying/annoying....think it might be a trip to the Army/Navy stores for some ear-muffs :-)

NickW
(Lieutenant)

17th May 2017 13:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28984

But my Saturday will now consist of me sailing my new baby and not writing reams of words, trawling through mathematical material on the tinterweb, annoying the kind gentlemen on here, annoying anyone else I can think of and telling my sister how rubbish I am at electronics....which I do on a daily basis....she has now made a note for my headstone 'Here lies Nick, was really thick, lost his head, coz he wired the RED' Really cannot wait for Saturday!!!!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 488
17th May 2017 14:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28985

Hearty Congrats 👍
What sort of noise?
Can you feel any vibrations from the motor and/or coupling - prop shaft?
Carefully test motor / shaft with your finger tips!!
Dry bearing somewhere perhaps?

cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th May 2017 14:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28986

PS or should we call you 'Dr Faust' ?? 😎

NickW
(Lieutenant)

17th May 2017 19:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29008

Hi Doug

It's a tinny type noise, no vibrations or anything I can see/feel.... I'm using the Tamco Tx and Rx along with an Mtroniks Viper 20 ESC....once it's all switched on the green rx light is on and the red/green light is on on the ESC....the Tx is also switched on and all is quiet...once the throttle moves the sound starts...possibly the motor, could be a normal sound one should expect....the coupling appears ok

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th May 2017 20:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29009

Hi Nick,
(Sorry - more questions!!)
Do you get the same noise in both forward and reverse?
Try a drop of light machine oil on the motor bearings.
Which motor is it?
Then move back along the shaft input and output.
Is there any slack in the coupling joint?
If so a spot of grease helps quieten it at least, if nowt else Vaseline will do.

Cheers Doug 😎