Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2017: 7 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (26)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Best Tx systems for boats
Best Tx systems for boats
(462 views)
NickW
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 75
30th Jun 2017 13:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30786

Ok a daft question....are there any Tx systems we should NOT use for boats? A lot of the more expensive ones appear to be for planes and cars etc.....or shouldn't/doesn't it matter?

BOATSHED
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 53
30th Jun 2017 17:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30793

I know you are not allowed to use 35mghz for boats or cars (ie) surface craft. But it seems to be 2.4 ghz for most things now. I used to use 27am then 27fm and then 40am & fm and have now progressed to 2.4 ghz as that is the norm now on most things. You can pick up a new set for a reasonable price.

BOATSHED
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1398
30th Jun 2017 19:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30804

Hi Nick
Yes Boatshed is spot on regarding 35Mhz, strictly for flying machines.
If you are buying new then 2.4Ghz is the best way to go providing your model is on the surface, if it's a submersible then you need to use 40Mhz or 27Mhz as 2.4Ghz radio waves will not penetrate the water.
There are many flavours of 2.4Ghz and they are not usually compatible with other systems even from the same manufacturer. If you have a local model shop or can attend a show then you can see and test what is available. You will also be able to get support should the equipment not work correctly.
If you intend to have several models and want a rx in each to use with the one Tx then it s wise to see if single Rx can be bought and the cost, some can be expensive.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1086
30th Jun 2017 21:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30812

Hi All, don't think that that is quite what Nick meant!
Most TX/RX sets nowadays are full of tricks and mixers for the fly boys; first setup question: 'Fixed wing or rotary?' for example!
So - Nick: essentially it doesn't matter what you use (except the 35MHz rule of course!) but modifying all the aircraft mixer routines to suit boats is not for the faint hearted or novice. Therefore for your purposes I would recommend a relatively simple 2 to 4 channel set intended for trucks and cars. That gives you the basic control functions, including motor reverse, plus possibility to control a few specials, lighting or sound (horns) for instance. 2.4GHz is the future, but not without it's own pitfalls, as you've already discovered 🤔 I still use my old MC-10 40MHz set; -
a) Cos it still works 👍😉
b) It's quick to set up for trials of a new boat or function, 👍
c) the more people move to 2.4GHz the less chance I have of getting any interference! 👍😊 (I have several TX/RX crystal sets anyway 😊 Bought up anything I could find locally the last few years)
d) One of my models is a submarine!
e) It can also store the setup configuration for 20 models. 👍
f) has no binding rigmarole. 👍👍
Cheers and very happy modelling / sailing, Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Sparkman
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
1st Jul 2017 18:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30829

I started out with a futaba transmitter ,then when I got more boats found that I needed another ,big mistake for me ,a transmitter with multi model memory is a must , some of the cheaper models for less than £50 are adequate ,although they are for aircraft ,I just ignore most features , the turnigy one from hobbyking at £45.13 p is ideal and receivers are reasonable too . Get the right mode , .it has the usual things you may need ,end point adjustment ,travel ,reverse etc .

canabus
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 64
2nd Jul 2017 10:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30839

Hi Sparkman
I have the Turnigy IA6 V2 with rpm, voltage and temperature sensors, great setup.
The throttle channel is setup for IC planes, so if you require central position for forward and reverse you require opposite .
Mode 1 IC throttle on the right is 9114000020-0.
Mode 2 IC throttle on the left is 9114000019-0.
The correct sensors are voltage 9114000013-0, temperature 9114000013-0 and optical rpm is 9114000026-0.
The ones shown on the transmitter page have the wrong connectors and require a special lead.
Canabus
PS the Flysky IA6 is the same unit, so you tube shows how to setup the sensors.