Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 3 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 18 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > 46" Firefloat What Motor/Battery
46" Firefloat What Motor/Battery
(346 views)
moormedic
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
18th Nov 2017 19:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35950

Hello chaps.
I'm very new to this but have just finished scratch building a 46" Vosper Firefloat in the old Aerokits fashion (ie all wood) to the point where I've primered it, fitted a radio and couple of motors (Graupner 600 chosen at random cos they looked adequate!) and a Lead Acid 6v 12Ahr battery.
Tried it on the local canal today and two problems.
1: its underpowered...nearly gets on the plane with a fresh battery but not quite.
2: The battery only lasts about five minutes.
I'm an old git and don't understand "Lipids" or the benefits of "Brushless Motors" etc and would appreciate any help or advice any of you experienced guys could offer me please on motor/battery choices to get the thing planing and running for more than five minutes.
Many thanks in anticipation
Cheers
John

Attached Files - Click To View Large

canabus
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 70
19th Nov 2017 08:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35963

Hi
What type of props are you using(size and number of blades).
I see your basic problem is under powered motors and a very heavy battery.
I made the big switch over three years ago from brush to brushless motors and to Lipo batteries.
With the help on the forum and club members it was a learning curve, but, I would not go back.
A 5800mah Lipo battery is in the weight of 450 to 570 grams and would give you a good 1/2 hour run time.
A good balance charger and safety bag are the main requirements, also maximum charging for the 5800mah battery is 5.8 Amps(same as the old Nicads).
Also a low voltage battery alarm.
Your 600 motors can draw up to12Amps !!!
Replacement same size motors for your mounts would be 35mm brushless motors, but, you will require two ESCs with a Y connector to run on the same throttle channel.
Replacement brushless motors are far more powerful e.g. a Hobbyking 3639-1100kv with a 60Amp ESC on a 4S 5800mah Lipo Battery is 800watts and with two in your boat is 1600 watts!!!
Your old motor would in the 100 watt each mark !!
I have the same size crash tender, but, with a single brushless motor.
I have all the order numbers for the motors etc. and a setup the ESCs if your require.
Canabus

Attached Files - Click To View Large

moormedic
(Seaman)

19th Nov 2017 11:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35966

Hiya

Many thanks for taking the time to reply sir...very much appreciated.
All useful stuff.....current battery weighs 2kg!!
My props are three bladed 40mm dia contra rotating. Purchased with advice from "Prop-shop"
Cheers 👍
J.J

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 497
19th Nov 2017 12:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35967

HI JJ. Your question about a safety bag, Damaged / overcharged lipo's can catch fire, think of the Boeing scandal that grounded the fleet last year. Charging in a safety bag is advised the bag is fire retardant material, which will contain any problem.
Your remarks about the boat not coming onto the plane is down to the weight of the battery, my fireboat started with 7.2v NimH packs 1 for each motor, Graupner 700bb's, good cruise but not quick, but short run time, 10mins. I have re-wired to allow 3s lipo's, but not had chance to test it yet, but should go like stink.
With a fast hull, weight is important, 4 x lipo packs, 1kg, half the weight and possibly 6 times the power delivery.
In your first post you mention 600 motors on 6volts, they are probably rated at 8.4volts, same as my 700's hence the lack of performance, also the battery, at 12ah it should last about 30mins, was it fully charged??? and is it showing at least 6volts, ie not got a duff cell???
Canabus, in his post described an ideal set up with brushless motors, 1600 watts is just over 2 hp, 750 per horsepower so you can see the difference in performance with different motors and battery set up's

Etherow Model Boat Club
moormedic
(Seaman)

19th Nov 2017 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35973

Thanks Jarvo for the additional info...I did Google the safety bag afterwards actually.
But...given what you've both advised.......as a stepwise approach, rather than discard x2motors plus ESCs plus batteries all at once, do you think perhaps upgrade the batteries first (more power less weight) and re-assess ? Then , if still not satisfactory, change the motors and Escs ?
J

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Nov 2017 17:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35974

Hi J. Your motors are nominal voltage 7.2v. Try a single 7.2v 3300 NimH pack, quality from Component Shop. It will be short running time, powering 2 motors but will give you an idea of performance, then you could buy a second, 1 for each motor, if this did not work out or you want more performance then go for brushless motors, still with the 2 battery packs.
I would try the single pack first, suck it and see, develop it from there without breaking the bank!!!!
Cant see any ESC, have you got 1 or 2? if 1 use a 'Y' lead to connect the second battery.
Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
moormedic
(Seaman)

20th Nov 2017 10:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36000

Thanks again
Will give that a try first and then perhaps see if Santa brings me some brushless motors 😁
Cheers
J.J
PS
At the moment using a single ESC( 20A Mtronics) but would probably go for two if I move to brushless.

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Nov 2017 20:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36030

Hi JJ. Just a word of warning, your Mtronics esc will not work with brushless motors, also 20amps is close to its limit with twin motors and fairly large props, performance wise, brushless is the way to go, but will need 2 esc's, wont run with one, if your dropping hints to the elves, spec your motors at about 700 watts and 600-700kva great torque with good revs at 7.2v even better at 12v

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club