Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (27)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > FRESH BATTERY RUNNING TIME
FRESH BATTERY RUNNING TIME
(161 views)
Les-Forbes
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 43
25th Sep 2017 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33604

If I keep a fresh battery connected to the receiver, but dont run the yacht, will the battery deplete regardless. And if it's a small yacht say twenty inches, would it run (with the winch operating frequently) say an hour in total. Perhaps even a tad longer.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1027
25th Sep 2017 21:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33605

Hi Les, Sorry🤔 but this is another "How long is a piece of string?" question.
It's a simple equation to work out the theoretical endurance, but no input = no output!
Inputs required are-
Battery type and nominal capacity; mAh as printed on the battery pack,
Current drawn by all the electrics connected to it: RX, servos, sail winches etc, auxiliary motor if fitted. I'll leave that bit to the sailing buffs here. I have zilch yachting experience.

Re: depletion:
Battery should not be left connected when not in use!
You should have an ON/OFF switch in the boat to disconnect it.
If not in use for longer periods it should be removed from the boat and periodically charged, only to 50% capacity for a LiPo when stored. stored NiCads and NiMh should be periodically cycled; that means discharging to the safe minimum and then recharging SLOWLY. Good chargers have automatic programs for this.
Depletion, even when not connected to anything, depends on the battery type. A NiCad looses approx. 1% per month, NiMh and LiPos considerably less but still some depending on the internal resistance of the pack. Better quality (higher price) should mean lower internal resistance and less/slower natural depletion. Avoid cheapo 'no names'.
A pic of the battery would be more use than one of the RX😉
Cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" i.e. boat modelling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
26th Sep 2017 10:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33628

Hi Les
I see from an earlier post you were considering a Dragon Flight 95 yacht.
This looks like the larger version of the RG65 yacht I have.

Regarding the battery I suggest you remove after every sail and open up the hull covering to allow any moisture to evaporate.

Leaving the battery connected with or without a switch when there is moisture present will over time result in catalytic action on the black wire from the battery to the rx connection. The whole wire will turn black and need replacing

Far better to store your battery in an inside environment where there is no condensation.

Lixx I store in a metal box in case of any problem.

As Doug says the capacity of the battery and the equipment it is supplying determine how long the battery lasts. When you set up the yacht do make sure your winch and rudder servo are not driving up to the end stops as servos can and do draw large currents if stalled.

My RG 65 sails happily for 2-3 hours on a fully charges LiFe 6v battery, but I had to add a 5v UBEC to protect the minature rudder servo.

Hope this helps
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Les-Forbes
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 43
9th Oct 2017 07:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34297

Thanks Dave. That's very informative and information I wasnt aware of.