Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 3 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > What Li-po?
What Li-po?
(329 views)
Yngvegr
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
2nd Jun 2018 12:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42344

I have been away from this hobby for a long time, but got inspired to get this garage-sale find running. It is a Graupner Commodore, 1970's motor yacht, 70 cm long. It came with all radio, motors, batteries and all, everything works, except the batteries are really old. So I am thinking about replacing the batteries with Li-pos, but what size should I have? The motors in the boat are 2 Mabuchi 540s. Are there problems running brushed motors with Li-pos? Thankful for all advice! :)

Flack
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 171
2nd Jun 2018 22:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42357

I think that if you are considering changing to LiPo's then it is worth the complete transition and also move to brushless motors and appropriate speed controllers. However if you don't wish to go to the expense involved in such a move an appropriate battery size in Lipo would be 7.4v, the higher the capacity in mah will only increase the an mount of time it will last. I think the performance will prove to be exciting.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2047
2nd Jun 2018 23:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42362

Hi Yngvegr, basically I agree with Flack👍
But if you want to go step by step and test it with the 540s first (will give you a Datum to compare with brushless at a later stage) then-
Brushed have no problem with LiPos, or any other battery chemistry for that matter😉
For the voltage anything from 6 to 12V is fine for the 540.
I have two 540s in my 135cm destroyer and she ran just fine on a 6VSLA, with a relay to switch a second one in series for 'All Ahead Emergency'!
Higher capacity brings not only more sailing time but also more weight!
Suggest you weigh the existing batteries and check the waterline and trim in the 'domestic test tank' before you buy the biggest batts you can find😉
If you do go LiPo don't forget to buy an appropriate charger and a Capacity Tester as well!!!
Whatever you do, have fun doing it, cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Tica
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 10
3rd Jun 2018 19:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42384

It's a great old-timer ( It was my boy dream back in time, BTW s... I'm getting old 😱)
Stay with 540's and go for LiPo's, for the difference in weight vs capacity you will get a very long time on the water.
But you need to get a proper high quality balancing charger to take care of your LiPo's.
I have changed to LiPo's in almost all my models.

www.skalamodelskibe.dk
Yngvegr
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
3rd Jun 2018 22:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42396

Thanks a lot Flack RNinMunich and Tica! I tried to read me up on Li-pos, but was even more confused... Your answers is just what I needed! 👍👍👍