Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
June 2018: 5 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 7 people
November 2017: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > LED Tug Mast Navigation Lights
LED Tug Mast Navigation Lights
(2386 views)
pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 34
28th May 2018 13:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42219

Hi, everyone:
I have a Hobby Engine Richardson Tugboat that I’m about 98% happy with just as it came out of the box. The 2% that I’d like to add would be to rebuild the main mast & replace the “dummy” mast-mounted navigation lights with LEDs. The mast has a partially open back with molded-on ladder rungs. I plan to use the open area for wiring, then add a back cover & bent wire rungs. The boat has working red & green sidelights, working rear deck area floodlights, a working searchlight on the pilot house roof & working pilot house interior lighting. Each of the “white” lights have individual on & off function switches on the transmitter, which is excellent. But for some odd reason the red & green sidelights are turned on & off separately. Ideally, what I would like to do is combine the sidelights so they switch on & off together with one transmitter switch & use the now “spare” transmitter switch to turn the new mast-mounted “white” lights on & off. I realize my plan may not be possible but I really would like my idea to work. Note that the tug has a short mast attached to the aft pilot house railing. This mast has two dummy navigation lights & the main mast has three. I plan to remove the short mast & add two aft-facing lights to the main mast. I’ll need help with wiring power correctly for the five new LEDs. I’d like to tap into the boat’s 7.2 volt battery power, but it might be best to add a separate battery box. I’d really appreciate ideas. Can anyone offer advice about my project? Is it feasible to do or should I leave well enough alone? Thanks.

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 202
28th May 2018 20:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42243

Although I've never had any dealings with these type of boats , I'm pretty sure that they are built in such a way that they aren't easily modified without ripping out everything and starting again.
As the electrics are built into the circuit board it's not easy to identify each circuit function without having a electronic wizz kid at your side.
I think the easiest option would be to put in a separate switch,battery ect.
Ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1676
28th May 2018 21:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42248

Evenin' Pete, basically Ron's right, but there may be a way, 😉if you have a simple multimeter! I'll get back to you tomorrow when I've thought it through.
Cheers,Doug 😎
BTW; I'm a retired electronics engineer 👍

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

29th May 2018 21:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42269

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your input. I was actually planning on using a multimeter to try to identify which wire goes what. This particular model has three different wiring harnesses coming up from below. Each harness has a unique connector that plugs into sockets on the underside of the pilot house. I appreciate this feature because it allows for complete removal of the pilot house. An added bonus for my idea of adding LED navigation lights to the mast is that I also have free access to the pins in each connector. It seems logical that I could determine which wires go where through the process of elimination, although this method may cause damage from shorts or it may take so long to figure out that I’ll die of extreme old age before I crack the code. I’m not certain but the bottom cover of the pilot house may be removable which would make the job dead simple by drawing a pinout diagram for each connector. I love a challenge as long as it’s not destructive.

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

29th May 2018 21:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42270

To Doug: help from an expert would be terrific. I’d really enjoy your input, but ideas from anyone would be like finding a pot of gold over & over again. I’m so glad I found this website & all of the friendly folks affiliated with it. Thanks again.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th May 2018 23:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42275

Hi Pete, Good to hear you've got a multimeter👍 and also that the board has unique plugs and sockets. I only have the earlier version of this Tug (the Southampton) with 40MHz RC and no lights or frills 😭
Would help enormously if the bottom cover can be removed so you can see which leads connect to the 'side' lights - the red and green navigation lights.
I am assuming that the existing lights have LEDs and not bulbs? Please correct me if I'm wrong. It makes a difference. And you want to add 5 new white LEDs on one circuit powered from one of the existing switch channels.
OK. been a hard day today and now 00:30 here so I'll finish this and send you the gen tomorrow. Will probably take longer to describe than to do.😉
Cheers, Doug 😎

deepdiver
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 48
30th May 2018 09:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42279

Have a look at this
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz It may be of some help

Fred

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th May 2018 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42281

Good stuff Fred, 👍
I have something similar that I will use to help Pete,
When we know where to connect up!
More later, cheers Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th May 2018 14:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42284

Here’s a starboard elevation of a typical modern tug’s pilot house & mast arrangement. I’d like to use this arrangement on my tug as well, including the aft-facing yellow towing light. I originally thought 5 LEDs would be used on the mast, but as the sketch shows there are actually 6 LEDs. I drew a green box around each LED to help them stand out. Thanks again, everyone.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th May 2018 15:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42285

Hi Pete, Okaaay!
That complicates the issue a little. 'I think I better think it out again'!
Now we have to decide which lights you want to switch together as some would not normally be on simultaneously; e.g. Anchor and running lights.

Do you perchance have a layout drawing of the circuit board and the plugs and sockets? 'snipped' out of the instruction book perhaps.
Or a good focussed photo might do.
As I understand it you currently have the following switchable functions, correct?
1. red running light,
2. green running light, to be combined with the red,
3. white deck lights, How many individual LEDs?
4. white searchlight,
5. white interior lights, How many individual LEDs?
Need to know the numbers of LEDs in 3 and 5 to estimate the current the switching circuits can handle!!!

Maybe we could combine some others as well, e.g.
deck lights and towing light or anchor light?
Stern light with the red and green?
Deck lights with the interior lights?
Interior lights with the running lights?

Let me know what you prefer, (I know... ALL singing, ALL dancing and beer from a tap on the side😁) cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st May 2018 15:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42309

Hi Pete, Some basics.
If you want to run 5 LEDs from 7.2V this is the circuit you need. See pdf.
Click the file icon and then 'Download' in the top left of the disply to view and download the file as pdf.
If you want to drive 6 LEDs you insert the 6th in the third branch and change the resistor to 62 Ohm, like the first two branches.
Current drawn remains 60mA, power consumption drops a few mW.
Any dropping resistor fitted on the circuit board must be shorted out or replaced with a tinned copper wire link, if possible. More on that later.
Instructions for wiring up, and finding out where!, follow this evening.
cheers Doug 😎
BTW: does this look like the circuit board you have? (Last two pics.)
Same part # JH-003R ?

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jun 2018 11:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42430

Hi, Doug:
You’ve been a busy man! I certainly appreciate your efforts & assistance. I haven’t removed the tug’s deck or the bottom cover of its pilot house to look at the circuit boards as yet but I’ll do it later on this morning.

I’ve included a marked-up scan from the tug’s instruction booklet to show the transmitter’s current use of its function switches. I also suggested a way to add LED navigation lights to the mast (in two groups) & control them with two of the transmitter switches. Please let me know if the scan or my poor printing are unreadable & I’ll try again.

The table below lists the factory-designed transmitter function switches & their original purpose.

TABLE ONE - EXISTING CONFIGURATION
Switch L2 - Controls (1) clear LED pilot house roof searchlight.
Switch L3 - Controls (1) red LED port sidelight.
Switch L4 - Controls (2) clear LED aft deck lights.

Switch R2 - Controls (1) clear pilot house interior light*.
Switch R3 - Controls (1) green LED starboard sidelight.
Switch R4 - Controls the horn.

*This appears to be an incandescent bulb.

Table Two suggests a way of combining some of the existing functions with two groups of new mast LEDs, then using (2) of the existing transmitter switches to control them. For mast lights I’d like to add (1) yellow LED mast top anchor light, (3) clear LED forward-facing navigation lights (1) clear LED aft-facing navigation light & (1) clear LED aft-facing anchor light.

TABLE TWO - MODIFIED CONFIGURATION
Switch L2 - [No change]
Switch L3 - Controls (1) red LED port sidelight, (1) green LED
starboard sidelight, (1) aft-facing clear LED anchor
light & (1) aft-facing clear LED navigation light.
Switch L4 - [No change]
Switch R2 - [No change]
Switch R3 - Controls (1) yellow LED mast top light & (3) forward-
facing clear LED navigation lights.
Switch R4 - [No change]

Even though an actual tugboat probably wouldn’t have all of her mast lights turned on together, I don’t mind if they’re all on at once on my tug.

The modifications above result in having (4) LEDs controlled by
Switch L3 & (4) LEDs controlled by Switch R3. If these changes are possible then adding the (6) new LEDs should be relatively easy, plus all lighting & the horn are still powered by the tug’s 7.2 volt battery. I plan to upgrade the battery to a much higher mAh rating to help offset the extra drain from the additional LEDs.

Doug? If you’re still awake after reading this what are your thoughts? Is my plan feasible?

Thanks again for your help.

Pete

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2018 11:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42431

Hi Pete, sorry no attachment found!🤔
Or did you just type copy from the booklet?
Is there a pic of the circuit board and wiring in the booklet?
Maybe the board is marked with L2 etc to identify the outputs!
That would be too easy though 😉
The bulb: can you see it from outside?
A white LED should be 'see through' or milky and look like the attached pic. Ciao, Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jun 2018 13:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42433

Sorry about that, Doug. My not-so-nimble fingers hit the “Post “ button before I finished everything. I think everything is posted now.

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jun 2018 13:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42434

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2018 14:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42436

OK: just off out to restock the 'bottles in front of me' 😉
More later. No pic of the circuit board in the booklet??
Maybe you can photograph it, both sides if possible.
Would help to us to discover the dropping resistors in each output circuit.
Where they are and what values.
Cheers Doug

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jun 2018 15:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42437

Doug, there are no photos or drawings of either circuit board in the manual. So far I’ve managed to get a look at & a photo of the board concealed in the pilot house. It looks absolutely identical to one of the photos you attached earlier. I can’t tell if there are any “dropping resistors” or not; I recognize that it has what I think are surface-mounted components & a couple of ICs on it but that’s about it. My expertise was in mechanical & industrial design.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2018 20:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42443

OK Pete, I've started trying to write down some instructions as to how we might find the correct wires and modify them. More soon, ciao Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jun 2018 21:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42446

Thanks again, Doug. By the way, the light on the pilot house ceiling definitely looks like an incandescent bulb. It’s hard to see through the dark tinted windows but I managed to get a photo. Hopefully you can make out the shape of the bulb & see that it resembles a typical small Christmas tree light bulb. I can’t imagine why that kind of bulb was chosen when LEDs were used everywhere else. Very odd.

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

5th Jun 2018 21:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42447

There is only one ceiling light in the pilot house.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Jun 2018 22:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42448

Weird😲
Can you get at it to change it for an LED??

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Jun 2018 01:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42452

I don’t see why not. I assume an LED would operate at a cooler temperature than an incandescent bulb, too, even a small low wattage Christmas tree lightbulb. I was thinking about taking the pilot house apart to replace the dark-tinted plastic windows with clear ones because as it is the helm, binnacle & other details are almost impossible to see. Not only could I replace the existing ceiling light, I could also make openings for routing the mast light LED wiring through.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 406
6th Jun 2018 03:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42453

Hi Pete,

I have the Southampton too. which came with no lights!
I got it about 6 years ago.
Anyway I carefully took the top off the pilot house using a single edge razor! You could give that a try! I also painted mine to resemble the WYEFORCE!
Good luck, Oh I also painted the inside of the pilot house as well!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

6th Jun 2018 05:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42456

It looks great! It really stands out from the crowd...er, fleet of similar tugs. How long did it take for you to remove the pilot house roof? Thanks.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2018 02:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42478

Hi Pete,

When I worked on mine. I believe it took me about an hour or so!
Just be careful with the seams! take your time.
Start from the rear of the Pilot house!
I first took apart the pilot house.
I took the smoke stacks off!
Then slowly pride the rear of the pilot house!
NOTE: on mine they had only glued the glue points!
If you look carefully, You can see them.
They're located at each corner!
Maybe you can also use a wide xacto.
That's what I used back then.....
Good Luck!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Jun 2018 05:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42479

Thank, Ed. Now I have some helpful advice I can use to get the roof off. Excellent!

Pete

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2018 06:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42480

HI Guys, took me about 10 seconds to get the roof, which was grey not white, off my old 40MHz Southampton 😊
It wasn't glued on at all 😲 Just ran round the seam with my thumbnail and it popped off 😁 All the rest was screwed together. Only some of the detailing 'stuff' was glued. Some was just 'plugged in'.
More later Pete, cheers Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Jun 2018 13:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42486

Good morning, guys. I got the pilot house roof off of my boat by using bits of advice from both of you. I looked closely at the seam where the roof attaches & sure enough found a very fine gap.

Doug: I trimmed my fingernails just yesterday so my built-in scraper/screwdriver/seam separator, i.e. thumbnail, is too short to be of use for a while.

Ed: Following your lead I carefully worked an ultra-thin blade into the seam & after about 30 seconds I had the roof off without damaging a thing. Excellent!

I’m impressed at how well the roof presses in place. Only the paint had “glued” the roof on. Looking at the photo you can clearly see the ceiling bulb (white wires), which is the same kind used for HO scale & larger locomotive headlights, among other things. The blue wires near my thumb (notice the neatly-trimmed thumbnail) run up to the search light on the roof. You can also see the black & red & black & green wires running to the port & starboard side lights. I think I’ll add a multi-pin connector as part of my overall upgrade plan for the tug so that I can completely remove the roof if I want to without risking damage to those fine wires.

Thanks again to both of you for your helpful guidance. You’re both awesome!

Pete

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2018 13:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42487

Afternoon Pete, Not awesome 😉 just 'Been there - Done that'!
Albeit on older versions.

So; now we're getting somewhere. Good idea with the connector 👍
I plan to do that with mine as well. I took it apart to investigate adding smoke, lights and sound. And possibly a twin ESC rudder mixer.
Project got shelved when I got deeply involved by a couple of renovation / conversion jobs. 🤔 You've inspired me to bump her up the 'To Do List' a ways 😉
Now we should be able to trace the wires back to the circuit board😊
Will send a Step by Step procedure tonight. Gotta go fix a rotten fence now 😡 Cheers Doug 😎
PS: I was also impressed with the quality and fit of the mouldings. Good tooling 👍
PPS: You may find this thread useful
https://model-boats.com/builds/view/34234?goto=34235
Neil has also been down a similar road. 'Jarvo' as well, who came up with some useful tips, esp re locations of hidden screws😉

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 245
8th Jun 2018 02:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42521

Doug that pilot house light could be a fusible link. Has it got a white painted tip? If so it is fusible for sure. If not it is a" could be" fuse. Trouble is you can't test it LOL😁👍 You could;if you can find one,fit a resetting led fuse.🤓
John /O/T

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Jun 2018 03:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42522

Pete piping in here. No, the bulb in my tug is crystal clear overall. Plus, it lights up when a button on the transmitter is pressed. Would a “fuse” do that? I wonder if it’s a carryover from an older pre-LED design or possibly something to do with acting as a resistor for the various LEDs on the pilot house? But that’s strictly a guess on my part. My experience with & understanding of LEDs & how they’re used properly is very, very limited.

Pete

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 08:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42523

See where you're coming from John. But what would be the point?
The bulb is only connected to one output of the RX board so has no influence on other circuits.
Pete; same applies to the 'resistor' idea. Plus; the bulb's DC resistance is around the square root of not very much!😲
I've found some pics of the internal wiring of the Richardson, samples attached, and am trying to figure out what we can do to maximise the flexibility of the existing function switches. Your pic of the cabin roof connections has given me an idea Pete 👍
More later, plus some LED basics for future reference.😉
Happy Tugging All, cheers Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Jun 2018 10:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42524

Thanks again, Doug.

Am I correct in thinking that the circuit board in the pilot house is the only one on the boat? Does that one board include the receiver, speed control, sound & light functions & an output for the steering servo? For some reason I thought there was another board under the big hatch on the deck behind the pilot house. I haven’t been able to remove that hatch (yet) but I will. I want to familiarize myself with the entire boat, so I’ll have to get that hatch open. I thought it would pop up by pressing the square spring-loaded button but no luck. Later this morning I’ll pry it carefully with the same thin blade I used to get the pilot house roof off.

I’m probably the only Hobby Engine tugboat owner on this site who hasn’t removed that hatch to see what’s inside. But that’ll change later today.

Full speed ahead!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 12:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42526

Hi Pete, Go easy with the prying!!
You're right. The spring loaded button is the way in. But it can be very stiff and underneath the hatch is a dense foam rubber gasket which makes the hatch catch (😆) difficult to release. Press the button firmly down while trying to ease the hatch forward with your blade.
In my basic version there ain't much underneath except the rudder servo.
But that's where I intend to put a decent battery.
Re electronic speed controller (AKA ESC); it MAY be on the cct board but I doubt it cos I don't see the FET power transistors for the outputs to the motors! Unless that's them in the bottom left corner in the second pic?
In mine it's a separate square block with the heat-sink tabs of the transistors clearly visible. Trace the wires back from the motors to find yours😉
Everything else, RX and switched outputs, is on the cct board.
Check out the blog with the link above and you will find all the secrets about removing the deck without busting anything👍
More later, ciao, Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Jun 2018 13:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42527

Hey, Doug:

Regarding the “FET power transistors” you mentioned, I looked at the photo I took of my board again & as you pointed out, in one corner there are three identical components. Each one is black & has three leads soldered to the board. The one that’s completely visible has the letters “NEC” printed on its middle with “1357” centered below. Also, one of the leads has the number “38” printed above it. All of the characters are faint so I’ve attached two heavily enhanced blow-ups so you (hopefully) can see what I’m trying to describe. Please note that I boosted the black parts & the lettering so much that the other colors are no longer accurate.

Thanks,
Pete

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 14:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42528

Great👍 Those are the FETs😊 actually 4 of 'em as I would expect.
Do me a big favour😉 Now take a full-frame close up of the whole board showing all connecting wires and the legends on the sockets please.

I've just chopped half the stern off my 'disaster area' Fish Cutter!
Oh woe is me 🤔

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 14:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42529

OK Got 'em!
N channel MOSFETS good for 180V, 4A DC and 16A Pulsed (as with our speed controllers) so more than enough for our 'little toys' 😊

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Jun 2018 15:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42530

Funny, I thought it looked like four of those things, too, but in my earlier photo I’d swear there were three. Trick of the light, I guess. I’ll post a photo of the board as requested as soon as I can.

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Jun 2018 15:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42531

I hope “chopping half the stern off your disaster area fish cutter” doesn’t require a trip to a trauma center for stitches & bandages. Whatever it is, it sounds painful & likely to leave you a quart low on the red stuff.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 15:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42532

Muchas gracias Pete, important is that as many legends on the board as possible are readable. 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 15:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42533

Can't sir down for a month or two either 😡😱😁
New Build Blog will soon reveal all (Or as much as I want to😉)
Little progress expected this evening; dinner with the GF and Germany plays Saudi Arabia 😁 in a Test Game. If they flunk that then they can save the air tickets to Moscow😉

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 16:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42535

Hi Pete,
I agree with Doug. Push and lift at the same time!
At least that's how mine worked out! I found a piece of foam in the bilge of my southhampton. didn't see the point of it. so I took it out! Now underneath the first hatch. I found the reciever.
Believe it or not it was a 27mhz reciever! Which I quickly switched out for a 2.4ghz reciever.
But maybe the Richardson Tug is completely different electronics wise....!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Jun 2018 19:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42536

When I had another try at the big hatch it came right off easily. I think it was a bit stuck on the gasket. The push-to-release latch is really something; a 50/50 blend of wow & ridiculous. It’s an impressive mechanism but it’s also seriously over-designed. The battery hatch under the pilot house has a simple quarter-turn catch to hold it shut while the aft hatch has a fancy spring-loaded push button release assembly. Doesn’t make much sense, really. My boat has a piece of foam in the bilge, too, but I’m reluctant to remove it. Although it’s no use for flotation my theory is that it may serve two purposes. First, it might be there for sound dampening. Those two big motors & their reduction gears make a lot of noise in that large void surrounded by stiff plastic. Second, any seepage through the stuffing boxes would be absorbed by the foam & keep bilge water away from the motors. Those are my thoughts but I could be way off.

The Richardson does indeed have different electronics compared to some of the other Hobby Engine tugs. It’s got working interior & exterior lighting, horn & smoke units, plus it has a 2.4ghz transmitter & receiver, which is a nice feature in that it does away with a mast-style antenna. That’s the main reason I chose my boat; I don’t know enough about R/C models to be able to say if 2.4ghz actually performs any better than 27mhz.

Anyway, thanks again for the excellent advice. I learned more about my boat without breaking it. Outstanding!

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 19:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42537

Hi Pete,

Glad you have learned! I too have learned as well.
My Southampton didn't come with lights.
So, your Richardson tug.
must look awesome on the water at night.

Oh, 2.4ghz is way better than 27mhz.
This is why, I changed the reciever to my Southhampton!
And the long aerial just doesn't look right!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 21:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42538

Evenin' Both,
Pete, you're right about the hatch, in the instructions (or mine at least with the old 40MHz version) they warn you to leave the hatch loose when not using the boat. Otherwise it sticks to the foam gasket. Just like yours did 😉 During the upgrade of my 40MHz Southampton I will remove that over-engineered catch and use neodymium magnets in the corners instead. That gives more 'headroom' to fit a decent sized NiMh battery underneath 😊
And yes there are 3 different versions of this boat, whereby Richardson and Southampton are identical apart from name and 'paint job'. 27 and 40 MHz with no frills and the modern 2.4GHz version with bells and whistles. Well, lights and smoke anyway 😊 Makes a change from Smoke and Mirrors eh? 😁 So between the 3 of us we represent all 3 generations!!!

According to my manual the foam is there to absorb moisture that might ingress through stuffing tubes or hatches so full marks to Pete 👍

Re different RC frequencies, as a ex Radio and naval COMMS engineer:
27MHz and 40MHz have inherently longer range and better water penetration, which is why I still have such sets for my submarines.
2.4GHz is strictly Line of Sight only, which is one reason why they first gained popularity with the 'Fly Boys'. 2.4Gig waves also bounce off water or are absorbed by it, so it's useless for subs😭
The other reason is that they use a frequency hopping (FH) technique which makes them virtually immune to interference 😊 Although I have yet to find a set that hops over the full 85 frequencies available. Most seem to only use 16 or so🤔 Limited bandwidth at the RX !?
As with all FH radio systems 2.4Gig RC sets also use a binding technique so that the RX recognises the 'signature', i.e- hop sequence, of it's own TX and ignores others. Mostly anyway 😉
Here endeth the 99th Epistle of Admiral Doug 😁
Main thing is, enjoy the 'fiddlin aboot' and even more so the sailing, as my German colleagues say; "I wish you always a hand's breadth of water under your keel". Cheers Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 245
8th Jun 2018 22:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42539

Well done sorting that out.Just to clear one point ref fusible bulbs. They are used in Chrimbo tree lights are clear and have a white painted tip. It's not a fuse that lights but a bulb that is fusible.Odd but it works. I used to buy a pack of 4 at a time from Woolies. They weren't all the same either.It could take ages to read the packages to find the right ones. I ended up with loads of different ones It was the go to bulb if the lights failed.🤓👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jun 2018 22:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42540

Tell me about it John😲😉
I got fed up with hunting for the dud bulbs in the chains year after year. So threw 'em all out a few years ago and replaced with LED chains and icicles and snow showers and .....
Anyone need a batch of spare Chrimbo tree blubs!?😁

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

9th Jun 2018 00:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42546

Hey, Doug:

I feel like I have both eyes in the same socket. It’s hard on my 58 year old vision taking pictures of things so close to my face. Anyway, here are 4 photos of the board. I couldn’t get all of the connection point labels in one picture but I got them all in detail shots as you’ll see.

Board-01: Overall view of the board, “North” is at the top.
Board-02: “Northeast” corner.
Board-03: “East” edge. All of the labels are letters.
Board-04: “Southeast” corner.

There aren’t any connections on the “West” edge.

Please let me know if you need additional or better shots.

Thanks.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Jun 2018 00:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42547

Thanks Pete👍 The row of 220 Ohm SMD resistors give a very good clue!
My 67 year old eyes let my Sony Cybershot take the strain 😉
Get back to you soon. It's sack time here in Munich now. "ZZZZZZZZZZZZ"
CU. Ciao, Doug 😎

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Jun 2018 15:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42582

Hi, Doug:

This morning while I was browsing Hobbytron.com (the site I bought my Richardson from) I stumbled upon another iteration of the tug called “Atlantic” (photos attached). I don’t remember seeing this version on the site back when I chose the Richardson. The overview photo shows a transmitter that’s different from mine; something other than 2.4ghz maybe? The display base has the name “Southampton” on it which adds to the confusion. I wonder if Hobby Engine any other boats besides the Atlantic/Richardson/Southampton trio & their assorted options or if there are others?

Pete

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Jun 2018 16:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42586

Hi Pete,

Not sure why the name plate says Southampton.
I've never seen the Atlantic before!
The controller that you see is the 27mhz unit
I know I have one in my spare parts bin!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Jun 2018 21:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42592

Hi Both, All the mouldings look identical to the Southampton and Richardson. The hull and stand are the same as my 'Southampton', the superstructure the same as the Richardson?, but with a red roof😆?
Maybe they ran out of grey and white plastic 😁

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

11th Jun 2018 04:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42602

Hey, Guys:

Do you know if this model is scaled from a real boat? There are photos-aplenty on the web of full-size boats that are similar to Hobby Engine’s design but I haven’t seen any that match 100%. At 1:36 scale & 22” (1.833’) OAL that means a full-size Atlantic/Richardson/Southampton would be 66’ long. That’s about right for a small harbor tug.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Jun 2018 19:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42618

That's about right take a look at the real Wyeforce!
Guess 22" is where they thought the model should be at!
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/235000813

"Fair winds calm Seas"
pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

12th Jun 2018 11:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42624

Wow! Hobby Engine’s tugs are nearly identical to the WYEFORCE. In fact, as you mentioned in one of your prior posts, the Southampton’s color scheme is very similar to the WYEFORCE as well. I measured the OAL of my Richardson & it comes up a little bit short of the “advertised” length of 22”. It actually measures 21-3/8” or 1.781’ [0.543m]. Using the inverse of 1:36 yields the OAL of the full-size boat: 1.781’ x 36 = 64.12’ [19.54m], which is 1.12’ [0.34m] longer than the 19.2m OAL stated for the WYEFORCE on marinetraffic.com. The length difference isn’t surprising because the “as-built” dimensions of fabricated steel ships, boats, barges, etc. can vary quite a bit from the original engineering design. The length stated for the WYEFORCE could be an estimate or events like ECOs (engineering change orders), field alterations & damage repairs could have affected the full-size tug’s OAL. In my 35 years as a mechanical/industrial designer I frequently dealt with machinery that varied from planned dimensions. I’m not a rivet counter & I doubt that most R/C boaters are either. It’s all about having fun, right? If the model looks right, it is right.

Enough said.

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

20th Jun 2018 12:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42919

Hi, Doug:

I’ve got a question about the resistors that’ll be needed for each of the six mast-mounted LED navigation lights. This may seem like a dumb question to an expert like you but please don’t laugh too hard. Anyway, do these resistors need to be installed as close as close as possible to the anode or can they be located some distance away, maybe as much as a foot or so? I don’t know yet what the value or physical size of the resistors will be but I’m pretty sure that the space inside the Richardson’s mast isn’t large enough to house the wiring for the LEDs & the resistors, too. If they can be installed farther away, I was thinking I could put the six resistors on a small board & install it inside the large cabin under the pilot house. When resistors are used in LED circuits do they get warm or even hot? If so, I can open up the dummy rectangular portholes & install black fine-mesh nylon screens in the openings. If heat isn’t a concern then I won’t sweat it (bad pun there, sorry). The hardest part of my project will probably be finding a good online source for the various electronic parts I’ll need. There used to be a great electronics supply store about two miles from my home. Coincidentally, that store was less than a block up the street from a hobby shop where I did business for almost fifty years. Now both stores are long gone. Sniff.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jun 2018 22:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42941

I ain't laughing Pete, it's a fair question (or two) 😉
1 Location: you're on the right track👍 A little distribution board, e.g. built on Veroboard, is a good tidy solution and simplifies any troubleshooting later. Put the resistors in the + lead to the LEDs.
2 Resistor size and heat: 1/8 or 1/4 W resistors will do nicely. Since they will only be passing 20 to 30mA they should not get hot. The size is about 3mmx 10mm. Allow 3 or 4mm at each end for the leads for flat mounting.
3 Values: Before we can determine these we will need to know what voltage is supplied to the dropping resistors on the circuit board just before the plug and socket connection to the lamp wire.
So you will have to do some testing with your multi-meter😲
before you pull anything apart make a sketch of the lamps connections to the board. Switch on your TX and RX - IN THAT ORDER PLEASE!
Switch on each existing light in turn and measure the volts at the socket on the board, referred to the negative of the main battery supply.
Then look for one of those teeny SMD resistors directly connected to the socket pin you've just measured and check the volts at both ends while the lamp is on. Note all these readings on your sketch.
Make a clear photo of this sketch and post it or PM me for my email address. doug-bell@t-online.de that might get deleted by the site system🤔 When we have these readings I can work out some suitable combinations to achieve what you want and minimise the number of different resistors. Basically I need to know if the full 7.2V of the main battery is switched to the resistor by the RX output! If not then what!?
Hope this makes sense 😉 Takes longer to describe than to do it !
Re sourcing: Try Radio Shack. I recently pointed another site colleague (figtree) in this direction for a similar project with his Brooklyn tug.
For instance-
https://www.radioshack.com/collections/resistors/products/50...
This is a collection of so called preferred values, i.e. near enough standard values and cheap to produce by the millions.
For $7.50 it's got all the values you are likely to need for the next 10 years illuminated boating 😁
Cheers, Doug 😎🤓

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

21st Jun 2018 00:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42943

Thanks, Doug.

I’m pretty clear on how to proceed; thanks very much for your detailed instructions. Will you please clarify two things? As I “switch on each existing light in turn” to measure voltages as you describe, should I turn each light off before moving on to the next one or should I leave them turned on until all of the measurements are finished? Also, does “socket” refer to the locations on the board where the wires & components were originally inserted through holes & then soldered in place? I’ll check out the Radio Shack website you mentioned later this evening. I didn’t realize RS still existed as an Internet retailer. Almost all of the RS stores here in the states closed in 2017. There was a Radio Shack store less than a half mile from my home that closed last year. Oh, well.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jun 2018 00:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42944

Mornin' Pete (at least it is here!)
Yes, switch on only one light at a time to avoid any confusion with the readings. Easier to find the 'live one' then.
Socket means the connectors on the circuit board where you told me plugs from the superstructure wiring are connected , and as I saw in your photos.
First job is to trace all wires back from the existing lights and note them on your sketch. If any are directly soldered into the board the procedure is just the same as if it were a socket pin.
I'm particularly curious about the voltage to the bulb, and why it's a bulb in the first place.
Carefully check all other lights, if they are also bulbs we have a slightly different ball game. Still need the voltages though 😉
I guess we are all collectively responsible for the demise of local model shops and Radio Shacks and the like. We all want Rolls Royces and Cadillacs but are only prepared to pay Hyundai and Toyota prices, so we all (me too - Guilty as Charged🤔) buy online from HobbyKing and similar and the local shops starve. Simple economics. Model shop owners gotta eat too!
Sack time now in Munich, tomorrow (today😲) is another day, ciao, Doug 😎🤓

pittsfieldpete
(Sub-Lieutenant)

21st Jun 2018 04:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42945

Hi, Doug:

Somewhere along the way I must have messed up & given you some bad information. There are no connectors in any of the wiring that runs from the circuit board up into the deck house & pilot house. I think at some point I mentioned that I want to put connectors in the wiring which is probably what has caused the mixup. By installing connectors in the wiring I’d be able to completely remove the bottom cover of the deck house (with the circuit board attached to it) & move it safely aside without the risk of damaging the wiring. Then I’ll better access to the deck house interior if I ever need to work on anything inside. Anyway, I’ll use the needlepoint “+” probe on my pen-style multimeter to take all of the readings that are needed to avoid shorts. There are (5) pairs of wires soldered to the board that supply power & ground to the boat’s (4) LEDs & (1) bulb. I don’t think I’ll have any trouble getting the voltage measurements you need. I’ll get a sketch & voltage readings to you as soon as I can. Thanks again for your continued assistance.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jun 2018 07:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42947

Sorry, my mistook🤔
Look forward to the sketch, cheers Doug 😎