Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 1 person
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 20 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (31)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Which Cable To Use
Which Cable To Use
(480 views)
GYJOE
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 23
6th Jun 2017 14:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29830

Hi All,
I would like to run 2 12VOLT Batteries in tandem, HT12-12 12AH/20 HR, what cable do I need to use to do this
Regards
Joe

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1120
6th Jun 2017 15:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29831

Hi Joe,
depends on the current drawn! What's the ESC / motor setup?
Any other loads? Lights, other accessories?
Total possible current required?
In the 'Electrical forum I discussed which cable for what with some other members. Check if that answers your query.
https://model-boats.com/forum/electrical-related/28332

Tandem? I assume you mean in series to give 24V total supply.
Is this correct?
cheers Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
GYJOE
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Jun 2017 15:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29832

Doug
I want to use 2 12volt batteries in tandem but still want a 12volt supply
Regards
Joe

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jun 2017 16:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29834

OK. Then you mean in parallel to double the capacity and therefore run time. Then you have to always make sure that both batteries are the same type, same age and same charge level! Otherwise the stronger one will always be charging the weaker one until they are both at the same state!
I can still only point to my previous advice, have a look at the link to 'Electrical related', cos I don't know how much current you want to stuff through the cables. In the same forum you will also find some guidelines for fuses to protect; cables, motors, ESCs, other expensive equipment!

For the record tandem to me means one behind the other like the bike! 😉 I.e. in series! Good luck, Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1427
6th Jun 2017 16:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29835

Hi Joe
I guess this is a follow on from your last request re charging batteries in the boat. Your tandem is usually referred to as parallel connected where the positive terminals on each battery are connected together as are the negative terminals. This will give you 12 volts but double the Amphr capacity in your case to 24Amphr.
Is this to be used in the fishing boat with the working winch?
As Doug advised the total expected current draw will determine the cable required and you should protect this with a fuse in the positive lead from the batteries.
If you can run separate cables from the battery to the ESC and the winch control then they will only need to carry the current for that device. Again each cable should have an appropriate fuse.
As regards the charging lead this will be less than 5 amps and your SLA will have suitable leads.
I would not recommend charging SLA's in parallel as in my experience one always charges first and the charger goes into trickle mode leaving one battery undercharged. I thinke you will need to have the two positive battery connections accessible so you can charge each separately.
Halfords have a range of cables which should cover your requirements and also have fuses.
Cheers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jun 2017 17:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29837

Yep! Good one Dave👍
I guess that about covers it, with the input info we have. 😉
Over to you Joe, bon chance, Doug 😎

GYJOE
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Jun 2017 13:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29885

Many thanks for your input lads,this as been so helpful,Dont know what I'd do without your help
Regards
Joe

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2017 14:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29886

Thanks for the feedback 👍
That's what we're here for! 😎