Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2017: 8 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > 3 x Brushless Motor control?
3 x Brushless Motor control?
(287 views)
Slimnot
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
14th Oct 2017 17:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34477

Hi I'm new to RC boats but not model making, I have 3 small brushless motors an 3 esc, but I can't find a way of controlling
them?
On you tube there is a MTB with a large control unit connecting the 3 esc' but I cannot figure out who makes it?
Any ideas please?
Many thanks

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1399
15th Oct 2017 03:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34492

Hi Slimnot
Welcome to the site.
It's possible the unit is the Action P40e marine motor mixer.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p40e-marine-motor-mixer.html?...

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1086
15th Oct 2017 07:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34493

That's what I thought, having just bought the combined ESC & Mixer version! Pic is from the P40 manual showing the application. Cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Slimnot
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
15th Oct 2017 13:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34511

Thank you guys for the quick response.
Although I like models to look accurate I might stick to two motors
Cheers guys

tomarack
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 23
16th Oct 2017 17:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34579

Excuse me, please -- in my case I have two brushed DC12V motors in my steamer Lulonga .
I use an external HK mixer. (transmitter HKT6A V2, throttle on right stick)
I control the model only with the right stick, Thr 3 canal=>forward and backward, mix with Ail 1.canal=> moving to left, or to right )
control is then very simple. I have a rudder as usual on can.4 (left stick),due to its little efficiency I use mainly right stick steering.
I believe it is more simply, than tank steering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdS-40f_0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6F8y60BAU
I think a similar scheme could be used for brushless engines, even for propeller-driven models.

Main principle: if It is not broke - do not repair It !
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 19:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34589

I agree Tom, 👍 Much easier.
That's the principle I will be using on my destroyer refit.
I have a combined twin-ESC and mixer module from Action Electronics and will have speed and steering both on the right stick.
Greetings Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 19:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34590

tomrack and Doug
This thread is about brushless Motor Control.
I suggest you start a new thread about brushed motor control as the systems you mention will not work with brushless motors.

The Action P40e is suitable as it does not have the brushed ESCs

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Oct 2017 23:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34602

Hi Dave, I think that was the end of it anyway. At least from my side. It was more a comment on the operational principle than the motor type.
Cheers Doug 😎

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 423
17th Oct 2017 01:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34610

at the risk of upsetting some apple carts get a taranis system then you can mix to your hearts content just plug each ESC. into its own RX channel and do your mixing on the TX.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
tomarack
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 23
17th Oct 2017 08:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34614

Hi,
as I wrote,I have no experience with Action Electronics products.
Regarding the use of internal mixers in HKT6A , these did not suit for this case,neither Turnigy TGY9X.There is always one main signal as control and the other one(or more) as a signal dependent. I needed to mix two independent signals and that is why I chose an external simple mixer!
To Dave M .. excuse me -I have no experience with brushless motors but in this case I do not know why it could not work. It is a mix of two control signals only ...What's the problem with that, if I use brushless motors?

Main principle: if It is not broke - do not repair It !
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 10:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34624

Exactly👍 It's the control / operating principle which counts. You just need the appropriate ESCs for the type of motor you are using.
I agree that TX mixing often has limitations. Maybe because they are designed for aircraft!? Doug 😎

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th Oct 2017 12:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34629

Hi All
This Thread was started to seek help on Brushless motors.

I have used and built Action kits for many years and was friends with Craig Talbot who introduced the range.

I posted this link in response to the original post

This unit is just for the mixer and does not include the ESCs and can therefore be plugged into and used with brushed or brushless ESCs.

Doug' post previous to my comment showed the diagram for a mixer and twin ESCs that were for brushed motors. There are no connections at signal level to allow for the mixed brushless motor connections, only the one for the centre motor.

Please read the thread title on Forum posts and keep comments relevant to the topic.

If you wan't to ask about or discuss a different topic please post a new thread title.

Live long and prosper

Dave