Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > ECS rating- confused
ECS rating- confused
(212 views)
octman
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 84
5th Jun 2017 12:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29745

I have read so much lately regarding the appropriate size of ESC for brushed motors that I am totally confused (not really totally , but nearly!). For a Graupner Speed 600 the info given with the motor is max efficiency current = 11 amps, stalled current = 70 amps, no load current = 1.8 amps. Do I need an esc rated at 70 amps or more, or a 15 or 20 amp Mtronic Viper unit be OK? Should the fuse be 15 amps, or something well above that but under 70 amps?

Questions, questions! (should have stuck to sail!)

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 598
5th Jun 2017 13:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29747

You've almost answered your own question!
ESC: If the motor stalls, weed or plastic bag etc round the prop, the current drawn will rise to 70A. If the ESC can't handle that it will cook 😭
It's a risk that can occur any time on most boat lakes. Up to you if you want to take that risk. If you sail only in swimming pools OK no problem the Viper 20A will do 😉
Fusing: If the motor draws 11A at max efficiency it may well draw up to twice that under other conditions and depending on the prop you use. Therefore the 20A fuse is good.
Use a 'slow blow' type. The Viper 20A should be happy with that, they seem to be pretty robust. I use a Viper Marine 10 in small scale models with twin motors without problems. 15A fuse might be safer for your case. Fuse should always be well below the stall current and NEVER more than the ESC can safely handle.
To be on the safe side I would put a 15A fuse in the ESC to motor lead and a 20A fuse in the battery to ESC lead. Double this one if you have twin motors! Hope this helps. Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
octman
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 84
5th Jun 2017 13:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29748

Thanks for that Doug. As you say, I nearly answered my own question, but measure twice, cut once as they say.

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2017 13:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29749

Yep, better safe ..... 👍
Glad to help, that's what it's all about 😉😎

rolfman2000
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 64
5th Jun 2017 14:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29752

Thanks Doug. You've just answered the question I was going to ask. I love this "clubby" thing. It's nice to have knowledgeable folk to help us brickies 😉 Cheers bud. Dave W

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2017 14:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29754

Hi Dave, In some ways we are all 'brickies'!
I just got some great help and advice from Tasmania (!) when I needed guidance on brushless setups which are new to me. 😎

NickW
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 74
5th Jun 2017 17:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29768

So the ESC isn't a 'fused' unit then? If we put in new gear after a refurb or upgrade then we have to fuse it? I need to go to night school just to learn the basics I think....

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2017 22:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29774

Hi Nick, glad to help👍
Very few if any ESCs seem to be fused! Replaceable fuses are always a better option.
By the way re 'fused unit'; 'fused' can have two meanings! One is 'joined together by a melting process'!!!! You have been warned! 😉😉
Good luck to you Chris and Dave, let us know how it goes! 😎
PS If it blows up DON'T send me the bill! 😉